Wicking help for paraffin pillar with EO

Help! I'm having trouble finding a suitable wick for an undyed 3" paraffin pillar with 10% stearine, 0.05% UV and 5% Patchouli EO. I started off with a 24 ply flat braid then moved down to a 21 ply then an 18 and finally a 15 ply. I also tried a 3/0 square braid for good measure. In each instance the flame is approx 1.5" high and a full (to overflowing) melt pool is reached within 2 hours. Any suggestions for reducing the flame size (and hopefully the melt pool at the same time) would be greatly appreciated. More or less stearine, more or less EO, etc? I've had other pillars with the opposite problem and am not sure what the cause is. Top, if you're out there and read this, know that I always value your insights. TIA.

I understand the thought behind wicking up to prevent overflowing but I don't think that really addresses the problem in this case, which seems to be a very high burn rate. It's probably just going to result in a bigger flame.

The root of the problem is apparently the EO. I have little experience with EOs in candles and I don't know whether that one is practical to use or not. I don't think I've heard of people using straight patch EO, but let's say for the sake of argument that it could work.

If even small wicks are basically flaring up it seems like the EO is not very compatible with the wax and maybe rather volatile. 5% is a high usage rate with no additives but stearic. I'd start by trying it at 3% and see what difference that makes.

I'm a little surprised you're not reporting that the wick mushrooms and clogs after the candle has been burning for a while. I've seen some fast-burning FOs that are prone to flare up in paraffin/stearic candles, but usually it causes some deterioration of the wick by the end of the test burn. Anyway I'd be interested to hear what happens at 1/2 oz pp.

I agree with Top about the amount of EO you are using. I use Clove EO and when I make anything be it pillar or container I don't use over 1/2 oz pp. I find you can usually decrease the amt of EO in half from regular FO. I only use 2 or 3 EO but that is what I have found in them. hth

Patchouli EO makes a great candle, but is a bear to wick!! I have to agree to try it at a lower useage rate, you will probably have better luck. I use a soy/paraffin blend wax, 1/2 oz./lb Patchouli EO, color it black and use a flat braid #36 for a great burn. Good luck!! :cool2:

Bruce, Mine is thick and dark (and smells horrible). The supplier sells it as an Essential Oil so I don't know if it's diluted with anything or not. Anyway, I've repoured with 3% Patchouli so will test burn tomorrow. Top, my wicks may have got clogged and mushroomed if I'd kept on burning but when I had a huge flame and an equally huge melt pool at the 2 hour mark I gave it up as a bad job and tried a smaller wick. Will report on results as they happen.

Just finished doing a 3-hour test burn with Patchouli at 3% and stearine at 10%. Used a 21 and a 24 ply flat braid and still have a pretty tall flame and a full melt pool. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Scent throw also (naturally) decreased which is a bit of a bummer.

Well I hope you like to test. When I get into a design predicament where there isn't an obvious answer, I try things until I get a handle on it.

Maybe you should vary the stearic amount. Normally it would slow down a burn but I think I see it sometimes have the opposite effect, perhaps by concentrating a fragrance component towards the center of the candle. Maybe 5% is worth a try. Maybe another additive is also worth a try.

What's the MP of the wax?

What's the MP of the wax?

Top, It's 62C (144F). I thought about adding blue dye as colour isn't critical and some blues really seem to clog up a wick. What do you think? In the way of additives I also have vybar 103, micro wax (the soft one) and universal additive if you think that any of those might help. Oh, and I did get huge mushrooming after the 3-hour burn as per your prediction. LOL.

144 F is on the high side. How do your other fragrances burn?

I might try adding 0.5-1.0% micro and see if that slows it down some. Maybe recycle an existing tester and throw it in.

Beyond that you just have to tinker. It's enough of a black art when the pillar is right in front of you to watch it burn. From half a world away it's even harder to guess what to do. The variables with a 3 inch pillar get surprisingly complicated.

All the other additives in your arsenal have potential. It would also be interesting to compare with 5% stearic and 15% stearic.

Update re various remedies for reducing flame size and melt pool:

1) 5% stearine - no (discernible) difference

2) 15% stearine - perfect flame for first couple of hours then turned into a whopper

3) 10% stearine plus 1% micro wax, 21 ply fb: flame started off tallish but has turned into a very nice size and melt pool (2 x 4 hour test burns)

4) 10% stearine plus 1% micro wax, 24 ply fb: pretty huge flame for first 4-hour test burn, then still tall for next 2 hours but very nice for 3rd and 4th hours of second test burn.

So looks like micro wax is the answer this time round.

Top, Thanks for suggesting it.