Foil Baking Cups for Tarts

I have been searching around the net and finally purchased some candy cups, but I don't know where my mind was when I was reading the dimensions -- must have been the cold I have been fighting. :confused: I totally ordered the wrong thing! :o They sure came fast but wish they were the right size. What a waste of money. I may still be able to use them for samples and just put a note saying "use at least three". I looked back on the site and they (CandyPlus) don't seem to have anything larger than what I got. I know I have seen pictures here of some tarts in larger looking cups. For those of you who use these, what size do you use? I want a size inbetween the small candy cups and muffin cups -- believe I have seen this on here in the picture section.

I found some larger baking cups from this place http://www.fancyflours.com/muffin-cup-gold-foil-med.html but they may be slightly too big. If I take the wraps off, I could pour to a certain point and it may be alright but if I decide to leave the wraps, then they may be too big. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bitter Creek has some. They're the size of a mini muffin. Says they hold a little less than one ounce. Both gold and silver.

Thanks Amy, but they look to be the same size as the ones I accidentally ordered. I remember seeing them on BCN and thought they would be too small -- just checked again to make sure. I need some that are slightly bigger. I like my tarts to be no less than 1 oz. and preferably 1.2 or so. Thanks just the same for trying to help. :)

Holly, you can also usually find the Reynolds mini muffin foils at WalMart; my tarts are around 1.1 oz when made in these. I think you get 48 for about $.97. Possibly you could find them cheaper online, but this way you could at least try them out first before buying a bunch.

They are the right size, there are none in between the 1 oz and the regular cup cake size. I pour into these but I pour full and they weigh between 1.2 and 1.6 depending on how I dress them up. KY Candle Supply has them too.

http://www.homemadesoycandles.com/tarts.html

Thanks Sharon. Maybe they are a little bigger than the ones I got or maybe the ones I got hold more than than appear they would. It is hard to compare sizes in pictures. Here are the ones I got:

GoldFoilCups.jpg#5 Gol

1 1/4 inch at the bottom and 3/4 inch tall. I just thought I guess it would flare further out at the top because of another picture of another one with the same measurements...that is what threw me.

I saw yours on your site before. I love the look and boy those look good enough to eat!

There is a picture of some on here that someone posted that appeared wider but not to tall. I will try to find it. Maybe the picture was deceiving -- hard to really tell the size.

Thanks again.

Holly, you can also usually find the Reynolds mini muffin foils at WalMart; my tarts are around 1.1 oz when made in these. I think you get 48 for about $.97. Possibly you could find them cheaper online, but this way you could at least try them out first before buying a bunch.

It seems like everything is at Walmart. I tend to not go there much and I don't live real close to it.....only would go if I am that way. My husband makes the Walmart run. I am in Michaels often, but they did not have the right size...as far as I could tell. They would be more expenisive anyway. I tend to do most of my business shopping online. I am going to go into town today, so I will stop by Walmart......as much as I dread it. Hopefully, I can find them!! :) Thanks!

Well, today I looked for them at Fred Myers, Wallmart and checked Michaels again and no luck. The ones at Wallmart and Michaels were either too big or too small (at least they appeared too small -- pretty much the size I ended up accidentally ordering). The ones that were over at the reynolds wrap were too big. And, I actually want gold, I think I do anyway. I could settle with the silver. I also notice that the bigger they are the less definite the fluted grooves are. I like the ones that have definite creases.

Sharon, you use the ones from Bittercreek, right? If so, I will check their site again and order from there. I sure wish I could just pick these up somewhere local. It never ends up being easy.

Thanks.

Well, today I looked for them at Fred Myers, Wallmart and checked Michaels again and no luck. The ones at Wallmart and Michaels were either too big or too small (at least they appeared too small -- pretty much the size I ended up accidentally ordering). The ones that were over at the reynolds wrap were too big. And, I actually want gold, I think I do anyway. I could settle with the silver. I also notice that the bigger they are the less definite the fluted grooves are. I like the ones that have definite creases.

Sharon, you use the ones from Bittercreek, right? If so, I will check their site again and order from there. I sure wish I could just pick these up somewhere local. It never ends up being easy.

Thanks.

No I don't buy from BitterCreek, never knew they sold them till the other day when I was on their site. Just assumed they were like mine. I have bought from KY and they are the same as mine. And in the store they were always in the baking dept. Where cake mix and such is. Gold is hard to find. Believe me I have looked all over for these things and the gold or silver one piece is what I would love but the company I found that made them, quit making my size. This size fits perfect in the bags I use. I thought about using the plastic portion cups but the cost is way more. The Reynolds cups come all different ways, some have pin holes, pleats are not even, some are tight some are stretched out, some look like bites have been taken out of the sides. I have to throw a lot away, the company says they are not made for wax so tough luck. And even with the waste they are still cheaper than other ways. But always on the look out for something better. HTH

I know exactly what you mean by some being smashed, etc. I noticed yesterday that the larger ones were either stretched at the top and smashed or just smashed (creases were not definite). The small candy size ones holds their shape better. I may look into exactly what size the BCN one's are (measurement) since they have the gold and if they are not right I will go with the size from KY in silver.

Thanks for your help Sharon. :)

No I don't buy from BitterCreek, never knew they sold them till the other day when I was on their site. Just assumed they were like mine. I have bought from KY and they are the same as mine. And in the store they were always in the baking dept. Where cake mix and such is. Gold is hard to find. Believe me I have looked all over for these things and the gold or silver one piece is what I would love but the company I found that made them, quit making my size. This size fits perfect in the bags I use. I thought about using the plastic portion cups but the cost is way more. The Reynolds cups come all different ways, some have pin holes, pleats are not even, some are tight some are stretched out, some look like bites have been taken out of the sides. I have to throw a lot away, the company says they are not made for wax so tough luck. And even with the waste they are still cheaper than other ways. But always on the look out for something better. HTH

I don't know if you could use them for wax or if they have the size you want but, you might check nashvillewraps.com. They have alot of things in the candy line of packaging. Just a thought.

Thanks Kat for mentioning them. I did not realize they had candy cups. I did look and they have the perfect size (1 3/4 x 5/8) but they come in brown. :sad2: It gave me an idea to plug in that exact measurement (since the size looked right) in another search and I found the ones I pasted below. They look heavier than the brown ones but are the same size. I can just toss the wrap and it will leave me with the pretty fluted edges. It is the cleaning of the metal tart molds that I CANNOT handle and that is why I am looking into baking/candy cups. You can get residue left behind from time to time and after smell from the last fragrance. My question is, can the wax be poured in the paper ones? I do clamshells but there are times where I want something prettier to do special packaging.

ETA: I guess it should work for wax since liquid chocolate is poured in them.

PP0601-BRN.jpg

Paper Candy Cups

#601 Brown, White or Holly

Perfect for peanut butter cups (fits mold #ML0110). Fluted, glassine finish cups. Also for mint patties and nut clusters. 1-3/4" x 5/8". Approx. 8 doz. per pkg

#5A size is perfect for Bon-Bons and many other piece candies. 1-1/4" dia. x 3/4".

Now that I think of it though, a lot of times when you take the wrapper off chocolate residue sticks to the sides. You can spray on a release spray on paper. So, if this happens to the wax, they won't look too pretty for packaging. And...I don't want a paper wrap left on. :(:confused:

FYI - I purchase my foil liners from KY and on a whim bought from BCN cause I was placing an order and needed more. They are NOT the same size as KY's. Significantly smaller . . .

Blessings ~ Brenda

Thanks so much Brenda. :) I felt this would be the case. From the picture on BCN they appear to be the size of what I received from Candy Plus which ended up being the wrong size that I did not want. What a pain trying to find the right thing. I can order them from KY and if I decide not to go silver I can always toss the wrap. Do you pour into both the paper and foil or just the foil. I would think that using both would be sturdier but if I want to toss the wrap the paper may take a layer of wax with it. I will have to try it and see. I will run a test with my smaller ones that I have this weekend and go from there.

I pour into both the paper and the foil and yes, they are a bit sturdier. For my tarts I use 75% container parasoy and 25% pillar wax. When removing the paper and foil from the tart I haven't experienced any remaining wax staying in the paper part of the liner. I have also poured straight container parasoy and haven't had any problems with those either as far as wax sticking. HTH - Good luck pouring these, they are soooo easy :yay:

I use both layers, as well, and don't notice the paper not turning loose from the wax. But if you don't want to leave the paper on, have you considered looking for silicone mini muffin molds and using those? The pleats will be perfect every time; no worry about cups that get out of round or are uneven. You may have to wash in between scents to get rid of any lingering smell, but I don't think you'd have the wax residue problem like sometimes comes up with the metal tart molds (unless a very soft wax was being used). I haven't tried these myself, but I know that others use various shapes of silicone molds to make tarts.

Maybe I shouldn't butt in cuz maybe I don't really know as I don't use either, lol...:lipsrseal

But- just from reading this thread, if I was to look to buy something similar I think I would need to steer away from 'candy foils' and make sure i'm getting 'mini muffin' foils- as far as size and being sure they are not too small or too big.

Also, once you find the right size, you can use your tins as trays just to hold up the paper cup and not worry as much or at all about them not supporting the liquid wax. This will also make it possible to move them aside if you need to and or even stack them for mass production:grin2: And when you peel the papers / foils off, i'm guessing you should only do this when they are completely cool and hard. Like days later, lol, to prevent knicks and fingernail nips. Especially if you use paper ones, seems this would give the oils in the wax a chance to set into the paper and no longer have a dry surface that wants to 'stick' to your melt. Isn't that one of the reasons decals on pillars eventually come off? Just thinking out loud, though.

I plan to try it someday but have not dove in as of yet. But I do make my fire starters in the mini muffin paper cups and use the minimuffin baking pan as a tray. I just have not run out of my original supply yet, lol. Good luck finding the size that is right for your perfect melts!

Antonio, it is my experience that, if you use the mini muffin foils, about any wax will do (unless you plan to peel the paper off like Holly). In that case, or if you want to use the metal tart molds, you would need to go with a wax that is made for votives so that the tarts would unmold easily and not be as messy to handle.