Bad FO or Bad Wax?

I got some 4630 from Lonestar Candle Supply and cookies n cream FO from them. I was making a batch tonight and wanted to do half white half dark brown so I added the scent first, it didn't blend into the wax. I stirred for 3 minutes then re heated. I heated to 175 and still no change. Does this wax need to be heated higher? Not sure what's going on with it. I used 8% FO.

I got some 4630 from Lonestar Candle Supply and cookies n cream FO from them. I was making a batch tonight and wanted to do half white half dark brown so I added the scent first, it didn't blend into the wax. I stirred for 3 minutes then re heated. I heated to 175 and still no change. Does this wax need to be heated higher? Not sure what's going on with it. I used 8% FO.

Here is one...there is more info on the board.....you can search for it

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53371&highlight=mix+fo

I like Vio's suggestion. If it's a stubborn FO, 185 might be even better but no hotter than that.

The temperature at the time you put the FO in the wax is important. If it doesn't mix right off the bat, it will probably take forever no matter how much you subsequently heat it.

I would back off on the fragrance too. Those food scents often don't mix well but they throw well, so you generally don't need anywhere near 8%.

• 1 month later...

We use 4630 and always heat to 175-180, then add FO and color.

I may try cooling it a bit before pouring, though. In our 10 oz apothecary jars it isn't as noticeable, but I see a very slight "dip" in the finished product. Maybe pouring cooler will help that a bit.

I would back off on the fragrance too. Those food scents often don't mix well but they throw well, so you generally don't need anywhere near 8%.

I have to agree here, I think that 8% FO load is a bit high. I typicaly use 3/4 to 1oz per lb of wax no mater what wax or FO I am using and have not had this problum myself.

I always add my FO & Dye around 185-190.

I too add my FO at the 180-190* range, no matter what wax I'm using. I stir & watch till I can see that it has incorporated then add my dye. Once the dye is in, you can't see if your FO is settling. I will not waste my money on a FO that requires an 8% load...but that's just me.