Domain Dilemma

number2of7

The .com domain name that I want is taken. I typed it in to see what they had on their site.....it says, "nothing to see here, move along." What the???

Anyway, the .net version is available, but I'm afraid of buying and using that one for fear that people will put in the .com because that's what they're used to....they'll see that message and assume I don't exist.

Now, if I put dashes inbetween my title, then the .com version is available that way, but again, I'm afraid that people won't remember to put them in.....and that idiot would once again ruin my sales.

I was thinking of just coming up with a completely different domain name, but it obviously would be different from my business name. Would this even work? Do any of you have a web address different from the name on your candle labels? Does it cause any confusion?

Any suggestions???

I don't think I'd want the .net or the hyphenated version either, for the same reason you mentioned. Which would mean I would have to think of a different name, assuming my business name is already set and can't be changed. I'm not really sure people assume your domain name would match your business name. I do have a domain matching my business name, but I always get asked what the domain is. The way everyone asks, it is as if they thought it would be something different. So, it's possible it wouldn't cause confusion.

Honestly, I try to go with a different name. As a web surfer, I never think of .net. I look a lot of stuff up and .net never even crossed my mind. And as far as dashes, I hate them. Especially if I have use the shift key to type in the name. Also I would never remember to use them either.

As far as the site you checked saying there is nothing there...the site is probably in the process of being built or the owner is getting their product ready. If they are going to sell something similar to yours they they may hit you with a cease and desist order. Obviously they have the site/name first because they have the site reserved. If none of the above happens, then all of the above happens, and you do get the .net I'd bet all of your potential customers would go to the .com site anyway.

Keeping in mind that I don't sell anything yet, but I don't think I'd have a candle name different from my website if I could help it. There is just too much confusion and too many other candle sites to shop from. Meaning if they don't get to yours first then they may shop from the one they land on.

Sorry to sound like a downer but that is just my opinion.

PS

I could throw in there that there are a lot of us baby boomers who just don't have the time or inclination to search someone out. Not counting the short term memory to try to remember all of the dots and dashes. But I won't. :D

Another thing to check on, see what company has the site registered, go to the host site and check to see if the domain is for sale.

I don't know what exactly you are wanting to get, but a lot of times, if it's popular or has been searched recently, people snap up the name and try to hold it ransom so to speak.

The .com domain name that I want is taken. I typed it in to see what they had on their site.....it says, "nothing to see here, move along." What the???

I had the exact same problem. From what I researched, if it's a somewhat common name, it's more than likely being held by "broker" (or whatever they're called). When the name expires, they they have automatic agents (or whatever they're called) go in a snatch them up to resell later at a high price. In my case, that was over 2 yrs ago and the site is STILL "parked" and registered for 8 more years. Can ya tell I'm not real familiar with the correct terminology...LOL. Course I may be way off base too :P

My solution was to add "Online" at the end. Made the name rather long, but no dashes or .net :smiley2:

Another thing to check on, see what company has the site registered, go to the host site and check to see if the domain is for sale.

I don't know what exactly you are wanting to get, but a lot of times, if it's popular or has been searched recently, people snap up the name and try to hold it ransom so to speak.

Yeah! That was what I was trying to say! You did it faster and clearer :laugh2:

How can I find out which company has the site registered? When I go through GoDaddy, it only gives the owner's name and a p.o. box (from the WhoIs database).

I appreciate everyone's help and input.

personally, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of drama from a website anyway. If someone is searching for a candle to buy, millions of sites will come up. If they are looking for your store, then they can google your name and it will come up. I do that with KY candle supply all the time (just because that particular bookmark is so far down my list that I'd have to scroll, and for whatever reason, I end up googling instead of scrolling). Another thing to remember is that most people bookmark sites. If your name is abbreviated a bit (2ofseven.com abbreviated into TofS.com for example), it wouldn't matter because your customers would have it bookmarked. Google is everyone's friend, don't underestimate the perseverence of some people. If I want Ky candle supply, I'll find it.

personally, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of drama from a website anyway. If someone is searching for a candle to buy, millions of sites will come up. If they are looking for your store, then they can google your name and it will come up. I do that with KY candle supply all the time (just because that particular bookmark is so far down my list that I'd have to scroll, and for whatever reason, I end up googling instead of scrolling). Another thing to remember is that most people bookmark sites. If your name is abbreviated a bit (2ofseven.com abbreviated into TofS.com for example), it wouldn't matter because your customers would have it bookmarked. Google is everyone's friend, don't underestimate the perseverence of some people. If I want Ky candle supply, I'll find it.

Very good food for thought, but I was worried about having a different to use a different domain name than what my company name is. Google is your friend, but only if you know "who" you're looking for. Since the name of my company is already taken by someone else, I'm afraid that if a person buys one of my candles and wants another, they'll automatically start looking for me based on my company name and will find that other person instead.

Hence my dilemma of choosing a domain name different than my company name.....:(

When you do decide on a name and domain make sure you buy

the .com and .net.

Mine is .com and for 12.00 more a year I purchased the .net and have all hits directed to my .com site.

I did this for the reasons you stated above.. If someone wants to use a similar name as mine and use .net I did not want any confusion or lose sales.

$12.00 more a year is worth the investment IMO...:cheesy2:

I had the same issue. My business name was set, didn't want to change it, but someone had bought the .com. So what I did was just added "An" to the beginning (ex:www.businessname.com, just add something like www.thebusinessname.com) It seems to work out fine for me and I just make sure to boldly put my website on all businees cards, etc. so that people can differentiate between my website addy and actual business name. HTH!

I would do as some have suggested and rack your brain for the perfect add on word to make it different.

For instance, if you were SuzyQLane.com then you might chage that to SuzyQLaneProducts.com or SuzyQLaneStore.com. Or maybe add 'bySusie' or 'mystore', etc.

I know that doesn't help entirely with how to keep searches from finding the other guy, but there may not be anything you can do about that if you can't change the business name. There will always be mispellings and confusions and getting names crossed. But you can do everything you CAN to have a memorable name, logo, gimmick, etc that will help the searcher know if has found the right place or not.:cheesy2: Best of luck.

I had the same problem, the .com was taken. I went with the .net anyway. It has worked out fine. If I google my name, even if I use .com, I am the first on the list.

I didn't want to use any of the other stuff, and I definitely wanted to use my business name. As someone said, it isn't that big of deal, I don't think. If they are looking for your business, they will use the name and call it up. If they are using a generic, such as candles, you probably will be on page million.

Just to add that the .com on mine has been taken forever it seems with really nothing much on it and all the .com versions. We did settle on a .net and the versions around it have all been snatched up. Sometimes I wonder if you check on a domain if someone doesn't see it and buys it in hopes you'll buy from them. People get used to what your website is though if you have it in front of them enough and a product that they love.