Not so sure about SFIC LS MP

JacquiO

I sampled 4lbs from CT member. Who I thank profusely since I really wanted to try SFIC low sweat white since so many boardies rave about SFIC.

First off soon as I unwrapped it the soap absolutely reaked of isopropyl alchohol. I have no idea why it woud smell this way. I though perhaps it had been spritzed with alchohol to get the plastic wrap to adhear so well but as it melted I could not get the smell to go away. It made it really difficult to judge fragrance and I kept adding more EO and FO to try to cover it up. Even now after 2 days I can still smell the alchohol.

Also it's so soft. I don't like how soft it is. I can easily leave finger prints and I find that very annoying.

Well that's my rant about SFIC Low sweat. Don't really care for it. Not trying to knock SFIC. They have plenty of different types of bases to try but I think I'm going to stick with candleandsupplies. Their bases were fantastic and hard and really moisturizing.

I sampled 4lbs from CT member. Who I thank profusely since I really wanted to try SFIC low sweat white since so many boardies rave about SFIC.

First off soon as I unwrapped it the soap absolutely reaked of isopropyl alchohol. I have no idea why it woud smell this way. I though perhaps it had been spritzed with alchohol to get the plastic wrap to adhear so well but as it melted I could not get the smell to go away. It made it really difficult to judge fragrance and I kept adding more EO and FO to try to cover it up. Even now after 2 days I can still smell the alchohol.

Also it's so soft. I don't like how soft it is. I can easily leave finger prints and I find that very annoying.

Well that's my rant about SFIC Low sweat. Don't really care for it. Not trying to knock SFIC. They have plenty of different types of bases to try but I think I'm going to stick with candleandsupplies. Their bases were fantastic and hard and really moisturizing.

Hmm, that DOES NOT sound like SFIC LS that you used. Their bases have no alcohol in them. I can't imagine why you would smell alcohol. LS white shouldn't be soft or show fingerprints. It should have a dry, matte-like look to it, not shiny like most M&P..comparable to CP soap in it's appearance once it sets up.

I've used all of their bases and the LS white is what I use exclusively now. Next to the Shea & Cocoa Butter bases, the LS white is pretty darn hard & the extra hard base is as hard as the CCB. Sometimes the cut-outs can have an odd aroma, but that goes away when melted & fo is added. But still no alcohol smell.

When I decided to use SFIC, I purchased the sampler pack from them. Then I found a less expensive supplier, bought some bases, and compared the two, just to be sure of what I was getting.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the base. I think it rocks!

Might you consider getting a # or 2 from a supplier?

They were labeled Peaks with LS White written on them. Again I have no idea why it would smell so strong of alcohol or be so soft. And they smelled like that soon as I unwrapped them and stayed that way as they melted. They were in 1lb bars which I know SFIC has discontinued and they look just like their picture. I know that SFIC is doing away with the 1lb bars. I don't know how old the bars I received are.

I don't think I will be giving them a second chance however. I have better things to spend money on.

If you've tried C&S's bases you may know what kind of difference I'm talking about.

We use the SFIC goatsmilk and love it. It DOES smell like alcohol and I even contacted the supplier about it. They assured me that that's how they got it, they only repackaged it to sell in smaller quantities. As far as it being soft, ours is a bit softer but we like it like that. It's much easier to manage when pouring small batches.

It's either not SFIC or someone remelted, added a gob of additives and then sprayed the heck out of it with alcohol (maybe to remove the bubbles?). Also, SFIC soaps are usually more 'rubber-like'...not 'soft'.

I buy mine from Peaks.

If you bought in the classifieds, them maybe that's what happen. They messed up a batch with alcohol, remelted it, put it back in the container and resold it. Many times you take a risk when shooping in classies so you learn to be careful. I would order the sample of ALL of the base directly from the website. They have a sample pack for about $35.00 , which is an excellent deal. Don't judge the base on what you bought because it sounds like someone played with it before sending it to you. JMO

Fire:confused:

I tried other bases too and kept going back to C&S. Their bases make the best M&P soap I have tried.

This is good to know....I had a bunch in my c&s shopping cart, but wasn't sure how it would be. Do you like them all?? Any you would stay away from?

I haven't done M&P for a few years.

I tried NG's along time ago...it was ok.

I tried SFIC, that to me had a really funky smell.....all the types I tried...shaving, shea, and goats milk. The funk came through the fo. That's when I stopped doing m&p.

I have been searching all over the board for some advice on what m&p is the best.....both lather and longevity.

Hi Chrisinpa,

I haven't tried a lot of M&P soaps. I did make 5 loafs out of C&S soap bases.

I tried:

Cocoa Butter

Mango Butter

Hemp Oil

Soy

Honey Glycerin

I mixed the bases to get a blend of oils and butters so I can't say for sure how each holds up on it's own but they lather very nicely even after adding powdered oatmeal and other botanicals. I used primarily EOs which took really well to these bases. The bases themselves have virtually no smell and I only needed to add relatively small quantities of EO to get a really nice smelling soap. You could also tell the strength as you were mixing them which I really liked.

What impressed me the most was how mosturizing they are. Friends I've given them to have commented on that also.

Again I haven't tried many other bases other then the SFIC in this thread so I can't give any kind of comparison but for me considering how close C&S is and that the shipping is practically overnight I think they are a really good choice.

I just got my second order in and I'm also going to try the Shea Butter and the Aloe Glycerin soon.