shelf life of a paraffin candle

How long will a paraffin candle keep? I've not done alot of work with paraffin and I was wondering...once poured...how long could a paraffin candle be stored? Does the scent change in any way if stored for long periods of time? And one last question, does storing a paraffin container candle for long periods of time change the way it burns?

Kim

Hi Kim,

Well, I had hundreds of candles left over from 2006 holiday season (I got carried away with my helper pouring). Anyway, I had about 600 candles left and put them in a local antique store this past year. Well, most of them looked OK, except the ones that had vanilla in them, they kinda got brownish, but the scent was the same as if I made it last week!

Side note: I did sell them all with the exception of about 125 of them, which are still in the store and still selling. It doesn't seem to matter much to the customers, of course, I have the price reduced "FOR QUICK SALE". I'm stilling burning "older" candles in my house and they are awesome!

So, my opinion is, is that they will still be just as good, but may look a little bit tweeked! LOL

HTH!

Carrie

I had a red candle that started fading after four years, a light blue one that faded after five and I've seen white ones get an orange spot, but they had no additives either. I think it depends on how you have them stored, because I have honker of a spruce christmas tree one that's still fresh and as green as it was poured four years ago.

Several years ago I moved into a rented house. The lady who had owned it had been dead for 5 years and there was a bag of pillar candles in the closet. The closet smelled awesome. Anyway her son said that they had been hers and I could have them.They burned and smelled as good as any other candle I have burned. They had of course been stored in the dark.But I am guessing that the shelf life of any paraffin candle will depend on the type of fragrance oils and dyes. And I have no idea how long UV protection lasts in a candle.