Tiny Air Bubbles in Mottled Pillars

Hi All,

I'm trying to pour mottled pillars, I'm using the IGI 1274, pouring at about 180, 5% fragrance, and 4% stearic. What I'm getting is little to no mottling, and tiny air bubbles all over the candle. What can I do to prevent this? I believe they cooled very slowly, I let the 3X6 sit for over 8 hours and it was still slightly warm to the touch. Some have a little mottling, but not much. TIA!

Couple of questions for you:

How are you pouring? You may need to slow it down a little. Guessing you could be pouring too fast and not all the bubbles are breaking free. You can look down the sides of your mold and see any bubbles that have attached themselves. They are shiny.

Are your molds clean?

Are you removing them after 8 hours? And if so, how? I'd leave them alone over night and see what happens, but maybe you do. Sometimes the mottling has been slow to react and sometimes it isn't.

The amount of steric you have in there shouldn't affect the candles, it's less than 2 heaping Tablespoons. The amount of FO, is around what the wax holds. You could try bumping up the amount of FO a little bit and see what it does and you could try pouring a little hotter. It's going to take a little experimenting on your end to see if you can get something to work. Some argue that heat has nothing to do with mottle, but I have better luck with higher temps than without them.

I use that same wax and pour at 190 and add 3 TB of steric. Like Scented said, the slower you pour the better for the little air bubbles. That to me is the hardest thing to control in pillars period. If you are using wick pins it helps with the bubbles if you pour down the wick pin instead of directly into the mold. I read a post somewhere where someone used a table spoon and poured down-into and that helped with the air also. I tried it and it seemed to help but was just to time consuming and trouble. This I think was in container candles. I have just learned if you pour real slow it is better all the way around.

I have also found it is easier to pour from the large pour pitcher instead of the small one. I only fill my pour pitcher not quite 1/2 full also. If I am pouring a real large pillar I will use 2 pour pitchers and pour from both at the same time. There again smaller amounts in each and sometimes it takes more than what I like to pour in large pitcher to pour 1 mold. Like the 4x6 mold or the large 3-wick pillars.

Know it sounds like more work but everyone has found something that works for them and may not work for someone else.hth

Other than what's been said, all I can think of is making sure everything you use is absolutely clean. In the mottling factor anyway. If you've used the pour pots or stir sticks or anything else with another wax that's preblended or you've added vybar to, it maybe be discouraging the mottle. I don't do them a lot because it's a pain to get everything additive free when I mostly use preblends. For me, even the slightest vybar or UA type additives diminishes the mottle :(