Eco wick help

Hello all,

I made a blueberry muffin 1.25oz/pp, CBA, 3.5 inch diam apothecary candle. The first test burn it got a great mp, all the way to edges, nice depth, things were looking good. The second test it had a VERY small flame, and only tunnelled and eventually died. I am confused by the results. It actually looked like the wick was clogged. Now I do test as I think people (including me) burn. I light them and let them go till bed time. Usually around 12 hours. I have never seen this happen. I have had it tunnel right away with too small of a wick, but not on a secnd burn.

Can anyone give some help with this situation. I was actually liking the ECO wicks as they do not shroom. I am also testing RRD and CD in the same batch and same way. NO clogging on them.

TIA

Danielle

Has that happened only with that one FO? If so there may just be something funky going on with the wax, FO and wick. You may find that FO just needs something different than the rest.

Oh and are you using a dye? There have been cases in the past where the dye has screwed things up.

I light them and let them go till bed time. Usually around 12 hours.

I do two types of tests with candles. First for wickng, second to see how it stands up to abuse.

When I do a test burn for wicking, I burn the candle for 1 hour per inch of diameter. When the time's up, I extinguish the candle and record the results. I trim the wick before the second burn and repeat. This is a different process than doing "power burns" where I light the candle and let 'er rip to see what happens if someone burns it in a thoughtless manner. I think of power burning as something that comes after the wicking test. It is a second test to make SURE that my wicking is "dialed in" to perform adequately under extreme abuse conditions. I hope that makes sense... :D

I think your test period was too long to give you good data. HTH :)

yes, liquid dye. not that much only 6 drops pp.

Thanks for catching that.

This is the first FO I am testing with the ECO wicks.

ECO 14

When I test, I am watching, making sure the MP is achieved in the right amount of time, then I let it burn. The weird part is it was great the first day. Great everything... then when I blew them out for the night and started again the next afternoon is when the problem showed up. I have not had a wick do that. Normally if it is going to fail bad, I know it on the first burn. I had previously tested a step down in all the wicks and knew they were too small right away.

Sometimes a full MP isnt achieved on the 1st burn, I know I wanted that when I 1st started making candles but then realized with the help of others thats its OK if it doesnt get to that full MP cause it will catch up on like the 2nd and 3rd burn.

Gdawg,

The first was great, the second is the one that puked out really bad. I assume by the way it died and refused to relight this morning it was clogged. I just never had a wick burn so well then later take a big ol' crapola!!

Test and learn!!

Danielle

it is the widest part.... the opening is just under 3 inches. I have tested many candles in these jars, just never ran across this problem.

I don't fill them up to the smaller part, I stop the wax right were it starts to curve in.

Like I said I have an RRD50 and a CD18 testing in the same batch with great results.

I really liked the way the ECO 14 started out too... GGRRRRRR

OH well maybe I will try it in a different FO. Maybe I got a sucky wick, is that possible? Maybe I should try a different ECO 14.

I do two types of tests with candles. First for wickng, second to see how it stands up to abuse.

When I do a test burn for wicking, I burn the candle for 1 hour per inch of diameter. When the time's up, I extinguish the candle and record the results. I trim the wick before the second burn and repeat. This is a different process than doing "power burns" where I light the candle and let 'er rip to see what happens if someone burns it in a thoughtless manner. I think of power burning as something that comes after the wicking test. It is a second test to make SURE that my wicking is "dialed in" to perform adequately under extreme abuse conditions. I hope that makes sense... :D

I think your test period was too long to give you good data. HTH :)

I do the exact same thing. I just need to know my candle will perform in either case. There are some people who DO trim wicks....believe it or not!:)

tootie

Thank you all for the input. I will continue testing soon, I kinda got side tracked making tarts. It was SOOO much fun!! Now I just need to decide on a name and what style labels I want so I can get them out for friends to test.

(I don't want people to test for me if they are not complete!)

Happy candle making

Danielle

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but depending on the dye, 6 drops can be a lot of dye to a lb can't it? I know when I first started making candles I was trying to get the color I wanted for a plumeria candle and I used a lot of dye - that thing wouldn't burn good for nothing. Just a thought:confused:

There are some people who DO trim wicks....believe it or not!:)

You mean CUSTOMER type people? *faint*

Sorry, tootie, couldn't help myself!! In all fairness, we DO have some really great customers who actually do the right thing with candles, but then again, there are those others...:rolleyes2 We can't test for EVERYTHING that could possibly happen, but I'm with you - I feel a little better knowing that IF they don't bother with any of the *normal* requisites of candleburning that the ones they buy from me will still burn well without becoming torches or drowning.

FF, when I let out candles for testing to others, I don't waste my good labels on 'em! We use very few outside testers, so since they are getting free candles, I don't mind being a little cheap about the labels. At first, I did the same thing as you - packaged and labeled as if I were selling them, but the first time I ran short on labels, I cut back. ;)

Have fun - it never hurts to see how your presentation is working. :)

I have the tarts in poly bags (2 per bag), twist tied with the tops flared out with the warning label and they actually look cute! I guess it wouldn't hurt to send them out for testing and feedback that way.

I know who I give them too, and they know who they get free stuff from!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I started testing the blueberry candles again. I was testing 5 different wick this time. I liked the ECO14 so I bumped it up to a 16. Same thing. First burn great!! Second burn, puked out again.

The first burn, 4.5 hours, the MP got almost to the edges. Looked very nice, NO shroom. The second, only choked along for maybe 2 hours before it died. The recipe is the same as the first test. Should I try a bigger wick? I am not sure how the eco's run since this is my first experience with them.

I am also testing RRD, CDN, Superior and Premier, all with great results except for the shrooms.

Any help or suggestions would be wonderful!

TIA

Danielle

I just tested an eco 14 against an lx 26 and They both did good with like a burn clean ect and after about the 3rd burn a full MP was there all they way to the end. The eco had more wax left on the bottom of the jar though then I wanted so I think I will go with the lx 26 (of course will be testing again to make sure)

I used 6% of x-mas pear in a couple and then 6% of redwood and cedar in a couple in ecosoya 135. I have aslo found that as much as I like the RRD's I dont like the mushrooms they produce.

not much of a help with your question sorry but wanted to let you know my testing results with an eco:cheesy2:

might the eco wicks be more "sensitive" that they are the only ones that puke out??

It boggles my mind! LOL

I guess I can either cut the FO down to 1oz/pp or maybe up the eco! GGRRRRR I like the fact that I don't get shroom with them and they are a straight wick, no bend or curl!! What other wicks are non-bending? All the other ones I have seem to curl!

TIA

Danielle

If you want a nice straight wick, go to Peak's & check out their cotton core wicks. I use them in my paraffin pillars and really like them in the square pillars since there is little to no curl. I don't have a clue how to judge the sizes for containers though!!

Those were the first wicks I tried. I got the C-80's with my first order with my wax and stuff. They drowned out and after that I read on the NGI web site that they didn't recommend cored wicks with the CBA so I switched. I might have to give them a try again.

Thanks for the help

Danielle