How long to cool hurricane shell?

My daughters and I made our first hurricane shell today, using IGI-1260 wax poured into a 5" diameter x 6.5" deep mold. We let it cool so that the shell is roughly 1/2" thick. Ballpark...how long should we let this thing cool before trying to remove it? I know there are lots of variables to consider, but roughly how long should I be waiting? 1 day? 2 days? It's our first, so I'll wait as long as it takes.

Cheers,

Mark

I recommend overnight. If it doesn't slide right out easily, wait a bit longer. Sometimes I'll refrigerate for an hour or so if I get impatient, but NO freezer. It never hurts to check sooner, but don't fuss with it. Tip it upside down, if it slides out, it's been long enough.

Let us know how it goes Mark. I generally let mine set for 8 hrs before trying to get them out. If it doesn't slide right out try putting it in the fridge (not freezer) for 10 minutes. General rule of thumb is 10 min. in the water bath and 10 -15 min. on the counter to get a shell 1/4 - 3/8" thick. That is for wax poured at 190 degrees.

Let us know how it goes Mark. I generally let mine set for 8 hrs before trying to get them out. If it doesn't slide right out try putting it in the fridge (not freezer) for 10 minutes. General rule of thumb is 10 min. in the water bath and 10 -15 min. on the counter to get a shell 1/4 - 3/8" thick. That is for wax poured at 190 degrees.

Will be sure to let you know. It should be plenty ready to go at this point, but I'll wait a little while longer today before trying it. Gotta wait until the wife can't catch me doing it.

- Mark

I recommend overnight. If it doesn't slide right out easily, wait a bit longer. Sometimes I'll refrigerate for an hour or so if I get impatient, but NO freezer. It never hurts to check sooner, but don't fuss with it. Tip it upside down, if it slides out, it's been long enough.

Woo hoo! After a day's wait in the garage and 10 mins in the refrigerator, it came out just fine. The shell looks great, if only a little scuffed-up from a tiny bit of mishandling.

Question: How does one go about prettying-up the exterior of the shell? It has a seam line from the mold, and I can already see little smudges on it from (grrrr) my seven-year old daughter's dinner.

Cheers,

Mark

Congratulations!

You can trim the seam with a sharp knife. Lay it on it's side almost parallel to the wax and just barely run it along the seam. You want to remove only the thinnest layer, repeat if necessary. If you use too much pressure or try to trim off thick wax you'll often make it worse or even gouge the wax. :shocked2:

For fingerprints, you can buff it gently with a piece of nylon pantyhose or just a paper towel. It'll give it a kinda brushed look. There's a recipe floating around here for a polish to prevent fingerprints but I don't remember off the top of my head, I've never tried it. It's very difficult to get a perfect smooth shiny surface back with most waxes. Personally I cheat. After "polishing" it with nylon, I spray a couple thin coats of glaze or clear acrylic paint (much easier on squares since you can do one side at a time). No more fingerprints or smudges or nothing. Though you can't remelt it to try again after it's coated so make sure you're happy with it ;)

Good Going!

Be sure and post a picture in the gallery. Like SD said a little buffing will take care of the smudge. I also spray all of mine with Krylon clear acrylic spray.

Pic coming perhaps later today. I haven't prettied the hurricane up yet, but I'll go ahead and post a raw pic anyhow.

Cheers,

Mark

Pic coming perhaps later today. I haven't prettied the hurricane up yet, but I'll go ahead and post a raw pic anyhow.

Cheers,

Mark

Alright....well, here's just one pic of our first hurricane shell.

Disclaimers:

1) Again, this was our first shot at it

2) I'm by no means a photographer, so this cruddy pic is the best you'll get. :tongue2:

3) Aside from heat-smoothing the top a little bit, nothing has been done to clean the shell up. The debris on the right-hand side of the candle is not affixed to the candle; it's just kinda loosely stuck on their and has already been brushed aside.

Enjoy...I s'pose.

photo#5160677568356792802

Mark

Thanks, y'all. It has a few problems that aren't quite visible in the pic, but I think I will be able to clean it up. This was pretty easy, actually, but I'm sure it was just beginners luck. Well, perhaps not totally luck. Your tips here plus great instructions on the CandleTech site really helped out.

We have one more to try to do this week before my wife's parents show up for her birthday. The next one will have one pic on each side of the hurricane, and we're going to give that one to her folks. The one that is finished now will be my wife's birthday gift from me and our beautiful daughters.

Incidentally, our daughters were just beaming with pride at the results that we got from this first hurricane. Quite a joy to see their happiness at something that they had helped so much with.

Cheers,

Mark

Dear... darling..d#^%#!... whatever you choose :tongue2:

Congrats! You made an awesome 'cane! Very hard to believe it's your first :shocked2: Beautiful family too :)

Well, thank you very much. I am proud of how this turned out, and I look forward to the next one so that I can correct a few of the minor mistakes.

And thanks for the kind comment about my girls. I love them dearly, and just seeing their smiles in that pic makes my heart skip a little.

Question: All of this remaining wax from the pour-off...do I need to do anything special with it to ensure its quality when I go to use it for the next hurricane? From all I can tell so far, all that I need to do is remelt this wax and then add some more to bring it back up to the right amount for the next one. Is that right?

Cheers,

Mark

Yup, that's all you need to do. Keep it clean and dust free and you're good to go :)

Curious... what are you going to use inside it/them? You haven't mentioned...

Electric tealights are safe and easy but the ones I've tried don't put out much light. Use caution if you use votives. I find that they will soften or even lightly melt the inside of the shell. My favorite is regular tealights. However, I use protection in the bottom no matter what I have burning inside. I put tealights in a little glass oyster cup (50cents at Walmart) or cut a small circle of cork sheeting and "glue" in the bottom. Other people have better luck, but for me, even tealights start melting into the bottom if you leave them burning long enough :(