Thinking of making a Castile Soap this Weekend

8-GRAN-ONES

I have read quite abit about making Castile Soap...

I am thinking of making some this weekend.

Do those of you that have made it, like it better when you

use some castor oil? Or another oil for some bubblige?

Just want some imput on what is the best..

And do you recommend a water discount?

I did mine w/ 90% OO, 5% castor and 5% babbasu. It bubbles ok, but still a bit too much on the slimy side for me. :tiptoe: I think I'll try 10% castor and 10% babassu next time like Meredith suggested.

Definately discount the water....I did my lye solution at 35% and cut it 24 hours later....still cured for a LONG time though. Make the castille now....6 months from now you may want some. LOL.

Donna

I did mine w/ 90% OO, 5% castor and 5% babbasu. It bubbles ok, but still a bit too much on the slimy side for me. :tiptoe: I think I'll try 10% castor and 10% babassu next time like Meredith suggested.

Definately discount the water....I did my lye solution at 35% and cut it 24 hours later....still cured for a LONG time though. Make the castille now....6 months from now you may want some. LOL.

Donna

you said 35% lye solution...do you also change the water too?

My Almost Castile is 75% OO, 23% Babassu and 2% Meadowfoam Seed Oil, using 40.5% lye solution (40% water discount) and 100% fresh goat's milk for my liquid. I cure a good 6 months, but it's a great bubbly bar with no slime and leaves you silky, soft skin. It makes a great soap for my overly sensitive face. :cool2:

I recomend using some palm and castor in there. 100% castile always sounds like a great idea, but its really not a good soap. If you just add a little palm and castor, it will still be very mild and creamy, yet last longer in the shower and be less slimey. Try 70% olive, 25% palm and 5% castor.

you said 35% lye solution...do you also change the water too?

The amount of lye needed to saponify the oils is a fixed rate. The percentage of the lye solution is the ratio of lye to water. The more water, the lower the lye concentration. Less water equals a higher percent solution.

If you use soap calc, in the upper right hand corner is "lye concentration." You enter the percentage that you want, click set and the lye calc willl give you the correct amount of water to make that percentage of lye solution.

Castile soap is defined as "mostly olive oil", I always use 10% castor in mine and leave it unsccented as a hypoallergenic type bar.

e

Yup, yup with the water discount. Unless you are constantly producing and have time to spare with waiting, I'd discount. Even with time to spare, I'd discount.

As far as the castor--try some with and some w/o. See what you like. If you're not worried about it being 100% OO, I'd slip in some castor at 10%, or CCO/palm.

I make Castile-types all the time. One of the ones I love to do has 80% OO, 10% Castor, 10% Babassu (or Coconut Oil), and 1/3 of my liquid amount as fresh goat milk. It's absolutely lovely. I just recently used a one year old bar of this particular type and it was just awesome. It was good and hard, creamy and bubbly, and contained no 'slime'.

MarieJeanette