Downsizing Or Getting Out?

HeavenScentU

I'm trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. Sales have been good, but mostly for my container candles and some lotions. My tarts haven't done very well and neither have tart warmers.

People just don't have the disposable income they had a year or so ago. When store brand milk is almost $4.00 per gallon, I'm sure it's more in other places, that just doesn't leave much for non-necessities.

Geez, what to do?:confused: I make 8 oz. and 16 oz. sq. mason jars, large 44 oz. enamel mugs, and an 11 oz. enamel mug, now I've added the 3-piece canister set in white (3 diff. sizes). I'm really having trouble deciding what to drop, possibly my 16 oz. sq. mason jar as they really don't sell very well and the large enamel mugs just aren't avail. in the colors that really sold for me. Not many people want yellow, green and blue. My best sellers were Red, White & Black. About 85% of my business is wholesale and only one customer orders the 16 oz. and mugs only. The others don't order the 16 oz.:sad2:

I've also this past year cut back my scent selection from 105 to about 35 or so. Just not enough hrs. in a day, plus my age & full time work! LOL:mad:

I'm also trying to go to containers that don't require that I be real concious with wet spots and the crappy looking candles I get during the winter time since I don't heat my jars any longer in my ELECTRIC DOUBLE OVEN (more $$). Just trying to make it easier on me and my mom too. It's just so much easier to pour into containers where you don't see the wax from the sides......you know. Our elec. bills are climbing every month. We live in a house that has no central air/heat (only window units and gas heaters) and my shop has only a window unit with air/heat and those suck up the bucks! With a recession at our horizon, just have to do what I can to cut costs!

On that note, I've decided to stop putting homespun ties on my candles, only because my mom has arthritis now and I have some hand problems myself (we cut the fabric with pinking shears and hang ona coat hanger w/safety pins, then cut those pieces into 3 smaller pcs for my jars ~ way too labor intensive). I'm switching over to grosgrain ribbons on a spool, just reel it out, cut and tie. My mom has been my "ribbon girl" since I started my candle business 7 years ago and she's now 74. Oh, and my guys surely aren't going to be tying ribbons ya know? and I don't want to do it all myself.:(

But, then sometimes I just want to quite and go inside and watch TV and play with my 9 yr old and eat a good, hot home cooked meal, EVERYDAY! LOL:smiley2:

Ok, I'm rambling. So Sorry, but you get my point. There's just so much that goes into the decision making about all this business stuff.

Thanks!

Carrie

I've been contemplating what to cut out...thinking of changing from salsa jars to the square masons, only offer one size, and then I thought of just offering tins. I'm not offering votives anymore either (which is fine, I hate making them). I know I'm not spending money like I used to so I want to offer my candles at a reasonable price where people aren't looking at it as a luxury purchase. Ugh!

I know I won't be spending as much on supplies this year as I did last year! I started looking at what I spent and :shocked2: nearly went into sticker shock! I am still trying to eliminate some more fragrances (I'm still at 65 and would like to keep it at 50) and thinking of eliminating my coffee line altogether. I have a few silicone molds I was going to use for tarts but am debating on selling those off. People just don't have the $$ anymore and I have all these silicone molds sitting around collecting dust! I am going to work on more smaller, affordable items. The bigger items just aren't selling. (electric grubbies, prim garlands, larger candles, etc.) We are about to lose around $15,000 because of our old home not selling (long story) so I need to tighten the belt any way I can! :sad2: So, not throwing in the towel yet but definitely cutting back!

I was trying to sell off what I couldn't master in the 10 months I had it. Pillars were a bomb for me, and a few FO's that either I didn't like personally, or actually gave me headaches to work with.

I've exhausted what I bought to start with in 2 cases of pillar wax and since I couldn't get the wicking down on 1 of them alone, didn't want to spend MORE money on pillar wax just to keep trying something that I already spent so much on.