can lye go bad...

TeriM

Well if lye goes bad it would be LESS active (due to absorbing moisture or reacting with CO2) so I don't think it's your lye. What temps are you soaping at? If the lye solution &/or your oils are too hot then this can make thigns move very fast. Also, double-check your scale (5 quarters weigh 1 oz). And yea, a lot of fragrances will do this too.

it's been soap on a stick before I even add the FO so I know it's not that.... it starts when I'm adding the lye water....

it's crazy - I've been making soap about a year and only had this happen once and it was the volcano thing when I thought about trying HP...

I mix my lye and let it get to room temp... and that's what I do with my oils

maybe it is the scale.... I have no clue !!!

Yup, old lye = less lye, so that wouldn't make soap on a stick.

Are you using a thermometer? Unless you leave the stuff overnight, I think it's pretty near impossible to guage the temperature of the oils and lye solution once they get on the cool side. The difference in reaction speed between 80 and 85 and 90 is significant and those can all seem like room temperature when you feel the pot. Even 95 can feel pretty cool.

Other than that, I think it would have to be the measures.

So I guess I'm totally agreeing with CareBear.

I'll bet your right.. probably the temp....

it was just strange cause I'm not doing anything different...

guess I'll give it another try and watch my temp more closely..

thanks guys... I appreciate all your imput - I was ready to throw in the towel !