Creating a true ivory unity pillar candle

Hello~

I've been struggling for over a week now to come up with a ivory colored unity candle using paraffin wax. I've used IGI 4625, 1343, and 4045 waxes trying liquid ivory(Cajun) and an ivory dye chip (Peaks).

When I use one chip pp, it looks like a dark tan. When I used two drops of liquid in 5#'s of 4625 it looked almost brown. I poured 4625 straight no color and it looks closer to an ivory than adding color but has a green tinge to it.

The customer is a wedding and event planner and desires a true ivory color. I've made up some palm everlasting pillars for her to view, although she has requested paraffin pillars and tapers in white and ivory unscented.

Question 1

What have others used to successfully make an ivory paraffin pillar unity candle (wax type and amount, color type and amount, and any additives)?

Question 2

Has anyone successfully made tapers out of palm wax to go along with the unity candle or does the majority use paraffin tapers with palm pillars? If so do you use a metal mold? Don't make the mistake I did and try and pour in a polyurethane mold :( it was terrible to try and get out.

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm meeting with the customer on Monday evening (tomorrow night) and am feeling a lot of pressure to come up with the ivory pillar today.

Regards,

Ann

I hope this link still works....I made some ivory and black candles for my friends wedding. I used IGI 1242, with vybar and mold release and 1 ivory dye chip per pound, but I got the dye chips off ebay. If this is the colour ivory you want let me know and I will look up who I got them from.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/TwinCandle/

I make my Ivory 3x9" unity sets with 4045H wax, 3 tbs stearic, 1 ounce FO per pound and 1 peaks ivory dye chip to two pounds of wax. Turns out a perfect light ivory. Maybe try using less of the dye chip. With mine, in the pot it doesn't seem like it colored the wax much, but when the pillar is cooled & finished you get a nice Ivory shade.

I hope this link still works....I made some ivory and black candles for my friends wedding. I used IGI 1242, with vybar and mold release and 1 ivory dye chip per pound, but I got the dye chips off ebay. If this is the colour ivory you want let me know and I will look up who I got them from.

sorry for the double response..... my computer was acting up and I didn't think the first response went through :sad2:

Thanks for the response and the pictures. The link worked great. That's the color of Ivory I'm looking for. The dye chips I am using are like a diamond. I have purchased them from Peaks and Rustic Essentuals and they look like the same chip (both diamond shape).

I haven't worked with IGI 1242. Where do you get the IGI 1242 wax from? Can it be used for taper candles also?

Thanks again for your assistance. :)

Ann

I make my Ivory 3x9" unity sets with 4045H wax, 3 tbs stearic, 1 ounce FO per pound and 1 peaks ivory dye chip to two pounds of wax. Turns out a perfect light ivory. Maybe try using less of the dye chip. With mine, in the pot it doesn't seem like it colored the wax much, but when the pillar is cooled & finished you get a nice Ivory shade.

Thanks for the response flutterbye. I did try using the 4045H wax with Stearic but it ended up mottling on me and was darker than what I wanted.. Maybe I didn't add enough stearic. What temperature do you pour to prevent the mottling? I also think I used too much color. I'll try this again cutting back on color.

Currently I've poured another 3X3 test pillar using 4625 with 1 tsp white dye flakes from Genwax adding 1/2 ivory dye chip. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one as I'm about to go crazy :cry2: from not figuring this out today and I'm driving my husband mad from my being so emotional and stressed.

I would try liquid dye, in golden honey. Try about 2 drops per pound in 4625. Golden honey is a nice warm beige/butterscotch, so using it sparingly should give you the colour you want.

Thanks Chris. I don't have Golden honey dye, I'll have to order that and give it a try. Somehow in my mind I thought using Ivory would be the right choice, because it is called Ivory afterall. Go figure.

When using liquid dyes, I find it necessary to get smaller drops to get the final colors I want. Right out of the bottle, the eyedropper makes what I call a large drop. I also use shish-kabob skewers dipped in the dye to get what I call a small drop. Dip it in the dye, let the first drop fall back into the bottle, and the following drops are about half the size of the eyedropper drops. To get smaller drops, use smaller dippers. There is a practical limit to how small you can go--something called physics of liquids takes over, but I get consistant results with my small drops. This might help you get your ivory shade.

Fredron

I am not surprised with color most of the time because I test the color before I pour on a white or reflective surface. The finished result usually appears darker because it is a larger amount than a little dot. For a pale color, regardless of whether I was using chips or liquid, I would start out with just a teensy bit because ivory is a VERY pale color! You can ALWAYS add more colorant, but ya can't take it out once it's in there (you can, however, add more wax to dilute the value). Nealy ALL colorants are concentrated, so it is best to err on the side of not enough... HTH :)