Soy wax from Michaels??

i'm wondering what everyone thinks about michael's microwavable soy wax. i thought microwaving was a big no no! it was 4.99 for 1 lb. i didnt buy it because i know there are tons of great online sources to order from, but i figured i'd ask to see what you guys think of it if you've used it. if its good it would sure save on shipping. thanks!

I used this one time when I was starting out. I then went online and found I could buy 10lb bags much cheaper and then 50 lbs and even with shipping it is a whole lot less per pound.

I can't remember how much my total cost was last time I bought 50 lbs from KY Candle Wax Supply. But it is a whole lot cheaper than what I would spend buying it from Michael's at $5.00 a pound.

I just looked at KY Candle Wax Supply and they sell a 25lb bag for $28.75. I don't know what the shipping would be. But even at that it is a $1.15/pound. They also sell 10lb and 50 lb increments.

There are so many soy suppliers all over the country you might want to see if it would be cheaper finding one that is close to you and seeing how much your total cost would be. Also you can have a better selection of wicks and Fragrance Oils than is offered at Michael's and much much better quality too. Than you can save even more money by having it all shipped together and have a higher quality candle.

I also bought a presto pot (can find those at WalMart) to melt my wax. I am not comfortable melting wax in my microwave.

Chris :smiley2:

I think the microwaving suggestion is just a marketing strategy on Yaley's part. If you microwave in 30sec spirts is should be okay. As long as you use a glass Pyrex cup or what ever. But what scares me, is that some people are not as smart as others, and I am sure there have been a lot of accidents when using this method. :(

To me, their wax looks just like Cargill Naturewax, so I bet it’s not really Yaley’s own brand, but a quality manufacturer’s brand.

I have gone through three Micro Waves in the 4 years I have been making soy candles. I melt in Presto and Micro to reheat, remelt, clean containers of wax and melt my embed wax. My Micro is going all day long, I have melted every veggy wax I tried in it. Do what you want but to me it is just part of my equipment. I also use plastic pour and mixing pitchers that can go in the Micro.

Hi. How can microwaving hurt as long as you use microwaveable containers and check temperature so that the total only goes up to your desired amount? I use my presto pot for larger amounts, but have used the microwave when doing just one candle, seems it is just easier. Heat to 175 or so and go from there. What can happen that won't happen in the presto? I also use it to melt the left over wax after pouring and then clean my containers. Just wondering for future reference. Beth

Things like that happen all the time, electric, fire, I use my Micro to make HP soap. Ready in 30 minutes, love it, so fast. Don't ask how many times a pitcher of wax went flying all over the counter and floor, handle got cought in my apron pocket. I said a few select words after each and every tiime. Well off to bed got a bunch of tarts to pour this weekend and the kids are coming over to wrap. Gotta keep them busy....