Converting recipes to percentages from oz.

Fire and Ice

I was looking through the recipe section yesterday and saw several good recipes that I would like to try later howerver the posters got them out of books and posted them in ounces and not percentages so they can be easily run through a soap calculator. They also didn't list the size of the one they were posting.

Here is one of them:

Basil and Sun dried tomato soap:

14oz water

5.8 oz lye

18oz coconut oil

12oz olive oil

6oz palm oil

4oz jojoba oil

1oz per lb SW Tuscan Tomato & Basil

1oz Sun dried tomatos finely chopped

1oz Basil leaves finely chopped

The direction are basic and straight forward but I have no idea how big this batch of soap is not %s so I can try and convert back to run it through the soap calculator. I also plan to sub out at least the jojoba oil and cut back on the coconut and add castor and babassu oil or PKO flakes or sweet almond oil.

Any advice would help,

Fire

Another of my "cheating" methods is to go to SaopCalc and hit the WP (weight/percentages) tab found on top of the bar.

Here is the link -

http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp

You will see on the right side that you can enter in you calculations in either percentages or weights - just click the button that you want and fill in your numbers (i.e. 18 oz coconut, etc.). Once you have your recipe in hit "Compute." Now you can see the recipe in both weight and percentages. Up on top of the page you wil see "Total Oil Weight." Underneath that you will see Pounds, Ounces, Grams. Hit whichever one you will be working with. Let's say you want to make a 40 oz batch then click ounces and put 40 in the box provided for your weight. Hit compute again. Now your numbers will correspond to the size of batch you are making.

HTH

TAS

Thank you all for your help and advice. Thanks for letting me know I can find a shortcut for doing my own math at the soap calculator. That's certainly very good to know. Still, because I am a newbie, to have to learn it for myself the way Barbara showed IS probably best for right now!

This soap look interesting but I plan to reformulate it because the Coconut oil is so very high and because I don't have Jojoba oil.

But I will play with it later, maybe in a month, after I have a dozen or so simple recipes inder my belt. I do, at some point want to try adding some Lard to a soap. I bought a pound of it at WalMart. I've read that it bring wonderful things to a soap. In fact, last night I read Crafty1's thread on going very high in lard in a recipe, on the Dish, and the results. Not that I'm going 75% as she did but these types of thread are where I learn!:yes:

Fire

Hey, my fave lard soap is:

35-40% lard

15% Coconut

I then fill in the rest with different oils based on what I want. (Palm kernel & castor for some extra bubble-age, Olive oil/shea/cocoa butter for moisturizing, etc) I have changed up the different "filler" oils but always keep the coconut percentage and lard percentage about the same. HTH you some! :highfive:

p.s. I just noticed you are a fellow Ohioan! Whereabouts?

Hey, my fave lard soap is:

35-40% lard

15% Coconut

I then fill in the rest with different oils based on what I want. (Palm kernel & castor for some extra bubble-age, Olive oil/shea/cocoa butter for moisturizing, etc) I have changed up the different "filler" oils but always keep the coconut percentage and lard percentage about the same. HTH you some! :highfive:

p.s. I just noticed you are a fellow Ohioan! Whereabouts?

I will save you recipe! Thank you so much for offering it!

I live 25 miles south of Canton Ohio, near Atwood Lake, outside of Somerdale, Ohio. I spend most of my time in Dover and New Philadephia and that's where I do most of my shows although the biggest show I do is about three miles from me at the Atwood Lake Park and Marinia.

Fire