I did something wrong, but what?

Hi, new here, but I have a question. Last night I made some votives, I put the wicks into the metal mold with sealer so that they stuck to the bottom before I poured. They turned out ok. Then I read on here to let the wax cool a little then put the wick in, so I tried that and when I repoured the wax covered my wick.

Why did that happen?

Can I get the wicks to come out the right way now?

Thanks

Heather

Howdy, and welcome to the board :)

As a general rule, you don't attach the wick tab to the mold. The sealer is for sealing the wick hole in pillar molds. Letting the wax cool some before putting the wick in can help hold the tab in place, but it doesn't work as well unless you're using a stiff wick, like a zinc core that will stand up by itself.

When you say the repour covered the wick, do you mean the wick was too short or that it leaned over? You can use a number of things to hold the top of the wick in place, like a popsickle stick and clothespin. I use two wooden skewers rubberbanded together when I need to hold the wick up. Granted you can't pull it tight or you'll pull the wick out. Also depending on which wax you're using, as it shrinks it may pull the wick over too.

If you're planning on making a lot of votives, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches by using wick pins :)

I agree with everyone else. GET some wick pins for votives. You can get them from Peaks etc... where ever you get your molds(usually). You won't go back to the way you are doing the wicks now. And yes, by all means remelt those babies in a low( about 150 degree) oven and reuse that wax. Waste not want not!!!!:grin2:

Thanks guys! I remelted and poured them, these are for my little ones so they don't have to be perfect, they can't burn them lol. When you use the wick pins, do the wicks fall back out? I have had some candles before where the wick slides right out of the bottom.