Color charts?

I happen to know the answer to this question, GOOGLE

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

candlemaker74,

If you want to make candles you really need to just do it. Research the companies in your area and get different samples of different waxes. Play around and see what you like. Then play around with different wicks, see what you like. (FO's are never ending you will always be testing them) Then if you say you use XYZ for your coloring and you want more of a hunter green we can help. But, you need to actually pour a candle 1st. Yes my house if filled with tons of different test candles even after all these years, but I make candles because I love candles not because I'm going to retire in a few years a millionaire.

Karen B

I happen to know the answer to this question, GOOGLE

If this is the case, why have a discussion board at all... the answer to this question, google, could be said of 90% of the posts on here...

I thought the purpose of this board was to help each other...

I am obviously new to all of this...

If this is the case, why have a discussion board at all... the answer to this question, google, could be said of 90% of the posts on here...

I thought the purpose of this board was to help each other...

I am obviously new to all of this...

We are here to help each other. On the other hand, nobody can hold you hand every step of the way. Some things are specific to candles, some are general knowledge. A color wheel is general art knowledge not specific to candles.

Having said that, I'm guessing you're looking for exactly which dyes and chips to mix to get different colors? The is no chart to cover this. Some manufacturers post charts on their own site to mix their colors. The problem is that each dyes formula and shade is going to vary. So mixing them yourself is the only way you're going to find the exact color you want. As mentioned, the color on your monitor wont be the same as the color in wax.

If you're looking for basic color information, like yellow and blue to make green, google color wheel. ;)

BTW: Red, Blue and Yellow are the basic primary colors. Buy one of each (I prefer liquid myself) and start mixing from there. Maybe try making a couple candles in primary colors first so you can see how the wax colors.

Well, when I first started making candles I was using a few Cajun Candles FO's and dyes (only dyes I've ever used actually). They have a color chart on their site and that's what I used. Since then, and after dying thousands and thousands of candles, I now create my own colors using their dyes. But their color chart is a good starting point. I just love their dyes too!

Give it a try. Their colors come out just brilliant and all my customers just love how my candle colors are....

And, yes, we are here to help.:highfive:

Carrie

Emailed you. :) Actually, there ARE quite a few very GOOD sites out there that have exactly what you're looking for. :)

Mt Annie

Satin Ducky writes: >> I'm guessing you're looking for exactly which dyes and chips to mix to get different colors? The is no chart to cover this.

You mean there are general sites out there that tell you what to mix for every manufacturers different colors and types of dyes???

If you know some please share with everyone! I'm sure many of us would be tickled with this! :yay:

• 3 weeks later...
You mean there are general sites out there that tell you what to mix for every manufacturers different colors and types of dyes???

If you know some please share with everyone! I'm sure many of us would be tickled with this! :yay:

==========================================

No...but that wasn't what she was asking for. :)

This is what she was asking for..... >>>

>>>>I was wondering if there was a website that helped mix the colors available for candle making to show us what colors to mix to obtain the color we want?

If you know some please share with everyone! I'm sure many of us would be tickled with this!

Do a google, no one is here to hold your hand...

:laugh2:

Personally I have many saved files on my computer about mixing colors, complimenty colors, three different color wheels and a list of which colors to combine with my dye to make the colors I want. I HAVE googled and have everything I need for now. I didn't NEED anyone to hold my hand. I'm a big girl and found most without very much help :P

That was for all the people here who ask about mixing different colors. Not to mention I read everything I see that might interest me or might be helpful in the future ;)

FYI: This is how I find what colors I want. It's the starting line up from the primary colors. I started with red, blue and yellow dyes in the beginning. For many colors, buying it premixed is much easier :)

post-27-139458441989_thumb.jpg

Do a google, no one is here to hold your hand...

:laugh2:

Let me see if I can explain this to you. Every supplier has a different tone of red, some may be more of a magenta, others a little more orange red. You can take the fact that burgundy is made from red, green and blue. (I believe that was the colors on photo shop) But if you have a darker green you may need to hold back on the blue. Some people here mix red with brown, while others mix red with black and they all get a nice shade of burgundy.

My colors come from different suppliers, it has taken me time and experience to figure out how to mix my burgundy just right. I suggest you buy a color wheel to give you an idea and take it from there.

That is what SatinDucky is trying to say. Many of us have "googled" for this info and no one out there has spent the kind of time and money it would take to mix every different manufacturers dyes and tell you exactly what you need for colors. If they did they wouldn't give it away for free.

Next time you may want to think twice before mouthing off to a more experienced chandler.

Karen B

Edited because I had cmyk in my head and typed cyan instead of magenta.

LOL, I said what I said because that is the response she always leaves for me!

:P

Excuse me... but maybe you should go back and look at all of your previous threads to refresh your memory. That is NOT the response I always post. Though I do usually say to do at least some testing and researching for yourself ;)

Once again....she was only asking for a general guide...NOT every single color that could possibly be combined from each and every supplier. Why does everyone keep thinking that? :confused:

How you can get that from her original question is beyond me.

She just wanted a general reference guide...NOT a million combinations as suggested from the replies.

:)

Her original question (once again) was: >>>

I was wondering if there was a website that helped mix the colors available for candle making to show us what colors to mix to obtain the color we want?

Color theory is an extensive science to understand. The simplest way to do what you need to do, would be to buy a color wheel or buy a box of crayons. All you need is a box of Crayola primary colors. Rub them over each other until you get the desired results. Only use one swipe each time and increase in increments with additional swipes, until you reach the desired colors. Those would be your "parts".

The only thing I've ever found online, with massive hours of searching Google, is color pickers and blenders for web design. Hours and hours and hours of searching, and nothing. Very frustrating. A never ending battle when I want to create a color I don't know how to. If I'm not sure how to make a certain shade and have tried to with bad results, I know I can come here and ask what I might be doing wrong, and people will help me the best they can.

What I've been doing personally, is just playing with my candle dyes in wax. I've done quite a few testers now, that the color wasn't right. It takes a while to test colors out. There's not going to be an easy answer for this one, other than test your dyes. Use a white paper plate and drop some drops of dye on it and rub it around. See what you get. You will waste some dye, but this is what needs to be done to get colors you want. There is no easy way to do it. If there is, I haven't found it yet. :(