After 20+ years! My First Candle!

Soja

After reading for weeks & weeks, getting tips from the kind members here, I finally ordered some supplies and, Presto!:undecided (Yes, pun intended!)

Unfortunately I do not know anything about the wax chunks since I melted down this big candle Linda had stored away forever since she didn't like it.

I poured at 190 (IGI 1218, no additives) and held the heat gun to the mold till I saw bubbles. (another tip from the forum) This made the sides very shiny and smooth. You can see I missed some at the bottom cause the mold was sitting on paper at the time and I didn't want to burn the house down!

I'm really liking the white effects around the chunks. Can anyone tell me what happened?

Soja

post-1543-139458383566_thumb.jpg

Cool looking candle. Especially for a first. Even if you pour at 190 by the time the wax reaches the bottom of the mold it is cold enough to make a rustic.....heat mold first....pour at 200.....heat gun again....also certain additives help to keep it from being rustic....like gloss poly C 15....ust 1/2 tsp pp can make a huge difference. We used to teach classes and had people pour at 160 so they could take their candles home on that day. I was using 4045 EP and gloss poly.......never had a rustic out of that. Hope this helps, Donita

... and held the heat gun to the mold till I saw bubbles. Soja

Hi, tell me about the bubbles please, I haven't read that one, and can't make a shiny chunkie to save my life.

BTW I love your candle - stunning colour. Congratulations on your first born. LOL :D

Hi, tell me about the bubbles please. I haven't read that one, and can't make a shiny chunkie to save my life.

Use a heatgun on the outside of the mold after pouring the overpour wax. Start at the bottom and swing the heatgun side to side as you slowly work your way to the top. When you get to the top you should see tiny bubbles surfacing, indicating that you sufficiently melted the wax to release the air pockets around the chunks. When that melted wax cools, it will leave you with a smooth shiny surface. (Be sure to repeat the procedure on all sides of your mold.)

I love those colors!!!!

Great job with it!! Chunks are fairly easy to master, a fabulous first try after so long being away!

I usually just heat the mold up for a while, get it nice and hot before I plop the chunks and the overpour in. It'll take care of the rustic look at the bottom. I think someone said it already, but that's usually caused by the cooling down of the wax as it's poured over the chunks and into the mold. If you heat it up really good, you should be able to get rid of the rustic look.

Overall, the candle looks great, I love the deep rich colors in chunks.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: