Whipped Shea Weight

MochaMama

Yes, I am trying to drive myself nutso, but I realize that in this business, you learn something new everyday.

I was making some whipped shea, whipped it up light and creamy, it's almost pure white. Anyhoo, the weight (not including jar) is 2.5 oz. Now, this is in a 4 oz jar.

This is what I figure - gotta label it 2.5 oz, cuz that's the weight.

However, on my webbie, I can say a "4 oz jar"? or is that too misleading. I am just afraid folks might think they're getting cheated, but the 2.5 oz fills up a 4 oz jar to the top.

I just want to to the right thing now that I'm getting better at this. Do people read labels that closely? Aren't they looking more at the size (4.0 oz jar) of what they're getting rather than the actual weight?

By law, if you are selling, you must list the weight of the product not the size of the container. Check out the cosmetic labeling info on the FDA website. It will answer all of your labeling questions. I'll see if I can find my link and come back to post it.

If you're using the jar size, you have to say "4 fl oz" instead of 4 oz jar. I've seen others labelling by volume before, e.g.

http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/skin-care-dry-skin-rou23408.html

According to the FDA, since my product is solid/semi-solid the contents needs to be expressed in terms of weight, not volume. (maybe this particular forumulation is liquid at certain temp?)

I've looked at a couple of webbies, and for the most part the jar is labeled "1 oz in a 2 oz jar".

I'm just going to make it simple for myself and put on the website "1 oz" or "2 oz" and skip the whole "in a jar" confusion.

Thanks for all for the suggestions and guidance.:grin2:

I understand where you're coming from, you don't want people to be discouraged by the small amount.

Like everyone else stated, yes, you have to list it as net weight, but in your description you could state that only the tiniest amount is needed for any one application. Whipped shea is basically concentrated (depending on how much oils/other ingredients you use), and therfore only requires a tiny amount be used.

Also, have you let this set up for a while? I know that mine seems to "solidify" or deflate(for lack of better words) a bit after it sets up completely.

I've actually stopped whipping mine so much b/c of this reason. Same thing with my emulsified sugar scrub (which has a lot of shea butter).

After a week or so, I could actually add more to my jars b/c of the deflation.

Plus, once they try it they'll realize how little they need to use and that the 2.5oz lasts quite a while. ;)

Michi:

That's exactly what I meant:grin2: . Seems that 10.00 is a lot to pay for 2.5 oz of shea. But, once people understand how little is needed and I'm waiting to see if mine deflate also, then I'll pack more into the jar.

Otherwise, I'll do the proper labeling and try not to worry - if they buy, they buy, if not, hey! At my open house, they'll see how much they're getting anyway.

I just need to relax about the whole thing.:tiptoe:

Thanks!