Gourd containers...

Hi all ~ I'm very new to the whole candlemaking world. I have been working with gourds for a while and am wondering if anyone has utilized hard shell gourds as containers for candles. If so, how did it work and does anyone have any suggestions as to wax/wick/etc? Probably a bit foolish to attempt this right off the get-go, but I'm an adventurer!

Martha Stewart has :) Believe me, it is much easier to make candles out of them than to carve them as jackolanterns (those things are tough-skinned)!

Here's a link: http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1384&contentGroup=MSL&site=living She did these on her show and they did make a really great presentation. Very organic looking.

PS: Curious, what do you do with them?

HTH!

I buy them online already dried from California Gourds. I've tried growing jumbo gourds here but our growing season is short and my dog likes to eat the baby plants...*sigh* It's kinda pricey but worth it because they are really high quality and guaranteed. It's a fun hobby but I'm looking to expand into other arenas.

I have been working with gourds for a while and am wondering if anyone has utilized hard shell gourds as containers for candles.

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

As in container candles... do you mean pouring the wax into it and leaving it? Burning the candle inside the gourd? If so, I would highly NOT recommend it. I may be way off base here, but it seems like the gourd would be flammable. There's been a lot of discussions lately on flammable shells candles and recalls of some because of the fire hazard. Some examples are coconut shells and tree bark. I would think a gourd would fall into this category :eek: I'm sure some one will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Now having said that... if you're talking about using them for molds like Martha, that would be interesting. Though with gourds being harder, not sure how you would get it out. I guess that depends on how hard they are fresh and I have no idea there...lol. If you try it, post a pic :)

Actually, I was thinking of using them as the container. They are very large, which is why I thought it may be okay. I do pyrography on them and yes, they are flammable (though I have not yet caught one nor myself on fire :eek:). Perhaps it is not such as good idea ~

I have put small container candles in them in the past and it works great, but I think they are too hard and too thick to use as a mold. Probably squash or unripened gourds would work better.

I reckon it would depend on whether you want to make them for your own use or to sell. If you want to use them yourself and could guarantee that it would never be left unattended, never be near a draft that could blow the flame towards the shell, would never get knocked over ... well you get the idea. :(

Yes they could be a fire hazzard. You could pour a hurricane wax in them let set-up awhile to form a wax shell. Then use a lower melt point container wax to fill the shell. Just make sure you test a complete burn to the bottom to see if you have any problems.