Sink or no sink?

OK so I'm trying to light a fire under DH to help me set up a section of our basement as a candle workshop. Not happening! Anyway, it's a woodshop that the prior owner set up so it's got good lighting, work surfaces and a nice climate. There are water hook-ups and a drain, but no sink. If I could do plumbing I'd just do it myself, but I'd probably wind up flooding the basement!! I can do everything else though in terms of setting it up.

I normally use a sink regularly in candlemaking because I do it in the kitchen. But, if I didn't have one I think I may be able to deal since I melt in Presto pots rather than a double boiler. Plus we get paper towels basically FREE (trade for candles :P ).

Anyway, worth waiting for dh to install a sink or should I just bite the bullet and move down there? I HATE cleaning up the kitchen like a gazillion times to switch between food/candles/food/candles!

For those who have a dedicated space - does it have a sink?

My "candle room" is in the basement and I don't have a sink. I use the presto pots and the pyrex cups for pouring so I just use paper towels and wipe out. I'll haul my pyrex cups upstairs to the dishwasher once a week and so far I'm not missing having a sink at all.

I say bite the bullet! I was working out of our kitchen and can honestly say that having my own space is soooo much easier and less time consuming because I'm not constantly putting things away and clearing room to cook.

My room is out in the detached garage and I don't have a sink. I Just bring in my pyrex cups once in a while to wash them like flightoffancy said. I use a lot of paper towels, but if you are getting them free (sorta) then there you go. I think it would work fine. I wouldn't let no sink stop me, And if you find later that you really need one then deal with it then.

I think I'll move down there this weekend then. I guess we can always add the sink later (which is actually sitting in the garage waiting patiently for him to give it a home!).

DH is still just bitter because the other part of the basement was supposed to be his guy haven but after watching him procrastinate for 5 years, I finished it myself and made it into a kids' room. They just love watching cartoons on his built-in big screen TV :laugh2:

A stove is not necessary if you have wax melters. I do, however, I bought a two burner hot plate type of thing when I started. I use it with a double boiler system occasionally. I also don't have a sink, I don't think it's necessary, but I can see the use for one once in awhile. I'd move now. That way you can get started, organized, etc. and if you get DH to put your sink in later when you are sure you need it, then great. I'm too impatient to wait for pesky other people. LOL

Guest Candelishis

I started out in the kitchen, then after taking over the whole room, got moved to the basement. At first, I didn't have a sink either. I made do. I use presto pots and just wiped out my pour pots and pyrex, and also hauled them upstairs once a week or so to wash them. It was just fine for a while. DH is a contractor, and they remodeled a hotel last year, and one of the suites had a perfectly good double kitchen sink with a counter and all in it that they were going to trash, and he called me and asked if I had a use for it. So now I have a lovely counter top, double sink, and even space to put a trash can under the sink in the cabinet. It's much more convenient. But if I had to, I could make do without it. You just get used to what you have.

A sink isn't mandatory, as others have said, you can make do.

Since you already have water (and drain?) hookups, it isn't very difficult to install a sink, even for a first-timer as so much is made in universal kits these days (with adapters for common installations). If you can follow instructions in a recipe book, minor plumbing chores shouldn't faze you.

I have the Time-Life series of home improvement books which have guided me through years of projects I didn't think I could handle and nothing has fallen down or exploded (yet). Usually my humble repairs and remodeling projects come out looking as professional as the pros, but it takes at least 4 times longer to accomplish. For a sink, I would read up and purchase the items needed, dry-fit everything, go back to the store to get stuff I didn't know I was gonna need, adapters, etc., then dry fit it all again. Then get up EARLY in the AM and put it all together for real. Should have running water by suppertime. :grin2: If you are not a natural moron like I am (I pretty much do things wrong first...), you could do it in half that time. :laugh2:

PS Those nice free-standing deep laundry sinks (no cabinet required) would make you the envy of home chandlers everywhere... at least this one! :D

If you live in the country though, like I do, and have a septic, it's a bit more complicated cause you have to have a pump attached to get the water up and out to the septic tank. If you live in the city, it MUCH easier!! :cool2:

Oooh, food for thought and thanks everyone! We do have a drain. Our house had septic at one time but also has sewer thanks to development. I'll just have to make sure the basement drain goes to the sewer and not the septic tank.

Stella - we have those Time Life books too. I'll have to dig them out. I know I saw one on plumbing!

Guest Candelishis
PS Those nice free-standing deep laundry sinks (no cabinet required) would make you the envy of home chandlers everywhere... at least this one! :D

Those big deep sinks are awesome....I wanted one, but DH had to go and find that freebie sink...:laugh2: You can get a whole kit for one at Lowe's for around 80 bucks too! Cheapo.

Have fun setting up your old room. I just made our old kitchen into a workshop. I would be dead if I got wax or dye near my new kitchen. I had to take 2 pour pots over to the stove yesterday to melt my dyes and was scared I was gonna spill! I need to look at getting a burner or something to set up in my workshop if need be!

Good luck. If you have a sink, then definitely try and set it up, but you have to be careful the wax doesn't clog your drains. I use a dishwashing pan and then dump it outside.

HTH,

Steph

You can get a whole kit for one at Lowe's for around 80 bucks too! Cheapo.

That's what I was thinking of and they are almost as easy to plumb as hooking up a washing machine. ;)

Grama, I SHOULD be washing something all the time when making candles, but usually the kitchen is backed up with other stuff and I have no room to drag in a buncha glassware, etc. to clean there - so it sits around.

Yep - maybe a nice deep laundry sink is worth more than I thought at first... maybe I NEEEEED one in the worst way!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: