If I was to try soap....

TwinMom

Would this be a good kit to try out? It is from Voyageur Soap and Candle and this is what the kit contains. I have always said soaping looks too hard and I would never do it (i am more into my candles) but now after seeing all the AWESOME pics of some of the soap people have made my friend and I want to try it. I am just scared of using Lye (yes I am a baby...lol). And what can I use for a mold to pour it into??? Thanks from a Newbie to the Experts!!!!:cheesy2:

Can't decide which soap you want to make? Try our Soap Sampler Kit #1. It includes all of the necessary ingredients to make our Beeswax, Cocoa Butter and Castille soaps, for a total of 4 lbs of soap. So if you want to try a few different soaps but don't want to purchase a full kit for each, this Sampler Kit is for you. Each soap kit comes with all of the necessary premeasured ingredients and detailed instructions needed to make 4 lbs. of premium quality handmade soap. Please click on the individual soap kits for information about each of these three specialty soaps.Makes 4 lbs of Soap

I just went to the Voyageur website and looked at their soap kits. I wanted to see if they were M&P soap kits or real CP (soap made with lye) soap kits. They are real CP soap kits, so you will definitely be using lye (sodium hydroxide). They seem to look fine to me, though.

As a soaper who loves to formulate and experiment, the thing that would irk me with using a premeasured kit is that I don't know what the superfat level is and all that, but for a soaping newbie like yourself, if you don't have a scale and all that, this just may be the thing you are looking for to start out with, you know? It looks like a nice way to get your feet wet and see what it's like to work with lye without having to invest too much money in buying a bunch of oils, a good scale, etc..

For a mold, if you have any Rubbermade containers, those work great. Just smear them with mineral oil before pouring. Just don't use anything metal, especialy aluminum. Anything plastic is fine, or even those silicone baking containers. Some people use drawer organizers lined with freezer paper, too. HTH!:)

MarieJeanette

Of two minds on it - well several really:

1. kits are easy (directions, tried and true recipe, ingredients & mold all there for you)

2. with great recipes (hopefully great) you get to know what the soap is SUPPOSED to be like - so you know what you are aiming for

BUT

3. you can get most ingredients more cheaply (there are recipes for "grocery store soap" around, or we can help you) & newbies can use almost anything for a mold (you will soon find yourself cruising the aisles of Target thinking "oh I could use THAT for a mold.... And THAT might work..."

4. 1# batches are pretty darned small - if you need to measure anything there isn't much room for error, plus it's harder to ensure gel in a smaller batch. I don't like small batches at all.

All in all I"d say it's a draw.

Thanks everyone! I will look at the tutorials. I know with kits it is basically to get your feet wet, but I would like to try from a recipe but I am terrified of using Lye, someone told me (true or not??) that if you add it wrong it can blow up in your face-literally! Ummm so yeah little terrified. LOL LOL

Jenn it is like anything else we do. You have to do your research up front on how to handle things like the lye. I started by reading, then reading again the CP tutorial under Bath and Body. That covers the safety issues pretty thoroughly. Then I participated in E's class. Have to say I was pretty proud of my 1st batch of CP soap. E's recipe was pretty idiot proof and I was able to find all the supplies locally.

Today I participated in AJ's Oven Hot Process Method. Hope the soap turns out as good as my 1st batch of CP. I did go out and buy the goggles. For safety sake I measure my water into a pitcher. Then measure out the lye into a separate container. Then I take them outside to mix. I feel safer combing the 2 outside. Basic rule I got from the tutorial is add lye to the water not the other way around and use a plastic pitcher.

For E's class I used a shoe box for the mold. Today I used a plastic box. Got to say it has been fun. Now to find some willing guinea pigs to help test my soaps. LOL

Jenn it is like anything else we do. You have to do your research up front on how to handle things like the lye. I started by reading, then reading again the CP tutorial under Bath and Body. That covers the safety issues pretty thoroughly. Then I participated in E's class. Have to say I was pretty proud of my 1st batch of CP soap. E's recipe was pretty idiot proof and I was able to find all the supplies locally.

Today I participated in AJ's Oven Hot Process Method. Hope the soap turns out as good as my 1st batch of CP. I did go out and buy the goggles. For safety sake I measure my water into a pitcher. Then measure out the lye into a separate container. Then I take them outside to mix. I feel safer combing the 2 outside. Basic rule I got from the tutorial is add lye to the water not the other way around and use a plastic pitcher.

For E's class I used a shoe box for the mold. Today I used a plastic box. Got to say it has been fun. Now to find some willing guinea pigs to help test my soaps. LOL

That is probably something I will do. I am going to check out the tutorials and do some research before I dive in. THANKS EVERYONE for all your help, advice and links. You guys are awesome!!!!:yay: :yay: :yay:

Thanks everyone! I will look at the tutorials. I know with kits it is basically to get your feet wet, but I would like to try from a recipe but I am terrified of using Lye, someone told me (true or not??) that if you add it wrong it can blow up in your face-literally! Ummm so yeah little terrified. LOL LOL

E's tutorial is exceptional and guides you through without fear.

Take a look at the CP soap kit from Bitter Creek north as well because their kit includes a mold as well.

if you decide to make soap, you MUST remember to use a lye calculator so that you know that you do not create a lye heavy bar.

When mixing the lye, take it out on you porch or deck to mix it and allow all fumes to clear before bringing back in (about 5 minutes.) Also, keep this pitcher very well labeled and in a safe place away from where toddlers could reach up and bring the pitcher down on themselves!:sad2:

Both lye water and raw soap can burn so wear safty glasses and good rubber gloves.

E's tutorial is great and you don't need a fancy mold to do it!

Fire

Take a look at the CP soap kit from Bitter Creek north as well because their kit includes a mold as well.

if you decide to make soap, you MUST remember to use a lye calculator so that you know that you do not create a lye heavy bar.

When mixing the lye, take it out on you porch or deck to mix it and allow all fumes to clear before bringing back in (about 5 minutes.) Also, keep this pitcher very well labeled and in a safe place away from where toddlers could reach up and bring the pitcher down on themselves!:sad2:

Both lye water and raw soap can burn so wear safty glasses and good rubber gloves.

E's tutorial is great and you don't need a fancy mold to do it!

Fire

Thanks for the info. I am checking out that site next! I will be printing off the tutorials. One question though, how do you clean the pitcher that holds the lye???

Thanks for the info. I am checking out that site next! I will be printing off the tutorials. One question though, how do you clean the pitcher that holds the lye???

Buy one from the dollar store and write "LYE" and "POISON" on it in Sharpie.

Just wash with dish detergent and save for more soaping!

e

You mean in case the concentrated lye solution didn't get it clean enough? ;)

LOL LOL duh, I didnt even think of that! But I was more worried about taking the container I use for lye and washing it with something that will blow up in my face..

Jenn I just rinse mine well with water and then stick it in the dishwasher. Barring that I use regular dish soap. No problem with either as long as you rinse it out.

Word to the wise, don't put your fresh soaping stuff in the dishwasher with aluminum pans. And if your soap pots have aged overnight please rinse them well before sticking in the dishwasher.

LOL LOL duh, I didnt even think of that! But I was more worried about taking the container I use for lye and washing it with something that will blow up in my face..

I was just goofing with E, but actually it's true. Lye cleans things pretty nicely and I don't think anything will remove the lye better than water. It rinses out easily in the sink and dishwashing liquid probably just adds unnecessary residue. No harm in additionally throwing it in the dishwasher as CareBear suggests, if you want to.

It's not really as big a deal as it might seem. Normally I keep kitchen and craft equipment separate, but if I ever closed up my workshop I wouldn't worry about putting a lye mixing pot back into kitchen use. I don't think there would be any residue to speak of and it wouldn't matter if there was some minuscule amount anyway.

Lye is even used in food preparation. It gets dangerous as the concentration increases because it makes a very strong alkaline solution that can burn you.