Preservative help?

Pam W

I've never made anything that requires a preservative - I've searched and read a lot but not finding what I need. I purchased a nice lotion base that allows for 2% additives. Well being the obcessive/compulsive twit that I am, I added 50% of my body butter(just butters & oils) to the lotion base and the texture is to die for. Even though I know nada about preservatives, I have no doubt I've created something that might be overtaken by nasties. The butter has no preservative but to make more of this mixture, I'm thinking I should add something for safety's sake but can't figure out which preservative I should use.

I made just a 2oz bottle for personal use but a couple friends have sampled it and are asking for some but I won't give it out till I know it's safe.

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Check with the company where you purchased the base from..Most places can answer questions better because it is their product.

Depending on what you are adding you may need to preserve it.

My best advise for a quick and accurate answer is to call your lotion supplier , to be safe.

:cheesy2:

Thanks for the info. I did email the supplier but haven't heard back from them yet...they probably think I'm a nut...and I may be but at least I'm a nut with smooth, silky skin. And now that I have a bottle of monoi, I'm a gooood smelling nut:cheesy2: