What causes this

Are you using a two pour container wax? What kind of wax is it?

I've never ever had this problem with the wax that I use (one pour) in my jars, but I HAVE had similiar air pockets in containers that I've done with astorlite Q, you have to be super duper careful with that wax, it's notorious for tunnels and canyons (air pockets) underneath the surface. :eek:

Id definitely say there was a massive air pocket in there for whatever reason, if it was just tunneling I'd think you'd still be able to see the wick, and using a small wick (such as a 44-24-18z) would not make it do that IMO, it would probably just fizzle out with a really small mp.

Should I poke relief holes along side the wick when the wax in hardening?
Look...your wick was swallowed without a trace by a cavernous hole. If it happens more than once, get an exorcist over. Otherwise just make sure your pouring temp is right. You don't normally poke holes with a one-pour wax.

Did you secure your wick?? I would try heating my jars.. You could be doing all the above.. what I do sometimes when they are cooling I will wiggle my wick in a circle just to make sure there is no air.. but be careful you do not tug.. I have actually pulled out my wick.. That stunk...lol:D

Thanks for all the serious replies. We come to this board to learn, we are not all experts like "topofmurrayhill" so no need to make fun. I really didnt think of it as a joke when I posted. Never happend to me before.

J223

1.) I do preheat my Jars

2.) I do pour between 145 - 155 degrees

3.) I do secure my wicks with High Temp Glue

I usually do get a small hole at the top of my pint mason jars, I reheat with a heat gun and the wax melts down and fills the air pocket. I guess I must not have gotten this one. Just was wondering if I was doing something wrong or this was just some type of flook.

We need to have a little fun once in a while. :yes: No harm meant. I've screwed up a lot of things while making candles but never anything like this. Are you sure someone in your family didn't sneak in and steal your wick? I;m not an expert by any means. Have gone thru several cases of J223 and never had a sinking problem like that.

You people are so naive. Air pocket my *ss. That wick was kidnapped by extraterrestrials. Shows all the signs.

*is now choking and snorting iced tea in the nose*..........ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I've come to another conclusion, iced tea hurts just as much as Pepsi.

I haven't used that wax myself, but I DO know that regardless, I'm always poking relief holes in everything I pour, including my votives. I've tried it both ways, not poking the holes and poking. I feel more secure poking them.

It might be something to consider. Try it out and see. If there ARE caverns like that under the surface, you can fill them quickly with more wax and have a more stable candle and ease your mind.

You said that you secured your wick with the high temp glue, but did you secure the TOP of the wick with a wick bar or clothespin or something along those lines? I use a wax blend that I need to use a second pour, and when I don't secure the top of my wick secure enough, sometimes it becomes pulled off to the sides. Just a thought.

I dont believe in Aliens anyway, extraterrestrials yeah now maybe that is a possibility but not Aliens they dont exist.

HEY - That's not true, my green card said I was an Alien.... I even had an Alien Registration Number!!!!! 3053506i.gif LOL

Used to freak the neighborhood kids out by telling them we were aliens. When they asked us to prove it, we would haul out the green card and show them. It says very clearly on the top RESIDENT ALIEN. 3053126i.gif Would love to have heard the playground conversation...........