Iron on applique

Vicky_CO

Hi Guys my son is really enjoying making stuff using iron stuff he like the embroidered looking ones. He has been making purses, wallets and bags he is hoping to set up a small table at our little farmers market. Okay I an going to have to talk hard so they will let him be there.

Does any one have a good source for them? I would really like to get him more than the ones at walmart.

No answer to your question, just wanted to say how great I think it is for him to be looking ahead at selling. We all should encourage kids to make things with their hands and imagination. I can't see why they wouldn't want him selling at the farmer's market. Good for him. Hope it works out. Beth

I wish the selection was there at Michaels or the rest it just not. They all have pretty much the same stuff.

I did after much searching find a lady on ebay that does some really neat ones for a very good price and not an over priced shipping charge. If any one has any more for him to look at that would be great.

Beth I am hoping. I am also going to make him present his own case at to the market members. My and his thing mainly it not fair to make a kid pay $25 to be there when they will be lucky if they makes that a week at the market. All he wants is a table not a whole tent.

He has put all of his allowance and his xmas money in to this. He has bought all his own stuff but using mom's iron. I did supply his first set of bags and wallets to iron on. Oriental trade had some good deals for them. He know after this he will have to make enough to resupply himself.

I do have a few of the market members on my side and this was their idea have a kids tent where the kids get 1/4 of a booth and they pay the market a percent of their sales. They will be allowed a 2 by 4 table the kids have to supply it. They feel like I do these kids need to know as much of the business world as possible including all the expenses of operating in it.

I took this really far with him after he made his first bags for xmas presents and he thought it would be cool to sell. I made him give me a a product cost and them asked him what he would charge. He did really good he even figured in his overhead. I guess he learn more from Mom than I ever thought he did.

The Farmer's market would be wise to encourage the youth of today...your son sounds like a sharp kid...and willing to put his money into the enterprise. They should let kids have the small table for just a small % of the take. It can't hurt the other businesses and who knows, in a few more years he might progress into a full time seller and then they would benefit. Everyone should be encouraging young entrepreneurs. Our newspaper just carried a story about a 17 year old that bought and runs a supper market in a small town in MN. And I give you kudos for letting him do the figuring of cost, overhead, etc. What a great learning experience you are giving him. :yay: Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a little update he sold his first bag on esty the other day he was so happy. I went to give him his money and he asked if I could be his bank so he has money to resupply himself. So we set up a little Bank account on my computer which hold a list of the dates he sells and how much he made and we will keep a running total so he know when he has enough money to buy some more stuff.

Here is a few pictures of what he did they are pretty simple but fun stuff.

post-7-139458440541_thumb.jpg

post-7-139458440544_thumb.jpg

post-7-139458440545_thumb.jpg

post-7-139458440547_thumb.jpg

He can get fusible web and fabric and do his own designs as well. I always satin stitch with my sewing machine over the edges, but there's a type of fabric paint that leaves a kind of ridge when it's applied in a line, and I've seen that used to cover the raw edges of the applique.

One thing he should watch out for, is some of the iron on stuff is not as permanent as they say. Do some samples and subject them to a bit of wear and tear and a few washes; I'm sure you wouldn't like it if people came back and said the applique came off.

Thank you Doris I will have him test a few to make sure they stay on.

For the stuff that does stay on well do you recommend anything to help them stay on better. He has really super limited funds so he can not afford to waste any on unusable stuff.

In my case, and I buy stuff from Pellon, which is considered good quality, it sometimes starts coming off before I get to the sewing machine. My suggestion is to get it from a good fabric store and ask them for suggestions. I think there is heavy duty available, but have never used it.