Interested in making candles

My sister belongs to this board and recently started making lotions and soaps. I would like to make candles. I have gotten a couple of books and took a class at our community center but I know have a long ways to go before I am popping out perfect candles.

One of my main questions is.... when you buy a scent or follow certain guidelines it says to add an ounce of Fragrance Oil to one pound of wax BUT.... I just read on here on a thread that you have to subtract the content of the Fragrance oil out. So then how are you adding an ounce to a pound? :confused:

Because if you are taking wax out of the pound, to make up for the Fragrance, it is no longer a pound of wax, right?

You are looking for your total recipe to equal 100%

your recipe being

FO

Wax

Additives

Dyes

Now most of us do not factor in the dye amount because honestly 1 drop of dye would have to be measured in grams.

The recipe you are talking about

Is for a 7% FO load

3% additives of the wax used the rest would be wax

Start here

16 X .07 = 1.12

14.88 is your base wax/additive part

Take 14.88 X .03 = .448 round up to .45 this is your additive amount

Then take 14.88 - .45 = 14.43 this is your wax amount

Take and add all those numbers together

--------

16.00 total you now have exactly 16 ounce of ready to use candle blend.

Does that make sense or did I just confuse you.

would I just take my 7 and multiply it by .16 and get 1.12 - which is the same thing you got for FO %?

Then I would subtract 1.12 from 16 which equals 14.88

THEN (LOL) I would multiply 3 x 14.88 = which came up with 44.64 (wich like you said round up to .45, then subtract the .45 from the 14.88 and I come up with 14.43

Same as you. I guess it is just a different way of doing math. I am just not sure how you originally got the 14.88.

would I just take my 7 and multiply it by .16 and get 1.12 - which is the same thing you got for FO %?

Then I would subtract 1.12 from 16 which equals 14.88

THEN (LOL) I would multiply 3 x 14.88 = which came up with 44.64 (wich like you said round up to .45, then subtract the .45 from the 14.88 and I come up with 14.43

Same as you. I guess it is just a different way of doing math. I am just not sure how you originally got the 14.88.

How I got the 14.88 was subtracting 1.12 from 16 which equals 14.88

Suds_N_Flamez.I got most of my advice and idea to make candles from her. But I don't get along with her nasty snobby business partner (who my boyfriend cheated on me with) So I choose not to involve her in me learning how to make candles. I mean my sister and I talk about it.... but I am just looking to do it for a hobby right now. And I was afraid she would sugar coat my mistakes or laugh at my questions. So I asked you guys instead. Seem weird I bet.

You don't need to get into complications at this point unless you insist. :)

There are two methods, one of which is to figure your additives per pound of wax. Adding an ounce of FO to a pound of wax is fine. The "per pound" method is popular and certainly the simplest approach if you're new.

The other method is to plan the percentage concentration of each ingredient, including wax, so that everything adds up to 100%. You can always use a percentage formula if you want to, but it only becomes necessary with more elaborate formulations.

Often you'll hear people talk about fragrance oil as a percentage, so it's useful to know the "per pound" equivalent. In the straightforward case of just wax and fragrance, 1 oz FO added to a pound of wax closely approximates 6%. If someone says 7% the amount is 7/6 = 1.17 oz pp, 9% is 9/6 = 1.5 oz pp and so on.