Using wicks designed for vegetable wax in 4630

The wax we love to use but hate to wick.... I have tried so many different wicks! Using 4 oz. jelly jars, FO at 6%. HTP, LX, cottons, RRD, ECO. I have a few scents that I get great melt pools and throw, but the flame is so tiny a slight breeze will put it out. If I use an RRD or ECO, I don't have this problem BUT the flame is just a little too large. I am already using the smallest size available for these wicks. Does anyone know of wicks designed for vegetable wax that come in smaller sizes? BTW, I know 4630 is paraffin wax but the veggie wax type wicks seem to allow these heavy FO's to flow better. My worst FO's so far are Black Raspberry Vanilla and Amish Harvest (both Peak's). All input is appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

I think you are using too much firepower. I use zinc wicks and get good burns and nice hot throw.

Hi Jan, I agree with you that it is too much firepower. Zinc wicks are not self trimming, are they? Please correct me if I am mistaken. That is my problem. I must use self trimming wicks because I know my customers won't trim the wicks-they have told me as much. I do include warning labels to trim wicks but people will do what they want. Thank you all for your input and taking the time to answer me.

Hi Jan, I agree with you that it is too much firepower. Zinc wicks are not self trimming, are they? Please correct me if I am mistaken. That is my problem. I must use self trimming wicks because I know my customers won't trim the wicks-they have told me as much. I do include warning labels to trim wicks but people will do what they want. Thank you all for your input and taking the time to answer me.

Have you ever power burned a candle made with a self trimming wick? It's not going to keep it completely trimmed. We make the candles the best we can, then the customer is just going to have to accept responsibility for how much they abuse it when they get it. JMO

Have you ever power burned a candle made with a self trimming wick? It's not going to keep it completely trimmed. We make the candles the best we can, then the customer is just going to have to accept responsibility for how much they abuse it when they get it. JMO

Hi SatinDucky! I agree with you too! I guess that is why we buy insurance. We can never control what people are going to do. I do powerburn my candles. Surprisingly, they are pretty well behaved-good flame, good melt, jar not too hot, mushroom not too big. If not, I just don't offer them. The candles that I do offer, generally burn right down to where they are supposed to and then go out. Of course, I can't say I have too many successes at this point, but I keep trying! :laugh2:

As always, thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried LX14?

No, tried LX 8 and LX 10, C-30 and 60, RRD29, Eco 1, and several sizes in Cotton. Either I get a great melt but tiny tiny flame, or a great melt and a huge flame. This is with Peak's Black Raspberry Vanilla, 4630 wax, and a 4 oz. jelly jar. The cottons just don't give enough flame and I didn't consider going up even higher because I already have a great melt. I may give on this scent in this wax in this jar. I have others that do great with LX8 or 10 so maybe that is where I stay. Thank you for your input.