fo's and asthma in kids

Jenn A

I have a 5 yr. old with asthma. I've been making candles for about 2 years. I haven't noticed a problem when I'm mixing or burning, but different kids different reactions. I would just talk to your doctor and see what he thinks.

Thank you both :)

I know someone that has a baby that will 2 in Jan,he's had asthma and been in and out the hospital since he was born.

She just started making candles.He was at the dr yesterday because he was breathing hard.I was just wondering if that may be it.

I know she'll be really disappointed if she has to quit but I'm sure she'll put his health above the candle making for now.

Thanks again,

Jenn A

I would definitely be careful. If you have a detached garage that you could pour in, that would be best. However, it isn't just the pouring, but the test-burning that could aggravate sensitive people. I'd definitely keep an eye on things to make sure your pouring and testing is not adversely affecting him or her. There are many people that are just plain sensitive to scented candles and scents so it is definitely something to make note of.

I would definitely be careful. If you have a detached garage that you could pour in, that would be best. However, it isn't just the pouring, but the test-burning that could aggravate sensitive people. I'd definitely keep an eye on things to make sure your pouring and testing is not adversely affecting him or her. There are many people that are just plain sensitive to scented candles and scents so it is definitely something to make note of.

Thanks.I was telling her that maybe she could go somewhere else and make them but then there's the test burning.

He gets sick really easy anyway.I'de say that she will just put the candles on hold for awhile.I hate that for her but if he can't handle it,he can't handle it!

Jenn A

i have two kids who have it.they are teens now. they never have acted like it bothers them. but with one that can not tell you who knows.at that age i would make candles when he was not in the room like napping.for my kids it is worse when they get the least little bit cold.it makes it act up alot.forget about barn work or mowing grass in other words they get out of all the chores.

i have two kids who have it.they are teens now. they never have acted like it bothers them. but with one that can not tell you who knows.at that age i would make candles when he was not in the room like napping.for my kids it is worse when they get the least little bit cold.it makes it act up alot.forget about barn work or mowing grass in other words they get out of all the chores.

Thanks!

yes,they do get out of alot of it.

My 10 yo had it worse when he was younger,the we found out 2 years ago that he MVP (mitral valve prolapse) which they say isn't dagnerous but it will make him have chest pains sometimes.They scare him,bless his heart.

Jenn A

definately a possiblity. my aunt can not even be in the room when most candles are burning (for some reason, most vanillas don't bother her). her voice sounds all scratchy, and she ends up losing it after a while.

Yikes! Bless her heart!

My dh is that way.I have to go get the laundry det. because the smells are too much for him.

Jenn A

What about animals. I often wondered if my dogs were being affected because their noses are soo sensitive. I know that birds are extremely sensitive and can die from things like cooking spray and finger nail polish. Just curious, I guess I should ask my vet.

My son and husband both have asthma and yes, there are certain scents that have triggered asthma attacks. They vary though...what causes it for DH doesnt cause if for my son.

I was babysitting the other day for the pastors kids and they have a son with asthma. I didnt think about it and was making candles (BCN Harvest) and he said he couldnt breath.

So far the only problems have been the super strong scents like Harvest, Home Sweet Home, etc.

HTH - Pam

I don't have inside pets so I never thought about it..hmmm...I guess I would ask my vet if I were you.

Thanks Pam.I think she's decided to put the candles off until they get moved into a larger house.

They are ina small mobilehome right now and she said she didn't ventilate.I hope he'll be ok once they get moved because she REALLY likes making candles!

Jenn A

My daughter has asthma (home nebulizer tx at times) and I can say that certan FO do bother her but the worst for her is making too many scents in a day...sounds weird but if i'm doing say 6 scents the combo. is very hard for her...or one time when the power went out i had around 10 scents burning in the house, which smelled like a fruit basket she started to wheeze...and we had to leave... since then i keep many unscented candles around for the power problems! and,...i only pour maybe 2-3 scents in a day...ones that compliment each other like apple and berry.....hope that helps