New melt pool test

As many of you know, I am a HUGE fan of 4045 and 4045H wax for pillars. When I moved I started buying IGI waxes and have had a terrible time getting them to burn the way I want them to. That is....to self consume without messing with them at all and not bulging. I started with IGI 1343 and do not like it for my applications. Then I tried IGI 1274. Better....but not what I wanted. I am attaching a picture that I didn't intend to be an experiment but it turned into one. I was just using up some left over wax and poured a couple of candles for me. Surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are both IGI 1274. I usually only use stearic acid in my candles because I like the jewel tone I get. Well............the cream one was an experiment in marbling that went wrong however, I added a small amount of vybar 103 and look at the difference. They are wicked with 0/2 SB. Who knew. I am very surprised. Now.....I still can't figure out how to get the 1274 to burn without adding the vybar. For an opaque candle it is great. Donita

Happy New Year

post-248-139458439444_thumb.jpg

Pam.....I will be very interested to see what the polybost does. It is just this wax that I am having a hard time with. When I used 4045 and 4045H I had no problem and was using about 3% stearic. They burned perfectly....well most of the time (smile).....The girl that works at Cierra Candles said that she gets a great burn with 1274 and 0/2 wick. Maybe the polybost will firm up my candle. Thanks for the idea. Donita

I have never used it....guess it is time. I like to have more than pretty good luck. I want my candles to be consistently good. I don't think that is asking too much. After 13 years of this I still don't know S---!!!!!!! lol, Donita

Just wondering if you've tried adding translucent crystals or something like that. I know it's a PITA additive (I melt it in the presto then once melted add the wax) but maybe just a little bit (1/4-1/2 tsp) will harden the wax enough to give you the burn you want. It doesn't inhibit mottling, but does help a little in the weeping department. (from my experiments, but sometimes I think I live in another dimension)

Yes, I've found vybar can harden wax a little, not as much as some other additives but it does harden the wax.

Karen B

I used the term pretty good because I don't make pillars very often and when I do it's just for me or friends so I don't have the wicking all tested and perfected. The 0/2 SB gives a "pretty good" burn in my experience so far just not the perfect burn I would hope want in order to sell with confidence. I'll look and see if I have any melt pool pictures I can post to show my results.

I'm not even that concerned with rustics and mottles because most of my candles are chunks. However, I do make rustics and mottles.. When I used CBL 141 for the chunks and the overpour was 4045 or 4045H.....3% stearic.....#2 SB.....I had just about the perfect burn. I didn't scent the chunks and I don't use a lot of FO. Maybe around 3 - 4%....that's it. But I still need to learn to work with this wax because I can pick it up and not pay shipping. That's a great motivation. Years ago when I used gloss poly my candles were always smoking. When I stopped using it the smoking went away too. I guess I can go back to the clear crystals and see how it works with this wax. I have about 10 lbs of the darn stuff. Thanks everyone for your input. I think I need to start from square one. Every wax is different.

As you can see in the picture the cream colored candle is burning completely different and the only differences are two kinds of FO's and a little vybar in the opaque wax along with stearic. The red one is just stearic. It is burning terribly. Well....at least I know how to keep a candle burning and that is a good thing because we have 4 storms coming right now and a blizzard and high winds. I have my lanterns ready....land lines ready....candles all over the counters and a box of batteries....and just in case we have power but no satelite....I got 5 movies from the store. But......the power will probably go out and I will be the only house in the neighborhood with light. The guy at the store today told me that if the power goes out, I should take a box down to the main street and sell them (smile).....

Donita

I've never had a problem with smoking and a little translucent crystals. (maybe it's the artful way I hang my tongue out)

I use superior wicks anywhere from 635-645 depending on what I'm making and the positions of mars, venus and the moon that day. Superior wicks self consume in a funny way, blossom, mushroom and those fall off, different from other wicks that fall over and self consume.

The key is to hang your tongue just the right way and do the candle mantra while the wax is melting.

Karen B

Karen, you are so right. Many years ago, Jeff at Pourette, told me the same things. It's all in the tongue lol..........

And.....Pam...you are right. I have dozens of candles on the island counter in the kitchen.....just waiting. The storm is coming closer. I just heard that 80,000 people have power out and that isn't a lot but it is widespread. Trees are coming down all over the place. My sister in law called this morning driving across the bay bridge in San Francisco and pieces of metal were flying past her. I just came down to my studio to get my lighter. I took a shower because we will probably lose power during this storm. I like hot water. I have four pitchers of wax upstairs ready to experiment with some little candles.....it never stops with me.....even during a blizzard here I am making candles. (smile)......All of my experiment candles were very helpful in Virginia during power outages. I could light the whole house up. The power company asked me how come I had power and no one around me did. I smiled. lol With fifty candles burning.......there was plenty of light. Donita