Crooked Wicking

Hi all. I have been having this problem since I bought a skein of wicking. It wasnt actually wrapped around a spool, just wound up like, say you would wind an extension cord and stuck in a little bag.

Now I find that no matter what I have done to straighten it in the candle, even tho it may be perfectly straight in the wax, once I burn it, it curls over every place there was one of those bends. And it curls enough to make the candle burn lopsided no matter how many times I physically move the wick over to center.

Did I buy something I shouldnt have or is there a special trick?

Thanks all.

What type of wick is it? Are you sure it only curls over where the bend was? Some wicking, like flay braids especially, are designed to curl to make it self-trimming. When it starts lopsided, as it burns it's supposed to eventually catch up all around. Though I personally have never been satisfied with it...

Thank you for your replies. I dont really know what type of wick---just something sold at Michaels in little bags. Flat braid yes.

And yes, I tried keeping it as taut as possible when pouring and cooking. It was definitely taut.

I also primed and then rolled them so they were straight as they cooled and the wax set up. Still the same thing. Maybe it is just cuz it was flat braid.

Note to self--walk right past flat braid in future.

Have you tried ironing? ;)

Seriously though, heat might help. Occasionally when it's very humid I'll hit wicking with a heat gun to make sure it's dry. That also seems to take the curl out of it from being on the roll. Be careful not to scorch the wick; my heat gun has a temperature control on it.

Lots of the newer flat braids (HTP for example) are designed to work well in container candles. Plain old-fashioned flat braid is much less rigid and mainly useful in candles that don't get too deep a melt pool. That could be your issue too.