Ready to scream trying to find a wick

I am trying to single wick a 3" dia. 8oz. tin using a blend of 90% GW 444 and 10% 4627. No matter what I have tried, using a wick big enough to give me a full melt pool in 3-4 hours results in huge 3 and 4 headed mushrooms. I thought it may be fragrance so I tried some samples with no color, no fragrance, and still got the mushrooms. I have tried various sizes of zinc, LX, RRD, CSN, and HTP. I have samples of ECO and CD on the way which I will test, but if they are similar to the HTP as far as curling when they burn I have my doubts. The only wicks that did not mushroom were the HTP62, 73 and 83 however the melt pool was nowhere big enough for the 8 oz. tin, about 2.5" at the largest. I am very new to this so any insight would be appreciated. Is it possible the GW 444 is causing my mushroom farm?

And just for the record, believe it or not I am a guy that loves scented candles, so please don't call me girlfriend LOL

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use different wax -- GW 415 (EZSoy) with a bit of beeswax -- so my results will likely be a bit different. For what it's worth, though, I use CD wicks in the 8-ounce tins, and I can single-wick most scents with CD-14, 16, or 18. Some scents develop no mushroom, some have small to medium mushrooms ... and it may be that some have larger ones. I'm afraid my notes don't include much info about mushrooms. They don't bother me, so I don't pay much attention to them unless they're really big.

Peaks sells an 8 oz tin soy kit and they use a container blend in it and the wicks are cotton core c-60 wicks. Maybe those might work if they're the same diameter? http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Soy-Container-Candle-Starter-Kit__K1004.aspx

I was researching gw444 before I chose to go with C-3 and it's supposed to be a great wax that really doesn't need anything else added. I've only read good things about that wax, and that's why I originally wanted to go with it, but C-3 I can get with no shipping, so I went with C-3 for the savings. Curious, why are you adding another soy container wax to it? Maybe that could be what's doing this?

Vio,

The 4627 is IGI comfort blend paraffin, the sticky stuff. I added 10% trying to eliminate the frosting and maybe help adhere to the container. It completely did away with frosting and they look wonderful when poured with very nice smooth tops. Now if I can just solve my mushroom problem I'm all set. I could live with a small amount of mushroom, but I get big ugly 3 and 4 headed monsters after 3 hours. I will test the CD and ECo wicks as soon as they arrive, however with the holidays it is taking forever to get them LOL

OK since we're both n00bs to this, let's discuss this a bit. LOL You tried the 444 alone and it gave you ugly tops? They were sinking or something? Or were they just yucky looking bumpy tops? Maybe someone can guide you in your melt and pour temps or something? It could be the method you're using or something with melting and pouring temps, that's creating the icky 444 alone. Did the wicks mushroom when you tried straight 444?

I did initially pour straight 444 and truthfully, they were not all that bad. The tops were fairly smooth, but no matter what temp I poured at I had frosting. I originally poured jars so it was much more noticable. However even the plain 444 mushroomed badly for me. Adding the 4627 eliminated the frosting and smoothed out the tops noticably. Also after cooling down from a 4 hour burn, the top remains smooth and doesn't cool bumpy like the plain 444 did

The only wicks that did not mushroom were the HTP62, 73 and 83 however the melt pool was nowhere big enough for the 8 oz. tin, about 2.5" at the largest.

And just for the record, believe it or not I am a guy that loves scented candles, so please don't call me girlfriend LOL

Thanks

Hey Boyfriend! ;) For my soy jelly jars (inside diameter of 2 3/8 inches) I have to use 83s and 93s and need to go up to 104s with some of the heavier oils. So if you like them you may want to bump up to a 104 or even larger!

Also - if your FO percentage is too high it will contribute to mushrooming, too.

HTH

I did initially pour straight 444 and truthfully, they were not all that bad. The tops were fairly smooth, but no matter what temp I poured at I had frosting. I originally poured jars so it was much more noticable. However even the plain 444 mushroomed badly for me. Adding the 4627 eliminated the frosting and smoothed out the tops noticably. Also after cooling down from a 4 hour burn, the top remains smooth and doesn't cool bumpy like the plain 444 did

Wow I'm glad I didn't go with the 444 then if it cools bumpy after a burn. Have you tried just adding some universal soy additive to the 444 yet? It might help the frosting and the bumpy thing as well, and maybe clear up the shroom thing.

BF, I think that trying to attain a full melt pool in 3-4 hours on the first burn is unrealistic - soy burns down, then out. Did you burn your testers all the way down? If it's a 3" container, I would start with a CDN 14 and go up or down one from there depending on the burn. I dunno about paraffin, but the C3 I use in that dimension container takes a 14. If the tin becomes too warm, back down to a 12. If it hasn't made FMP by the third burn, wick up to a 16.

HTH :D

Hey Boyfriend! ;) For my soy jelly jars (inside diameter of 2 3/8 inches) I have to use 83s and 93s and need to go up to 104s with some of the heavier oils. So if you like them you may want to bump up to a 104 or even larger!

Also - if your FO percentage is too high it will contribute to mushrooming, too.

HTH

Judy,

I did try 104, and 105 but the mushrooms grew wild on both of those even in the testing with no FO

Wow I'm glad I didn't go with the 444 then if it cools bumpy after a burn. Have you tried just adding some universal soy additive to the 444 yet? It might help the frosting and the bumpy thing as well, and maybe clear up the shroom thing.

Vio,

It does look pretty ugly after it cools. The 444 is actually 98% soy with 2% soy based additive which I assumed to be something similar to USA, but I could be wrong there

BF, I think that trying to attain a full melt pool in 3-4 hours on the first burn is unrealistic - soy burns down, then out. Did you burn your testers all the way down? If it's a 3" container, I would start with a CDN 14 and go up or down one from there depending on the burn. I dunno about paraffin, but the C3 I use in that dimension container takes a 14. If the tin becomes too warm, back down to a 12. If it hasn't made FMP by the third burn, wick up to a 16.

HTH :D

Stella,

I didn't burn them all the way down if I had significant mushroom on the wick. The only wicks that didn't mushroom were the HTP83 and smaller, but giving me only a 2-1/2" melt pool after 4 hours I didn't think it would catch up in a 3" container

You might want to try and burn your tester all the way down...tins really heat up and should melt most wax residue...also the 4627 in my opinion is a very difficult wax to wick and for me it burns slower then soy! I have sucessfully burned 4627 in a 3 inch diameter jar with one 51z or 60z depending on which fo I use...I also use these wicks in a 50/50 blend and a 70/30 blend...also had good luck with LX's and CD's in these waxes...so since you are adding the 4627 you might want to give these wicks a try.

Stella,

I didn't burn them all the way down if I had significant mushroom on the wick. The only wicks that didn't mushroom were the HTP83 and smaller, but giving me only a 2-1/2" melt pool after 4 hours I didn't think it would catch up in a 3" container

Keep burning- those tins can catch WAY up by the bottom- they get hot and melt everything off the sides- even very thick hangup.

-Kristi

Keep burning- those tins can catch WAY up by the bottom- they get hot and melt everything off the sides- even very thick hangup.

-Kristi

Thanks, I will try that. I'm testing 3 LX sizes now and will allow them to burn all the way down. So far the LX and HTP seem to give me the smallest amount of mushroom, but still more than I would like to have. I wish my CD and ECO samples would arrive so I could test those, I'm so impatient LOL

My2, I scanned but did not see if anyone asked or you mentioned if you are trimming your wicks to ¼" before each burn? If the wick is too long, it doesn't surprise me that you are seeing 'shrooms! If this has been mentioned, forgive my blindness...:cool2:

I don't believe I was asked, but yes I trim them every time before lighting. You should see my growing pile of mushroom clippings LOL

I did have a strange thing happen on my last test of LX wicks. I tried LX21, LX22 and LX24 in my 8oz. tins. The LX24 gave me a full melt pool in about 4 hours, but the LX21 and LX22 both had very weak flames and left almost 1/2" on the sides. Don't have any idea why the acted that way