Wicking Tools

I tried to do a search but it seems to be on the fritz....

I "eyeball" my wicks but my eyes aren't doing a very good job.

I know there are various tools not only for centering and setting, but for keeping them centered and held at the top of the container.

Could you give me some of ideas of what works well and what doesn't in your containers?

It dawned on me this am that some of the sooting on the side of the jar I'm having probs with is maybe that my wick is too far to that side...:o

Looking forward to your input,

and thanks in advance

Dana

Look at some of the candle companies. I know BCN carries stuff that holds the wick straight and there's a wick centering tool (run a search and you'll find the person who makes these is a member here) and I'm sure there are many things you can make on your own too.

Maybe make a template of the bottom of your jar on paper, and sit a wick with tab on it and measure it so it's centered, then put the paper under the jar and be sure the tab is in the template area when setting it? I was thinking of doing this actually. Make one up for each type jar you use and mark them with their sizes and wicks they're traced out for.

Well I had a friend make me lots of things that slip over the top of my mold and hold the wick pin in place (that's for pillars), but I've seen and own some of what BCN offers that pretty much looks like what I have for my pillar wick pins.

I can't give you links from here on what to look at, because when I punch in stuff to search it freezes this computer. Did you try the wick centering tool? There are many people quite happy with it. I haven't used it and can only comment by what I read.

I guess you could make something like that at home by using some kind of plyable metal. Thick aluminum. Like pie tin aluminum. You'd just have to be sure you have dead center and mark it so you remember what jar you use it on. I bought those bars they sell at jbn and used it to hold wick in place, and just eyed it when I made my candle. Really didn't give it much thought whether it was dead center or not, because it looked dead center to my eye. I guess it's really important to be sure the wick is perfectly centered? I've only done one candle so far, so really have little experience to go on with this one. LOL ;)

Well what I've noticed so far, Vio, is if my wick is a bit too far to one side it soots that side of the jar.

I'm using 8oz JJ so the diameter is fairly narrow at 2.5-2.75" and seems like a margin for error doesn't really exist...:o

Aside from this issue they are burning beautifully, I'm thrilled!

(and a huge thanks to everyone here it's because of your help!)

Dana

Oh, and I forgot to add that the wick centering tool sounds awesome to place the wick.....just need to find a way to keep them centered at the top of the jar.....:o

edited: went to BCN, those centering tools (top and bottom!) look perfect

thanks again!!!!

dana

That's the ones I got when I ordered my USA from JBN. I only ordered 6 because I didn't know how they would work, but it worked well with my one candle. LOL

I don't know where I read this, but someplace someone said cheap dollar store combs work well for this too. I think it's easier to tell center though with the ones posted above. The jar I use is straight sided though which might make it easier to tell though.

Oh, and I forgot to add that the wick centering tool sounds awesome to place the wick.....just need to find a way to keep them centered at the top of the jar.....:o

If you click on the link below, you'll find the X design that fits on top of the jar as well. They are great!! I don't like the single bars because they can still move 1/8" in either direction, but the X type hold tight on the jar or you can add the adapter to get a snug fit.

Scroll down to Bow Tie Wick Bars

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/wicks.html

I like these a lot. :)

For eyeballing through clear glass bottoms, below is a centering tool I use (I printed out ours on card stock and laminated them - wipe clean ;)).

I cannot tell if you are experiencing trouble with a wick placement problem or an off-centered burn from a centered wick... You did not mention the type of wick you are using... If the wick is placed in the center of the container, but burns slightly off-center, it might be a self-trimming wick. These should be recentered as they burn to keep the burn pool even (press the base of the wick in the direction the wick is burning least, opposite the curl). Twisting after securing to the container helps a lot.

That's our centering tips - hope it helps. :)

Thanks for the tips everyone~

Stella, I'm not sure what my problem is...:laugh2: I am so new at this...and I am not getting consistent results yet, good or bad.

As far as wicks I started with ECO as that is what CS recommended. Of course, they don't stock the size they suggest in a 6" length (I still don't see the reasoning in that!) So I used ECO6 first, too big, then ECO4 still too big. I ordered some ECO2 from another company. I'm getting good melt pool and flame, but I get soot and smoke. Sometimes from the beginning, sometimes not until the 3rd or 4th burn. Sometimes not at all.!

Usually on one side of the jar only. I thought that the soot on the jar (or if I get uneven melt) it would be because my wick was not quite centered. ECO is a self trimming wick, and due to my inexperience I didn't even think about the curl of the wick being a contributing factor!

I have also used HTP wicks but IMO they have not done as well for me.

I also have LX, RRD and Premier700 wicks to try. Someone else suggested CD wicks also, but I figured I'd try what I have before I order another wick sampler pack......I have wicks out the wazoo now!

Hope this info clarifies, I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks

Dana