Question about soap making

Vio

I have no intention of playing with soap yet. Not even really a thought in my mind. I'm fascinated though seeing all of you making such beautiful soaps. Some of them, well most of them, I'm sitting here and my jaw just drops, because they look so amazing.

I never knew how soap was made before. I read this B&B forum, to see the pretty stuff and just read about the processes here and there and it's so interesting and mysterious to me. The words used like saponification and trace. I see lye used and hear scary stories about how it can react with metals and other additives.

Tell me, how is it that lye is so dangerous, it can eat through a pipe, but when it's mixed in soap, it's safe? It changes composition somehow I'm guessing? It just seems so mysterious, how such a caustic chemical can be the root of a product that is safe for skin. I'm assuming it turns into something safe once it's processed correctly?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I've read the soap making processes and still don't understand how lye changes to become safe. Is lye in all soap?

Lye (sodium hydroxide), alone, is never safe for your skin. Too much lye used in a soap recipe will burn your skin. That's why it's always recommended to run your recipe through a soap calculator. When a lye solution (NaOH + H2O) is mixed with oil(s), the mixture saponifies to make soap. This means that the lye has reacted with the oil and becomes inert. If too much lye solution is used, there will not be enough oils to saponify and the mixture will be "lye heavy" meaning that there is left-over lye in the mixture. This left-over lye will typically cause skin irritations. If not enough lye is used, the recipe is said to have a superfat percentage. This is generally harmless and, usually, good for the skin. But, if a superfat recipe is used on very oily skin, it can cause pore blockage, irritation and sometimes infection.

Ahhh I see thanks for explaining that! So this saponifies is what makes the lye turn good, when done right. Thanks for solving my curiousity! LOL Being so new to this world here, and hearing lye in soap all the time, I was wondering how lye made soap. Thank you for explaining it to me. :)

There is no active lye left over in a well-made bar of soap. Most soapmakers calculate how much lye is needed to convert all the fats to soap, then deduct a percent -- say 5% -- from the lye. That way, there's a "buffer" or margin for safety. A few unsaponified oils/fats (not turned into soap) remain in the finished soap, but no unspent lye. It's completely used up changing oils/fats to soap, basically.

hth!

OK now here's another question. How do you know that the soap is saponified in the safe area? I mean, like a person makes some soap and miss-calculates. There is too much lye in it. Is there a way to test that before you even put it on your skin? Like would it show in a strip test of some sort?

There would be visible lye pockets when the soap bars are cut. And there would be zap -- tongue testing would tell you that there was still lye left.

After you've made so many "normal" batches of soap, an experienced soapmaker can tell if something is just not right. Not normal. Know what I mean?

And sometimes there will be a pool of the stuff. You'll know, because it will look like it doesn't belong and it doesn't.

Vio a great tutorial is Robin's. Shows you step by step. Collect some oils and lye and let's just help that curiosity of yours by making soap. Eugenia had a great soap in a shoebox tutorial in the classroom section that you can follow along also. AJ's doing HP on Jan. 6 too, a good beginner's class.

Oh yukky!!! LOL tasting soap has got to be the pits! LOL

I guess I understand, that after you do it for so long you just know. Fascinating, this soap making. As much as I enjoy the candle info here because I want to make candles, I find myself just wanting to stare at the soaps you all make. I have no desire to make them, but they're just so interesting to look at. LOL They're really so pretty, and for someone who knows nothing about it, it's so cool to see the process of how someone makes soap. I had no idea just how much is invested in soap making and how hard and dangerous it could be. Really had no idea that it was a chemical reaction kind of thing that made soap, soap. LOL Thanks for easing my curiousity. I just had to ask, because all this lye talk, I was wondering why people would want to use it if it was so dangerous. Now I see you have to use it. Amazing. :)

And sometimes there will be a pool of the stuff. You'll know, because it will look like it doesn't belong and it doesn't.

Vio a great tutorial is Robin's. Shows you step by step. Collect some oils and lye and let's just help that curiosity of yours by making soap. Eugenia had a great soap in a shoebox tutorial in the classroom section that you can follow along also. AJ's doing HP on Jan. 6 too, a good beginner's class.

Oops missed this post while I was posting other response. I have to admit I'm scared even thinking it. LOL I think they look so pretty though, and would love to try it one day. I doubt I'd have what I'd need for the Jan 6th class supply wise to even do a small batch, to do along with the class, but will read it. Can't hurt. One day I want to try it, but it just seems scary to me. I really admire all of you who do it though. Such beautiful soaps. It really does amaze me that people make a bar of soap look so pretty and the things inside them, seem heavenly when described. :)

Oh yukky!!! LOL tasting soap has got to be the pits! LOL

I brush my teeth with handmade soap. I've been doing it for over a year and my teeth and gums are just getting better every day. I only use tooth paste when I'm meeting someone and want minty breath. You get used to the taste and after about 2 days it isn't yucky anymore and after about a week you don't even notice the taste at all.

I only use handmade with lavender eo but next time I'll add a little Tea Tree to the lavender.

Something to think about, for more info search the Dish, there is a huge thread about tooth soap over there.

I brush my teeth with handmade soap. I've been doing it for over a year and my teeth and gums are just getting better every day. I only use tooth paste when I'm meeting someone and want minty breath. You get used to the taste and after about 2 days it isn't yucky anymore and after about a week you don't even notice the taste at all.

I only use handmade with lavender eo but next time I'll add a little Tea Tree to the lavender.

Something to think about, for more info search the Dish, there is a huge thread about tooth soap over there.

sorry to hijack but couldn't you add some peppermint eo for that minty breath?

sorry to hijack but couldn't you add some peppermint eo for that minty breath?

I don't know how much to add to get minty breath. I'll bet it says how much to use in that thread at the dish but it's such a long thread...I'll pass reading it again.

Vio, it's true you need to respect the power of the lye. But I wouldn't be deathly afraid. As long as you are careful and use some common sense safety precautions, there's no reason you can't make soap! If you are detailed and thorough when it comes to following directions, you're good to go. :)

Goodness knows I'm an idiot, and I've churned out hundreds and hundreds of successful batches thanks to the soapers that have gone before me and paved the way. :)

I think my biggest fear is my two curious kids. 5 and 7. Husband has ever changing hours and kind of works at one full time job, and an occasional side job when needed. With it being only me and the kids most daylight hours into early evening most times, I'd be nervous if they were underfoot with this lye thing. If I have to leave lye sitting somewhere mixed with water, I'd want to put it in a locked area so they can't go near it. I don't have a safe place set up for this lye water thing to sit yet, so until I'm sure I can avoid them coming across it, I won't feel safe. I'd also want to make soap with them both not home and only one is in school. Son starts next Sept. With both of them gone full day then, I think I'll feel more safe knowing if I had to run out of the house with lye exploding, that they wouldn't be underfoot.

They're really good kids but they're normal kids and they jump around, and play and laugh, and touch things sometimes. I just will be a nervous wreck if they are underfoot with such a scary substance that could react as I've heard it can here. I think it's good I'm doing all this reading now and getting used to the place, because I really want to do candles, and it's safer to make them right now for me. And then later on will want to try soaps too, so getting interested and reading for a while even if I'm not actually doing, will just make me more informed. So I'm holding out on actually being able to make soap till next Sept. Will do my candles until then, and perfect them if I can, and will have a lot to look forward to when I make my first soap.

As slow as I'm going with all this, I'm really having so much fun reading about it and seeing everything people make. It's really interesting and inspiring as well.

I think my biggest fear is my two curious kids. 5 and 7. Husband has ever changing hours and kind of works at one full time job, and an occasional side job when needed. With it being only me and the kids most daylight hours into early evening most times, I'd be nervous if they were underfoot with this lye thing. If I have to leave lye sitting somewhere mixed with water, I'd want to put it in a locked area so they can't go near it. I don't have a safe place set up for this lye water thing to sit yet, so until I'm sure I can avoid them coming across it, I won't feel safe. I'd also want to make soap with them both not home and only one is in school. Son starts next Sept. With both of them gone full day then, I think I'll feel more safe knowing if I had to run out of the house with lye exploding, that they wouldn't be underfoot.

They're really good kids but they're normal kids and they jump around, and play and laugh, and touch things sometimes. I just will be a nervous wreck if they are underfoot with such a scary substance that could react as I've heard it can here. I think it's good I'm doing all this reading now and getting used to the place, because I really want to do candles, and it's safer to make them right now for me. And then later on will want to try soaps too, so getting interested and reading for a while even if I'm not actually doing, will just make me more informed. So I'm holding out on actually being able to make soap till next Sept. Will do my candles until then, and perfect them if I can, and will have a lot to look forward to when I make my first soap.

As slow as I'm going with all this, I'm really having so much fun reading about it and seeing everything people make. It's really interesting and inspiring as well.

Please keep in mind that you want to keep your lye and lye water high and out of the reach of small children and pets. I don't have kids but I have a pitcher that I mix my lye up in and it's labeled and big letters Lye water Do not Drink. Lye water will look just like plain water because it is and it contains lye. Do some research here on safe handling of lye. I have a very healthy fear of it now that I know how to work with it safely. Googles when dealing with this substance and gloves are a must. Some days I have slippery and loose fingers when soaping. Last batch half of a bowl that I measured my fragrance oil in splashed in my soap pot. I ended up getting some soap batter on my googles. If I wasn't wearing them I would have gotten lye in my eye.

my kids are also 5 & 8, and I don't soap or even make up lye solution when they are around. during my totally obsessive times I've been known to make up my solution on my way out the door in the morning and rush back at lunch to soap - but usually I do it all once they are in bed.

You can ensure safe soap a few ways.

- Measure accurately and check things off your list as you add them in.

- Make sure the soap is "finished" - a good soap will be quite solid once it's saponified.

- Look for tell-tale signs like excess liquid, crystals, pockets: these don't necessarily mean free lye, but they are danger signs

- Zap test your soap. It's not terrible or anything - a quick touch to the tongue and you are done.

- Wash your hands first. Really, use a bar of your soap at the sink before exposing your whole body, or worse yet face, to a new soap.

Once you are used to soaping and seeing your results you will notice when something is not quite right.

btw, lye cannot eat through pipes.

Well thank you for the tips and understanding as well. One day I want to try it. Tell me, can lye water be covered tightly? Or does it give off gasses where it can explode? If I could put it in a container, I know I would worry less.

I'm going to keep reading, and will try a soap this Sept when 5 year old goes to school full day. I'll be much more at ease then. :)

Well thank you for the tips and understanding as well. One day I want to try it. Tell me, can lye water be covered tightly? Or does it give off gasses where it can explode? If I could put it in a container, I know I would worry less.

I'm going to keep reading, and will try a soap this Sept when 5 year old goes to school full day. I'll be much more at ease then. :)

No fumes once it's finished mixing. I wait until mine is cooled down and store it in plastic gallon water jugs.