Please humor me - how much wax in an 8oz jj?

Thanks!

Here's why...

And I know so so much better....

But I've been doing this almost a year now...

And have awesome smelling candles....

But I always assumed (and I know this is sooo wrong) that for an 8oz jj I would fill my pyrex to just under 8oz and would measure out .5oz fo (.75oz if I knew I needed more for a better throw) - so 1oz ppw - and go on my merry way. Fills up the jj to just where I want it.

I think I got this from when I first started with soy - read directions (I think it was a kit from ebay) to fill pyrex to a certain line, etc etc etc so that's always the way I've done it and with great results. I've played with a gazillion waxes and routinely use J50, soy, and 4627 - all with great results.

Why do I know better? Because in the past year, I've read and read and read post after post after post and I also became a soaper and with small soap batches, you need very precise measurements. I know that! I know weighing matters - that volume and weight are 2 different things!

So I decided to weigh my wax this weekend. And it was about 6oz. So - I'm adding .5oz fo to 6oz of wax which works out to be roughly 8%. When I add .75 (which I rarely do...only just started doing with some JS fos that I couldn't get to throw well at what I then thought was 6%) it's roughly 12% and I go around preaching how I never do over 6% yadda yadda yadda.

I feel like a complete and total goofus.

Jen

LOL, you're a mad scenter and never knew it. I guess now you know why you have awesome smelling candles.

But you still may not know what your percentage FO is. If you add .75 oz FO to 6 oz wax and it's all measured by weight, then you have 11% FO like this:

.75 / 6.75 = .11 * 100 = 11%

However, if you're measuring the FO by fluid ounces that calculation is meaningless because you'd be mixing weight and volume. You have to weigh the FO and plug it in to know the percentage.

lol..I like that - The Mad Scenter!

I always measure my fo by weight (I use a scale - a very accurate scale at that).

I know better - that's why I'm just confuzzled over why I thought this was the way to do it - probably because I kept getting such good results.

You know...this probably explains why I had a little seeping when I tested JS 123 (slapping forehead).

My sil loves my candles and put together my first ever order for me (over $200) so I weighed the wax for labeling purposes and that's when I discovered my snafu.

I know I've got an awesome product. I've spent gazillions of dollars and hours on testing, research, testing, research, etc, etc, etc in this past year and I missed probably the most basic of basics - weigh EVERYTHING!

Jen

Ok, now I am confused. Two people, two different calculations, two different results with the same beginning numbers... So which one is right?? 11% fo or 7.2% fo? Or is it just a matter of opinion? I measure my wax by dry weight, and fo by fluid ounces. It works for me, or am I just making it too easy? Or is everyone else making it too hard? So many different perspectives!!!

Ok, now I am confused. Two people, two different calculations, two different results with the same beginning numbers... So which one is right?? 11% fo or 7.2% fo? Or is it just a matter of opinion? I measure my wax by dry weight, and fo by fluid ounces. It works for me, or am I just making it too easy? Or is everyone else making it too hard? So many different perspectives!!!

Let me unconfuse you. E and I used the same calculation, that part isn't a matter of opinion. E figured out that 6.4 oz wax should fit in an 8 oz container so she used that number, whereas I used 6 oz because Jen said that was what she actually was putting in based on her fill level. I guess mine should be right because it's based on the weights Jen gave. The only problem with Eugenia's is that it might not fit in the jar once you add FO to 6.4 oz of wax.

As far as what you are doing by weighing the wax and measuring fluid ounces of FO, that's perfectly fine. You can do it any way you want. It's a matter of preference rather than right or wrong. However, with that method you can't say what % FO is in your candles because you don't know unless you weigh it. There's no way to figure it out from fluid ounces.

The starting numbers were not the same. The 11% was using .75 oz FO and the 7.2% was using .5 oz FO. And as Top said, the difference betwwen the 10.5% and 11% was using 6 oz wax and 6.4 oz wax. :)

I get 5.59oz (by weight) total liquid into my 8oz JJ's.

For a 10% FO load I use .56oz of FO with 5.03oz of wax.

For a 9% FO load I use .50oz of FO with 5.09oz of wax.

For a 6% FO load I use .34oz of FO with 5.25oz of wax.

I like my candles stong scented, and so far, I'm pretty happy with 9% FO, but on some scents I will go up to 11.5% or 12%, or down to 5% or 6% if it's too strong. The April Fresh Downey FO from LS is the only FO I've had to cut back to 6% on so far, as it will scent a small city block at 9% and above.

You need to find new suppliers. Good FO should NEVER have to be used over 8%. Sounds like you've only found one good one so far. 11.5 or 12% is crazy!

e

I like my candles stong scented, and so far, I'm pretty happy with 9% FO, but on some scents I will go up to 11.5% or 12%, or down to 5% or 6% if it's too strong. The April Fresh Downey FO from LS is the only FO I've had to cut back to 6% on so far, as it will scent a small city block at 9% and above.

That's exactly what I was thinking too e. I was wondering if it was due to the small size of the jar or even the wick size I use because I buy my FO from the same places that everyone else raves about being the best, so I was assuming it had to be something wrong somewhere else.

Grumpygirl - with 4627 you should be getting an awesome throw with just about anything! Try some zincs - that's the only wick I can get to work for me in the 4627 - everything else smoked horribly. I tried cds, ecos, htps, etc. I did just get a lx sample pack in and will try those too...

Jen

Thanks Sawyer. I got great burn with the LX wicks, but the throw isn't as good as the HTP's for me. I haven't had an issue with smoking or sooting at all with any of the LX or HTP wicks I've tried. I did try some 51z's a while back, but got really, really bad mushrooming and smoking and didn't know how to fix it.

I really think I have issues when it comes to the temp at which I add my FO's. I got some FO from Cierra that I fell in love with, but it wouldn't mix for squat unless I cranked up the heat on the pot and warmed my wax up to 200 and added the oil around 190 and mixed it till it blended, pouring at around 175-185. I also heated the oil prior to adding it. It takes a bit of work, but I can get it incorporated. With this particular scent, I get awesome throw no matter what wick I use, so I wonder if all my FO's should be added at temps like I do this one. Generally I heat to 185, add my FO and dye and pour around 170. As soon as I can, I'm going to try the higher temp method and see if I can tell a difference.

Also, at a suggestion I stopped using the soy with this wax and noticed that I had a really hard time getting the oil to blend without it, so I went back to using it. I couldn't tell a difference in the throw at all, both with the soy out vs it being in.

What % of FO do you use with the 4627?

It's so interesting how everyone can have such different experiences! I add fo around 185, stir, and pour immediately after.

My fo%s is why I started this post originally. I thought I was doing 6% but I'm going a bit higher than that :o .

I use top notch fos from Scent Works, Daystar, Just Scent, Snowtop, Peaks, etc.

Jen