more fo questions

mrsposey

As posted before, I have been pouring and testing tarts. So far I've poured about 24 scents using Yaley's premium candle wax (as this is available locally and I don't have to pay shipping). I did not use any additives. I'm finding that many of the fos smell wonderful cold but do not have a great hot throw. Some are very exceptional while others are not so good. Is this common to get so few good ones out of a batch this size or is it just me? At first I thought I had candle nose, but I put one in the other day and it filled my entire kitchen/dining, living room area in a short period of time and lasted a very long time. I wish they all were that good!

Some scents themselves are naturally lighter than others, giving them less throw. What wax are you using and how hot are you adding the fragrance? Maybe it's not incorporating well... In the spring the FO companies online will start to have $1 sample sales. It's great for testing. I highly recommend buying some samples to test against the Yaley ones... you may be very surprised!

-Kristi

Kristi,

The wax I'm using is from Yaley's. It's their premium candle wax. The samples I am using are from Indiana Candle Supply, Bittercreek, IFT and Lebermuth. I am using 1 1/2 oz pp. I'm adding the fragrance at about 170 degrees. Is this too hot? I believe this wax is just paraffin. I used it because it is the only one available locally and I was trying to save shipping costs. Is there an additive to help throw? I've spend a fortune already in samples, but am looking forward to the samples sales! Thanks for your help!

Nancy

If it were me, and I was using the Yaley's... I think I would add a teaspoon of Crisco or coconut oil just to improve the texture and look of the wax. I have heard they help with throw, but it's really a big debate as to if it really works or not. I just don't like working with straight hard paraffin. I get much better results with a touch of 'SOMETHING' else added to it, be it a bit of soy wax or the oils.

A note about candle nose.... I could be wrong, but to help you determine if it is really that or not... I THINK it really only happens in regards to similar scents. So if you test an Apple Cinnamon all day you might stop smelling it, but if you switch to a floral and can't smell it, its probably not candle nose. Where as if you were switching from a straight vanilla to something that had vanilla in it as a component, you then might not smell it as well due to your nose's defenses shutting down that 'offender'. Hope that makes sense, lol.