looking for the easiest way to do this

I need to make a couple Mary Englebreit (ish) pillars...I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do it...pretty much all I can come up with is an ice pillar, first pouring the black wax and then the white..it won't be checkered but that's the only way I can think to do this..I don't want to do one black layer and one white layer...any suggestions?

I just did a google search on Mary Engllbreit but couldn't find the pillars you are describing (probably everyone in America knows exactly what you're talking about but I have no idea) so could you post a photo of what you want to achieve as that may spark ideas. Mozzie

Unfortionatly, I can't help with the how, except to say that I like the ice candle idea.

I grew up with M.E. and love it! My mom is the biggest fan in the world I think.

Would love to see pics of what you create and if I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

Life is just a chair of bowlies...

Sara

Well if you have any cutter that will form a perfect square for you, you could pour wax into a cookie sheet, when set up, but still pliable, cut out your squares. While they are still pliable, arrange in your square mold and then pour the opposite color. I've been working on this with polka dots. You can make a shell out of one of the colors, remove it, cut the squares, put it back in the mold and pour the other color (seems like more work).

I'm thinking on the cut and place squares you may want to support them with chunks, put in the pliable stage, wax will stay against the mold.

OK, a checkerboard top & bottom, with cherries in the middle, eh? Is that right?

I agree with making white and black chunks. For a square mold, you could measure the inner width and do math *faint* to figure out how many cubes of what size would be required to go all the way around tightly... So make the two colored cubes and stack them tightly 3 or 4 courses... then the cherry embeds, then pour, then when nearly set up, but still warm, the other checkerboard courses on top. Then, dip the whole thing in hot water once it's cool.... Might work... does this sound plausible? :confused:

Well that's true but I thought you all put pictures and flowers and such on the outside of pillars all the time. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the difference and it's just for show. I'd make sure the wicking was such that it would not get to the sides. JMO

What's the difference? Someone will ultimately burn it so that's why the discouragement not to make something of that nature. Safest thing to do is not do it or pull the wick.

OK, a checkerboard top & bottom, with cherries in the middle, eh? Is that right?

I agree with making white and black chunks. For a square mold, you could measure the inner width and do math *faint* to figure out how many cubes of what size would be required to go all the way around tightly... So make the two colored cubes and stack them tightly 3 or 4 courses... then the cherry embeds, then pour, then when nearly set up, but still warm, the other checkerboard courses on top. Then, dip the whole thing in hot water once it's cool.... Might work... does this sound plausible? :confused:

I don't know, but it sounds like it would be pretty darn cute if it worked!