Coloring bath bombs

DaniGirl

I'm using FD&C liquid dyes but I'm not happy with them. Like with red, I can get various shades of purple and light pinks, but not much more than that. Is there anything else I can use to get more variety in colors? Has anyone tried labcolors or bath bomb colors? If so, how do you like them? Anyone tried both and can compare? Anything else I can try?

I use labcolors for most of mine. Energy is done with the grape powder color from the sage. You can see them here:

http://www.capellasgarden.com/index.php?cPath=21

The dark burgundy bombs in the big picture of bombs was done with burgundy mica - what a mistake! Looked like someone had died in the tub! I try to keep them less vibrant now and never use micas!

Bethany

You can use these colors, but not if you will be selling. They are not FDA approved for B&B

Im sorry but I think you are incorrect. If you are able to eat it it should have FDA approval for the ingredients. Here is a link to the place that sells the colors

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=9

I'm not actually having any problems with the water based other than getting certain colors. Is there another reason they shouldn't be used? I never thought of what certain vibrant colors would do to the water lol. I guess that is something to keep in mind, but at least with the bubble bombs you mainly see the bubbles so it wouldn't matter much what's going on under it. Thanks for your help everyone.

Im sorry but I think you are incorrect. If you are able to eat it it should have FDA approval for the ingredients. Here is a link to the place that sells the colors

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=9

Well, it's nothing new if I am wrong LOL! Somewhere in the back of my mind though I do remember a long ago thread about food coloring not being OK for B&B...

Sweetcakes sells the Wilton colors, they are suitable for bath bombs.

You can get them at Walmart as well. Or you can disperse mica into castor oil and use that for coloring. Works for scrubs, as well.

Water-based colors are not optimal for bath bombs.

Are labcolors water based? Why not water based? Because of premature fizzing or what?

Bethany

I'd like to try out La Bomb colorants, but 20ml seriously wouldn't last me long at all.

I don't make tons of bombs, but I have made about 50lbs of bath salts and have hardly used any of the La Bomb colorant. As I mentioned, it only takes a drop or two.

Ann M