Questions about soy?

I am using Soy advanced which I have used for around 6mths. I made a couple of candles last weeks, some with a 6% Fo load, and some with an 8% Fo load. By the evening both candles were "sweating" with the surface covered in droplets. By the next morning, there was puddles of moisture around the wix. It looked like the Fo had oozed back up through the wix. Although when I smelt it, it didn't smell overly of Fo.

I know that many of you don't like or use the advanced, but I don't have many options here. So using this while I get the feel for candles. But this is the first time they have turned out so horrible. Admittedly the weather here is very hot and humid, but still this was more than I had experienced before.

Also I thought that my scent throw was ok, until I received a candle in a swap, and realised that I have no throw compared to that one. sigh.

So options are, change my wax to, what? I think I am going to have to go over seas to get what I want anyway. Play around with adding other wax to improve final pour wax look? What works best? But what do I do to improve scent throw. tried numerous wix's that are available to me, some are better than others, but nothing like the swap candle that I tried. Feeling a little defeated at the moment.

Any advice and help greatly appreciated.

Tracey

I think the heat def. had alot to do w/it...whoever you swapped w/maybe ask a few questions abou what type of wax they use and what their procedures are...doesn't hurt to ask! Most of us on this board are pretty open to help other fellow chandlers out!:wink2:

Kimmeroo

Mate...give up on the Advanced. Sorry to be blunt...but I have tried from the few suppliers here and our Advanced (no idea if it's EXACTLY the same as outside Aussie) is hopeless.

While the candles look great (usually) the scent throw is woeful!!!

If you can't bear the idea of dissing the Advanced, try using a blend (para and soy is good)..or if you want to keep everything as natural as possible play around with some of the other waxes available to us.

I thoroughly understand your disappointment and frustration with what's available here...but what can we do? I just ordered a shipment that cost me $132 US and then paid $152 US for delivery....hehhehee. I'm just hoping my items dont break in transit!!!!

Do you only make soy candles???

Cheers Hellen

Unfortunately the swap was a few years ago now, and my children threw out the tin when it finished. It was a soap or what ever swap on another board, that I haven't been on for a couple of years. I would remember her addie though. She also didn't have on the container what she used. Just the scent.

Hellen I know what you mean about postage. Whet to order some things last month and the postage was twice the amount that I had ordered. Cancelled the order. If I can get good postage rates, it is worth ordering over seas, as even with the postage factored in, most times it is still cheaper than buying here.

I guess I need to do more playing around and see what happens.

Thankyou everyone for your help.

Tracey

I concur that CBA is a useless product and an advanced snow job. Who cares what it looks like. That's only impressive because soy candles are so ugly. There are lots of great looking waxes that throw scent.

What's more, it's so unfortunate that you're troubling yourself over the prospect of ordering wax from overseas. The only reason we use soy wax is because we have a huge soybean crop and giant food corporations in the USA. They grow this profitable junk crop instead of good food and they're always looking to drive up demand and prices for soybeans. It goes into making bad food substitutes and a lot of mediocre oil. The solidified oil that isn't used for baking and deep frying is sold to us as "wax" for candles.

None of this has the slightest thing to do with you in Australia. It's not about ecology or health. All industries rape the earth and there are no candles that are bad for your health. Use whatever container wax is most easily available to you. You'll save a lot of money and make better candles.