What to Do—“Just in Case” (Sorry It's So Long!)

Alajane

I had a woman call recently (from a couple of hundred miles away) who was so thrilled with the scent throw of one of my candles she had received as a gift that she ordered a case of that scent for me to ship to her. I received a check from her promptly and I got the candles in the mail to her the same day, including the following note at the bottom of her invoice:

“I want to “warn” you that fragrance in my wax blend gets stronger with a curing time, so the candles you receive will not be at their full strength for about 2 weeks. I try to keep several of most fragrances on hand to avoid that situation, but just had someone buy my last candles in this fragrance and had not had a chance to restock them. I wanted to tell you this in case you think the candles in this shipment are not quite as strong as the one you already have.”

Well, of course, she called me the day after she received the candles to tell me that they smelled absolutely wonderful cold but she got no fragrance at all when lit. I told her that was the reason I had included the note on her invoice. She had no idea what I was talking about because she had taken the invoice out of the box and shredded it immediately since she had already paid me!

I told her to put the lid back on the candle and wait a few days before trying it again and to give it at least a week before she gave up on it. I also told her I would hold her check until I heard from her. She said that wasn’t the reason she called—that she wanted to let me know in case I had changed wax or something.

I just wanted to get some opinions on what you would do if she’s still not happy at the end of the week. Should I return the check without asking for the candles back or should I return her check, along with the cost of shipping, and ask her to return the candles to me?

TIA,

Jane

I would hold the check and HOPE that she listened to you. What I also know is that when customers due the same scent of a long period of time, the get candle nose and start blaiming thethe candle instead of their own nose.

If you haven't changed you formula, then trust it to cure. Unfortunately we can never trust a customer to cure candles properly, which is why I never ship candles that have not cured for at least five days.

I hope she does the right thing and allows the candles to cure. I would also subtract the one she burned from the check and retun her money AFTER she has shipped the candles back, if she decides to do that. JMO,

Fire

Fire

That is a tough one. Especially if she says she can't smell the scent while the candle is burning. But I would handle in a professional manner. What are your policies on returns? Mine are, customer always pays for shipping on returns and a 25% restocking fee. I don't think your candles are defective at all they just need some cure time. I don't see any reason why you would refund her money and let her keep the candles. Unless you want to go out of business very quickly.

I don't really have any policies in place.:o :tiptoe: I haven't done much shipping since I don't have a website--most of my sales are local (through word-of-mouth) and at shows.

And I've never had anyone complain about lack of scent (not saying it hasn't happened--people may have just thrown away candles and not told me!!). I do use a relatively large fragrance load (for instance, these candles were KY's orange chiffon and I used 1.3 oz FO per pound wax). So I don't have any "dissatisfaction policies" either. Guess I need to start figuring that out! That's why I wanted some opinions.

Jane

I guess the number one thing to add to your policy list is never sell candles before they're properly cured. I think the power of suggestion planted the idea in her head that she can't smell the candle. She went looking for trouble.

If, at the end of two weeks she's not happy, get the candles back and refund her money. If you made those candles exactly as you have all the others and never encountered any problems you shouldn't have to offer a "satisfaction guaranteed or get your money back AND keep the product" policy. Get those candles and sell them to someone else.

Sockmonkey, it wasn't the power of suggestion--she hadn't read the invoice before shredding it and was very surprised when I told her there was a possible explanation on the invoice. I agree--I've decided if she isn't happy, I'll pay the shipping to get them back so I can test one myself and, if they're okay, put them in my stock. I did make a small tester from that batch and it smelled fine, but I was burning it in my bathroom and that's a small area.

She was so very enthusiastic about my candles when she first called me--said she was a candle nut and had burned all the big names I don't want to spell out here and had never had a candle scent her whole house like my 8-oz candle did. So I really feel like she was expecting the best when she opened the box.

I agree--a "satisfaction guaranteed or get your money back AND keep the product" policy is a bit unwarranted. I've just read on here so many stories of business owners bending over backward because "the customer is always right!"

Thanks,

Jane

Well, I hate to say this, but with some customers, they like to push the customer is always right slogan to the limit, so watch out...the customer is always right until the customer is wrong. Be careful of those out to get free products by trying to say your product wasn't any good. If you are going to do a refund, require your product be returned and offer to have her send it COD or you pay shipping. Then, sell to someone else. Just my 2 cents.

Alajane, I read where you said she claims to have shredded the invoice and never read your warning, but I'm just far too cynical to believe it.

I honestly think that she was "spooked" by your message. Maybe she's right. Maybe the candle wasn't putting out a strong throw; but to be fair to her, she shouldn't have been put in the position of waiting for the candle to cure in the first place. I know she was anxious to get the candles, and you were anxious to make a sale, so it was the creation for a perfect storm.

This makes me think about that old commercial where they said "We shall sell no wine before its time." The same should be true of your candles. The thing about the situation is, even if the candles are identical to the previous candle she had, it's really not fair to notify her after you ship them, that she has to wait for them to cure properly before she burns them--especially during Christmas when she may have purchased them for gifts. That's the only reason I would consider taking them back.

Just my 2 cents...for what that's worth....

I totally agree with Sockmonkey.....I really don't think you should have shipped them before they were cured and ready to use. Period.

Also....just my business practice, of course....but you said that you got her check in the mail and shipped the candles the same day. I, personally, have a policy that no shipments will be made until your personal check clears MY bank. I know you were thrilled for the sale (who wouldn't be?).... but you really need to deposit that check and make sure it's good to start with. I like to think there are still good and decent people in the world, but unfortunately, there are so many jerks out there that write bad checks and the like.

Soapbox is free if anyone else wants to use it...I'm jumping off and heading back to my corner. :tiptoe:

Donna

Thanks so much for all your thoughts. Debscent, you're right that I'm "borrowing trouble" (as my mom used to say); I just wanted to have an idea of how other people would handle it just in case the problem arose.

Since I use a blend of more paraffin than soy, I've never been a real firm believer in needing a curing time--most of the time, I think the candles are fine the day after they're poured, but I DO believe they get even stronger with time. The only reason I gave her the "warning" is because she raved so much about how that candle was stronger than any she had ever had, and I figured it may have cured for a couple of years before she got it!! It's a scent I've carried for year so I have no idea what route it may have taken to get into her hands.

I sure appreciate all the input for more experienced sales people than I am.

Today was a week since her phone call so I called this morning to check on the candle scent throw. She said the candles are wonderful! She tried them again on Sunday and they were great then (wish she had let me know so I wouldn't have been stewing about it and bothering you all with this post!!).

She said she had parted with one of her candles as a gift for the school secretary and I would probably get several more calls because everyone at school loved it!

IF I do get any more calls, I'll tell them I can't ship for at least a week after the order to allow for cure time!

Thanks for all your input--just wanted to give you an update.

Jane

I told her to put the lid back on the candle and wait a few days before trying it again and to give it at least a week before she gave up on it. I also told her I would hold her check until I heard from her. She said that wasn’t the reason she called—that she wanted to let me know in case I had changed wax or something. [/quote]

From what you said here, it sounded like she was fine with her order, and she just wanted to let you know something was a bit different.

I am glad to hear everything turned out great thought. :D

she called me the day after she received the candles to tell me that they smelled absolutely wonderful cold but she got no fragrance at all when lit.

artcwolf, I guess what the above sentence may have been lost in my long initial message! No, she was very unhappy with getting no scent throw while burning because the great scent throw was what had prompted her ordering from me.

But thank goodness the cure time did make the difference--I never was really convinced about it before! Guess "all's well that ends well."

Thanks for your response.

Jane