goat's milk custard

GrandmaArial

Got some whole goats milk. Stuck it in the freezer til slushy… had my oils ready to go… added lye to goat’s milk with the pitcher sitting in a tub of ice water, looked pretty good, a little orange, but not bad. Also the smell wasn’t nearly as bad. Then… phone rang. I had to run for an hour but thought no problem, I’ll just lock the door so critters can’t play. Came home and lye water is A) bright orange. B) stinks to high heaven. C) has turned to a custard like consistency, almost like the early stage of cheese. Yup, I dumped it and started over with plain cold GM.

I give up… I am obviously not meant to make creamy white GM soap.

too late now I realize, but you needn't have thrown it away. The lye was saponifying the fat in your milk, and denaturing the protein to boot - just as it would have after mixing with oils. I just carefully SB it till smooth and add it in as normal (I don't mind the dark color, and the smell fades quickly).

GrandmaArial..I feel your pain...lol I have trouble getting light soap with GM too..The last I made I took about 30 min. just to mix in the Frozen GM..it was a little lighter and didn't seem to stink as bad either.....I will just have to see how it turns out...so far It is doing good..but it has only been about 1 wk.

I have trouble getting any soap to be white..

CB is right in that you could have saved it. The smell would have cure out and the soap would not have turned orange but more than likely would have turned a light brown/tan. You could have stirred the lye mixture to get rif od the lumps or just added it to your oils (that is what I've done before with no problems). Once you added it to your oils, it would have been easy to stick blend those blasted lumps out. I think I probably would have done the same thing you did GrandmaA if it was my first time as well. Oh well, live and learn and now you know. I just know that next time you will make a wonderful soap. :)

CB is right in that you could have saved it. The smell would have cure out and the soap would not have turned orange but more than likely would have turned a light brown/tan. You could have stirred the lye mixture to get rif od the lumps or just added it to your oils (that is what I've done before with no problems). Once you added it to your oils, it would have been easy to stick blend those blasted lumps out. I think I probably would have done the same thing you did GrandmaA if it was my first time as well. Oh well, live and learn and now you know. I just know that next time you will make a wonderful soap. :)

Next time I will ignore the phone until after I’m done soaping!

i did think about beating the chunks into submission... but they wers so chunky, I couldn't get it smooth in the pitcher and was afraid to put it in the oils. I used the last of my summer herbs for the "Goats in the Garden" soap. This is the last batch til mid spring...

The way I do mine is I mix 50/50 gm/water. I mix my lye with my water, let it cool to room temp. or colder. I mix my lye water with my oils and then add slushy almost frozen goat's milk a little at a time. I use the evaporated gm in the can. It's a little more concentrated so having the water in there makes it 100% gm. I get fairly light soap this way. I do master batches of lye solution so it's room temp. when I add it to my oils.

After reading this thread I got motivated and made my GM OMH. But I "cheat" and use powdered GM which I SB like heck into the oils along with my oatmeal.

Tried to prevent gel by putting it out front in 35 degree weather before bed - and temp was still dropping. In the morning I was NOT delighted to see that dark line of an incomplete gel running down the center of the log. So I stuck the whole thing into a warm oven, turned it off, and went to work - complete gel upon return.

I cannot prevent gel to SAVE MY LIFE!!!

I always freeze the milk over night. Put the container into a sink of ice and water. Then slowly add the lye, which gradularly melts the milk. I continue the stir until cold, and leave in the ice water until I am ready to soap, stirring every now and then. Always stays a light creamy colour.

Tracey