Fusion Magic

beau's mama

I purchased this a couple of months ago from KB, but was too nervous about making lotion to use it. I pulled it out today & WOWZA! For a virgin lotion-maker, this was too easy! So easy that I got nervous again :smiley2:

OT sells it as fantasy creme maker, but neither of their instructions say anything about heating & holding the water (yep I've read a gazillion lotion-making posts!) I called KB & asked about that & was told (by the gentleman w/ that sexy accent:drool: ) that FM is a cold emulsifier :confused:

Anyway, I heated the water to 170 & held it for 20 mins, let it cool to room temp,and got to hustling!

Here's what it looked like in a matter of 10 seconds

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64191

I have had fun playing around with FM. I still heat and hold for 20 minutes and then make sure water and oils/butter are below 100 before mixing. I like the thicker creams/body butters better than the lotion consistency. I know some people have found that after a period of time, the lotion/creams pill. I have not had this problem yet. I made a body butter back in April and found it the other day. It is still very nice with no pilling.

It is definitely fun to play with and so easy to use.

Ann M

Ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've been eyeing this at KB and OT. That looks purely decadent! If it's that easy, I may have to get some soon. (Cuz, like, I need another addiction! :laugh2: )Good job! How's it feel??? Donna

It feels great so far. I managed to get it in a bottle. We used it last night & I'm still nice & smooth this morning. There was a slight tacky feeling on my hands for about a minute, but not on my body:confused: then it went away. I have to figure out what that is. DH needs heavier oils (castor, avocado etc) 'cause his skin's so thick.

I never realized how inexpensive making lotion could be. It takes very little ingredients to crank out a #.

Go ahead & get some...feed that addiction girl!:D

I have had fun playing around with FM. I still heat and hold for 20 minutes and then make sure water and oils/butter are below 100 before mixing. I like the thicker creams/body butters better than the lotion consistency. I know some people have found that after a period of time, the lotion/creams pill. I have not had this problem yet. I made a body butter back in April and found it the other day. It is still very nice with no pilling.

It is definitely fun to play with and so easy to use. Ann M

Ann, what's "pilling"? The only pilling I know about is what happens to sweaters :) Don't tell me that lotion can start to look like that :shocked2:

• 2 months later...

I use 2 oz. less water than what it calls for and let oils cool to room temp. before adding fusion. Then I let that sit awhile before whipping up. Nice an creamy and no pilling. This is the receipe but I don't use 25 oz. water, I use 23 oz. and I add 1.5 oz. fusion or cream maker. Makes a nice body butter. Feels a little greasy at first (not bad) but quickly absorbs and no pilling, even after weeks of making. Customers like this for the spring and summer weather. You could even go less water and stay with 1 oz. fusion.

25 oz Distilled Water (I use 23 oz.)

7 oz Liquid Shea

3.4 grams preservative of choice (.12 oz easier to weigh in grams) 6 grams FO or EO (.21 oz easier to weigh in grams)

1 oz Fusion Magic (I use 1.5 oz.)

The last time I used Fusion Magic was in November. I picked up a malibu of that lotion yesterday and discovered that it had separated. White liquid and white lotion. Hope everyone I gave that to used it quickly. I only used the fusion magic because I ran out of ewax and BTMS50.

I am offically never using fusion magic again. I have always had pilling but the separation surprised me.

I have used the WSP Cream creator. I had to add a bit more of the creator to get it as thick as I wanted, even though I followed the guidlines they posted. I am getting ready to send testers out, so I will have feed back in a few weeks.

I made two variations, one with regular oils and butters, silk and hydrovance, and the other with goat milk powder and colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, avacado oil, and a few other basics. They both feel a bit sticky when first putting them on, but my skin stayed soft until the next morning with the goat milk one.

Steph

I have had excellent success with Fusion Magic, but only in making body butters. I once made a lighter lotion and it seemed to separate out.

For the body butter there are some tricks of the trade. First off, you still need to heat and hold your water. Then you need to cool the water to at least 100. I use only mango butter. I have tried shea butter and a blend of shea and mango, but for consistency, the mango makes the best butter.

I slightly melt my mango, but not necessarily all the way. I then add the FM in a small stream with my stick blender. Next I slowly stream in the cooled water and continue to stick blend. It will get really thick. I then switch to a whisk. Lastly I add my preservative and fo.

29% butter ( I use only mango)

5% Fusion Magic

64% water

1% phenonip

1% fragrance

I have 2 jars that are almost a year old. They are smooth and silky with no pilling. If you add the the water while it is still warm or the melted oils are too warm, the FM doesn't combine well.

Ann M