looking for a soap recipe to help son with acne

mcornwell

my 6 year old son has developed some acne on his arms and legs. I have taken him to a dr. and he wants him on steroids. (a steriodial cream, but still a steriod) I dont!!! i was wandering if anyone knew of a soap recipe to help him. i was thinking about tea tree oil. i have a oz of it. what do you guys think? tia

I'd just try some antibacterial soap and possibly a little hydrocortizone in some unfragranced lotion for sensitive skin. My kids had eczema when they were little and I would put some unscented Walgreen's brand white baby rash cream on it and it would help a ton. Zinc stuff. A tiny little bit of hydrocort won't hurt and even though it's not the best to do long term for skin, if it is just a rash, it will clear fast and it won't be needed more than once a day.

It sounds like a rash he might have. Sorry I don't know of any recipe for you, but I've dealt with a lot of skin stuff with myself and my kids. Hope you don't mind my comment, but it might not really be acne. The doctor might have called it that, but it might just be a rash.

acne? on his body? if he's getting tiny pimples on his skin it could be a staph infection which needs to be treated with antibiotics. the hydrocortizone is then used to help keep the inflammation & itching down and help prevent future infection.

if he needs i - use it. a short stint of hydrocortizone isn't going to hurt him, and he as a dr monitoring him. you need to balance the good with the bad - and there's not much bad involved in proper use of the stuff.

he's been to his ped and a dermatologist. they both say its junivel (sp) acne and not an infection, thank goodness. derm gave me a lotion with steriods in it. and told me to make sure to wash him well. if he only new this kid. he lathers up like crazy. i am wondering if he could be allergic to the bubble bath we bought at the dollar tree. it has alot of slsa in it. i guess i will break down and use the cream the dr gave him. thanks for all your help.

Tea Tree oil is very effective on acne, but since he's little I would either buy a cream that has it in it or just add a drop or two to your hand with an unscented body lotion and try that as TT oil can feel like it's burning if any of the pimples are open (my son uses it on his chest all the time for acne.) I'm with the others here, I wouldn't worry about a short term using the corti cream.

I know I'm in the UK so things might be a tad different - but it does strike me as a bit strange as here the corticosteroid creams are normally prescribed for dermatitis or eczema etc - not for acne itself as the actual steroid creams can cause acne pustules... Kiddies are normally prescribed something like Hydrocortisone which has a 1% steroid in it...

As I understood it, Juvenile Acne should be treated like any other person with acne - gentle cleansing etc... Carebear's right though - acne can be a secondary infection to folliculitis or a staph infection on the skin and the steroid cream will treat the skin topically for any itching and inflammation...

Short term it should be perfectly ok to use - but if it's primary juvenile acne rather than a sensitivity reaction or secondary infection and it doesn't respond to the cream PDQ I'd honestly be tempted to ask them to look into things a bit more than continue using it for too long... I'm honestly not trying to undermine your lad's doctors - I just really, really hate corticosteroids as my 10 yr old had horrendous infantile eczema in all the regular places and particularly badly in the groins from wearing a nappy - back then we religiously (as per GP/MD instructions) applied the cream and he now has a permanent scar in the groin where the skin thinned from the steroid cream. So VERY short term and VERY thin application would be my mantra now...

If you don't make it yourself - perhaps one of the other crafters on this board manufactures a cold process natural soap tailored to be exceptionally gentle for babies and very young/sensitive skin... The kids still get lots of creamy bubbles to play with but the natural oils in the soaps might be beneficial to his skin...

Good luck!!!

My daughter always got bumps and dry patches on her arms and legs in the winter time. I think the cold weather, and dryness in Colorado, used to cause this problem. I was always trying creams etc to keep her skin moist. That was way before I started making CP soap and handmade lotion. I do remember her getting a cortizone cream for some of these patches of red bumpy skin and we used it sparingly and it would clear things up for a while. The doctor never called it acne though. Just some type of dermititus.

My daughter is all grown up now but she still has very sensitive skin. Using very gentle handmade soap, and keeping her skin hydrated is what keeps her skin in good condition. I have had acne, on my face, and all the doctors I have ever seen always said to wash my face with a gentle soap. I would agree with ladydragon. See if you can find a CP soap for babies. There are no harsh detergents in handmade soap and baby soap is very gentle.

I have read that salt bars are great to use for acne. And they are easy to make. All coconut oil, lye, water and salt. Set up right away with no cure time if you cpop. I wouldn't use any FO or color. Maybe some EO that is used for acne. Lavender and tea tree maybe.

yep salt is good for any wound.