Stearic & throw & wick

Good morning. The candle I poured last evening is beautiful, darker red. No wet spots and no frost. I had to put my glasses on to be sure! I did add vegie stearic at 2% and wondered if that will effect the throw for good or bad? I used jj with a HTP 105 (working in the wax without additive). I couldn't restrain my hands from lighting it this a.m. I know it hasn't really had time to cure, but you know how that goes. LOL. I think I need to bump up the wick size just a bit. What's next...can be CD, LX, RRD, Eco, or? I think a HTP 126 would be too big. I'm so close, and you all have helped me so much before. Thanks! Beth

Good morning. The candle I poured last evening is beautiful, darker red. No wet spots and no frost. I had to put my glasses on to be sure! I did add vegie stearic at 2% and wondered if that will effect the throw for good or bad? I used jj with a HTP 105 (working in the wax without additive). I couldn't restrain my hands from lighting it this a.m. I know it hasn't really had time to cure, but you know how that goes. LOL. I think I need to bump up the wick size just a bit. What's next...can be CD, LX, RRD, Eco, or? I think a HTP 126 would be too big. I'm so close, and you all have helped me so much before. Thanks! Beth

Hey Beth,

That is good news! Did you only use the veggie stearic? Not with the veggie modifier? I need to try the veggie stearic too. Maybe I will try it today. Let me know if you used both or just the VS. Did you use a FO and color of dye that you have used before that gave you frost? Keep up the good work! :)

Hi Beth, I'm not a big HTP user, but I had an experienced chandlier once tell me that the 104 sometimes works for her when a 105 won't. I can't explain why but I trust her advise, if your real close to the perfect burn/mp w/ the 105 maybe the 104 will work for you- can't make any promises but its worth a try. So much can effect the wick (the amount of dye, the FO used- not sure about the stearic acid though). Hopefully someone that uses it will chime in, as I'm interested in knowing. I would think it does since it makes the wax harder you'd need a bigger wick to melt it :confused: .

Beth,

I used to use HTTP wicks until I changed to the CD wick. The standard for the 8 oz. JJ was 105 but if I had used a lot of color or a heavier oil had to wick up to a 105. One burn isn't enough. I've had candles that on the first burn the candle burned perfect but on the second or third burn it drowned out. One of the reason's I left the HTTP wick is that the size of the wick varied too much from order to order. I tried the RRD wick and hated that wick. Mushroom, mushroom, mushroom. I went to the CD wick and I will never change. I got my wicks from BCN.

Bobbie

Hey Bobbie, what size jars and CDs do you use? I have some samples that I have basically used up in another wax and can't remember what size fits in a jj. Seems the sq. masons use a 18 or so? I hate to order more wicks unless I'm pretty close to buying what I'll be using. The 51C and 60C do pretty good, but again big mushrooms. Once I find my choice wick, I'm having a wick sale. LOL. Thanks for the input. Beth