My First "Craft Fair"

R.S.

So I'm just getting started and an opportunity arose through one of my best friends. Her company has an annual "craft fair" at their office for employees to sell their crafty stuff.

My friend offered to sell my candles for me. It only lasted an hour and a half over lunch and I had really no idea what to expect so wanted to play it conservatively. (Would rather sell out and take orders off of an available order form, rather than have candles left).

So I made 42 candles, 7 candles of each of 6 different scents.

I was not actually there to sell the candles, my friend did it all.

Well the candles were a hit! Cinnamon, Pumpkin and Cranberry Citrus flew right off the shelves with orders for more. But.... not a single Banana Nut Bread or Vanilla Hazelnut sold (both Peaks). And a couple Mandarin Plums left.

These are two of my favorite scents, the candles looked spectacular, they had great cold throw. I'm just stumped and now I don't know if I'm happy at my overall result or not. I know I should be happy, but just can't believe I didn't sell a single one of those scents.

I asked my friend about reactions to those candles and she indicated that she thought some of them thought they were too strong. (I'm using about 7.4% Fragrance load).

So no questions, I just needed to get this out. Thanks I feel better!

I think your scents that sold just weren't Christmas-y scents. With Thanksgiving just over, everyone's thinking Christmas and holidays. It's possible those other scents just don't make them think of Christmas. I wouldn't worry about it. You did great!

I certainly wouldn't worry about it because every year is different as far as what customers want.

Last year, I couldn't keep Amish Harvest stocked to save my life! This year, I can't give them away!:shocked2: They're not moving much but my new Balsam Fir sold out at my last show. It's an excellent one with a very strong scent throw, both cold and hot. I sold 12 last weekend but not a sigle Amish Harvest nor Spicy Pumpkin! Banana Nut moved some but not great. Orange Cinnamon and Cranberry Cinnamon both sold well as did Vermont.

Chin up and know that the public is a finicky bunch. They will sell closer to the holidays when people want to impress their holiday guest with the great smells wafting from a cozy kitchen:wink2:

Fire

I love Banana Nut bread, but can't seem to sell it here. They say it's too sweet. I've sold apple strudel in all sizes, and lots of peach (how bizarre!). hardly any christmas tree or cranberry balsam (also bizarre) You can't trust your own nose...it's all up to the customer and what they want that year. You did great! Pat yourself on the shoulder and keep going!