Getting rid of wet spots

OK I read on here to get rid of wet spots use a hair dryer or heat gun on the spot. On what setting and for how long, because I did one of my smalloer jars and it only made the spot bigger, not go away. I know wet spots are not that big of deal and can be covered with a label but I would prefer to not have them at all. Any tips will help thanks!

lol - again another opportunity for you to make some cash - come up with something that permanently rids wetspots from candles and a few of us may pay for that product.

On a serious note, learn to accept and embrace wetspots. Yank3e has them. Look at alot of the well known major brands, they have wet spots.

Hell, I just paid $30 for a candle because I want to see if I can get similiar boxes made for my line.....but the candle is one big wetspot.

I guess I should have included more info -

There are things you can do to minimize them....I think it is Stella that has some great tips.

Wash you glass in amonia (i think - i use dawn) before pouring the candle.

This did help me some doing this....but 3 days later they may show up.

Thanks MizBizzyB. I'll get right on that wet-spot-ridder! LOL. As long as I know I am not the only one who gets them, I will be fine I hope. Like I said, I have candle labels I can just slap on the spot. I just thought I was still doing something wrong. You have been a lot of help to me!

Had a vanilla candle tested in three different jars, three different wick sizes, two worked wonderfully, one tunneled down. Just thought I'd add that! *Wink*

Wet spots are a cosmetic issue. You can minimize them on pouring, but subsequent changes of temperature may cause them to reappear.

1. Use a wax with good container adhesion properties.

2. Wash your containers in Parson's Sudsy Ammonia (or regular Dawn detregent) and HOT water, rinse thoroughly in HOT water; allow to air dry upside down.

3. Do not touch the interior of the jar once it has been washed. Wear gloves while wicking.

4. Pour into warm (not hot, just warm to touch) containers and allow to cool very slowly with good air circulation all around the container (so that it cools evenly).

5. Avoid temperature changes during storage.

6. Know that after a period of time, you may see them anyway. because #5 is HARD to control. :rolleyes2

Put the heat gun away for wet spots. It can create more problems than it corrects.

I don't like wet spots and I use to drive myself crazy trying to prevent them. I do all of the steps above and that's ok with me but beyond that I am not going to worry about them. I made a batch of candles that had not one wet spot but after 3 weeks guess what appeared?:tongue2: I think wet spots are annoying but it certainly isn't a sign of a poorly made candle. I think they bother us more than the customer. I have never had one person refuse to purchase a candle simply because it has wet spots. Most of the time no one even notices them.

I think wet spots are annoying but it certainly isn't a sign of a poorly made candle. I think they bother us more than the customer. I have never had one person refuse to purchase a candle simply because it has wet spots. Most of the time no one even notices them.

I agree PH! On our canning jars, it really is not very noticeable; but on jars with more clear glass area, it does look crummy... I just do what I can and make a peace with the rest.:D

In making my double-wicked glass tureens, I have never washed the glass, never heated the glass, don't worry about touching them, don't wear gloves and am not careful about the way they cool. Sometimes we spray the bottom of tureen with alcohol to aid in stickum adhesion. I just don't get serious wet spots. I think it is all in your wax blend and pouring as hot as you can. Carole

• 1 month later...

I fought the wet spots for about a year. I hate them, but its so true that customers dont notice them. Someone on here suggested a box lined with insulated board. A friend of mine made me one of those, its a pretty big, heavy box. But my candle room is colder than the rest of my house, so when I pour, I move them to the insulated box and leave them there for hours, they cool slowly and in a warmer environment, and that helped my wet spots a great deal. My candles are much better now. I may still get a few here and there, but nothing like they were before that box! Its cheap to make too. Maybe try one.

I think when I finally get around to making clear jar candles I'm going to market them as containers featuring "The Wet Spot Look". Maybe even trademark "wet spot" so nobody else can claim my new fame even though virtually all containers have them :grin2:

Now this is probably not the case, but I think a lot of new designs are accidents. Like "rustics". I picture old time candle makers having their wax and/or molds too cool and the surface coming out marred. Someone walks by and thinks it looks neat. Marketing a "messed up" candle just wont work. Hmmm... lets call it the "Rustic" look. I picture marbles the same way. Someone didn't get the dye mixed in good and wa-la! a new style is born. Then we have mottles. Manufacturers make the wax but have the added expense and trouble of additives to make the colors even and hold more oil. Sooo... lets leave this wax plain and call it "mottle" wax.

Yup, I like my imaginary world :P

I'm telling you....that insulated box worked like a miracle for me. The heat from the jars keep it warm a long time, they cool nice and slow and NO wet spots. Every now and then, maybe one but I can live with that. Mine were so ugly with all those wet spots I couldn't take it, I was willing to try anything and I was so glad that I tried this trick. I can't remember who it was on here that told me that, but thank you, thank you! Give it a try!

I agree with Carole. I was getting horrible wet spots and realized I was pouring at 175 or so. Upped the pouring temp to 180-185 and the wet spots are completely gone! I use IGI 4636 in 8 oz. & 16 oz. sq. mason jars. They look wonderful! No cleaning, no gloves, no heating jars (just made sure my room is warm), bunch the jars together so they can keep each other warm:grin2: .

After 5 days now, they are still gorgeous!

Carrie