Burning candle question

When I test burned two of my 6 oz. hex jars the wick pool went from a 1/4" to half an inch then stayed there but the whole top 1/2" of the candle remained totally melted. It didn't smoke, the wick didn't tunnel down and the wax does burn off so the candle disolves, great scent throw, nice flame, this is what I want. correct?

Because my mom was saying that the candles you buy in the store usually leave wax along the side, if even 1/8" inch. If that.

you will want to make sure that the temp above the MP is not extremly hot either. You want the full MP and clean burn but if it is to hot then you will want to wick down so the glass is not hot. Some of the store bought candles are not made right IMO and dont burn clean at all they tunnel more. I wick on the side of safety and I dont always get a Full MP in the 1st couple of burns but it does catch up towards the end.

You don't really want to achieve what most store bought candles are, you want to exceed those expectations. You want a good melt pool and great scent throw but you also don't want your candle to be overwicked to that it consumes wax at a high rate (meaning, you burn through a candle very quickly). Touch the glass, is it too hot to touch, if so, come down a wick size and go from there. One of the most challenging parts of this endeavor is finding the correct wick size. Eventually when you start figuring out fragrance oils, etc., you will know a good starting point for wick selection and improve from that point on.

Keep having fun!:D