MillCreek Soy Container Wax

This is my wax of choice!!! I've only used this and KY's 125. I know two chandliers that have tested other waxes and feel that MC's is superior. Its consistency is a big plus when you figure a wick/container/FO out, its nice to know the wax won't vary. I'm into testing but not like they are so I really respect their advise. I add 2 to 3% bw to it as well. HTH :)

Jen you can buy it by the lb so if you try it and find you personally don't like it you won't be stuck w/ alot. The beeswax is a nice natural additive that hardens the candle and helps with the hot throw. Also leaves the candle looking creamy (the tops set up nice.) If you use too much the tops will crack. HTH

I've been testing it, and so far, so good. I heat the wax to 185, add 3% BW, reduce to 175 and add FO, stir a couple of minutes, cooling to ab 120 and pouring in room temp jars. Tops are not perfectly smooth, but have a nice slightly dimpled texture. If desired, a quick heat gun zap smooths it out.

I am testing the Natural Soy also from Candlemaker's Store also, but really am leaning toward MC soy. What makes this wax desireable for me is MC is pretty close to me, the shipping for 50 lb is only $14.00. The downside, which really applies to all soy, is finding the scents that work well in soy.

From what I've seen and heard so far from lurking in the past, the best strategy is to find the closest supplier of soy to you, and work with it till you get it the way you want. It can be frustrating, but could save you alot of money in shipping in the long run.

:grin2:

AMEN about the shipping. I was wondering how testing was going for you greekrunner. I can give you a list of MC FO's that I luv. One good thing is that they test all their FO's in their soy for strength/throw. Most of my FO's come from MC.

Side note I emailed them awhile ago and shipping for 200 lbs (a shipping price break :laugh2: ) $65!! But what's a girl to do I like their wax and don't know who else sells this wax closer to me in (FL).:(

Thanks Geekrunner - so you don't wait until the soy gets "slushy" before you pour? Or does it get slushy at 120? The wax I usually use gets slushy about 90 minutes after mixing - it's fairly cool but I'm not sure what the temp is, perhaps around 90 degrees or so. If I wait until it gets slushy, I do a fast whisk to mix it all up and then I pour and as it cools it always gets a nice smooth top. I notice if I pour it before then that it will get a flaky top.

I've been getting my wax, wick and FO's from Atwixend which is in Dayton, OH (I think) and I'm near Fort Wayne, IN so I'm thinking that MillCreek may be closer ... I'm not sure. I'm hoping it saves a little in shipping - my last order from AWE was about 60 lbs and shipping was $30. They have great service - it's nice that if I place my order by noon that it always arrives the next day via UPS. BIG bonus :grin2:

I can give you a list of MC FO's that I luv. One good thing is that they test all their FO's in their soy for strength/throw. Most of my FO's come from MC.

Maryann, I'd love to see your MC FO list! AWE does the same thing with their FO's and it's nice to read on their scent list which scent goes better in what.

Thanks Geekrunner - so you don't wait until the soy gets "slushy" before you pour? Or does it get slushy at 120?

I've been trying to save some time in pouring, and found with the added BW I can pour a little warmer and still get reasonably smooth tops. I hate waiting so long to pour, and if I pour a couple of lbs at a time, it only takes ab 15 minutes for the wax to cool down to 120, after I add the FO. Before I used BW, I waited till it went slushy, which typically was ab 100, and got very smooth tops, but it took 45 minutes to cool down that much.

I can give you a list of MC FO's that I luv. One good thing is that they test all their FO's in their soy for strength/throw. Most of my FO's come from MC.

You would be a sweetheart for that! :D For some reason, it never occured to me to sample MC's FO. I have 20 samples of Peaks, and even tried Gemlite's FO from his eBay store (BTW don't waste your time on Gemlite, great prices and fast service but most of the FO is lame. Ask me how I know :embarasse )

I've been trying to save some time in pouring, and found with the added BW I can pour a little warmer and still get reasonably smooth tops. I hate waiting so long to pour, and if I pour a couple of lbs at a time, it only takes ab 15 minutes for the wax to cool down to 120, after I add the FO. Before I used BW, I waited till it went slushy, which typically was ab 100, and got very smooth tops, but it took 45 minutes to cool down that much.

I think I really have to get some BW with my order and try this! I do 8-10 lbs at a time (2 lb batches) and it would help to speed things up if I didn't have to wait for 90 minutes after mixing to pour! I just love this place...I've been pouring my own candles for four years now and I can't believe I *just* discovered these boards! What great tips I've learned :D

I too am I fan of Millcreek container soy. Very easy wax to use and the added beeswax is a plus. I think I would add white as opposed to yellow though....I've notice when adding the yellow beeswax that it will be a little yellow but if you're coloring, then it doesn't matter. But, if not, add the white... much prettier.

Thanks Maryann :D I placed my order with them last night (got the beeswax to add to their soy also) - HOPING I picked some good FO's. I picked different from what I usually get ... I am a bakery scent girl myself but I have to remember that not everyone is. I met a lot of non-bakery scent lovers at my show on Sun! Here's what I got in their sampler:

Magenta Nectar

Balsam & Spice

Groovy Patchouli

Coconut Lime Verbena

Hillbilly Homebrew

Litsea and Basil

Harvest Spice

Night Blooming Jasmine

Nishiki Grapefruit

High Cotton

and then I got Coconut Grove since it was on sale this month. Please tell me I did good :wink2:

I can't wait to get home tonight and see the sample scents from MC today! I have my MC soy with 3% BW all ready to reheat and try out a scent.

We can be known as the MillCreek Gang! :D

LOL! I can't wait to get my order! I wish it would come *today*

It is nice to know there are at least 3 or 4 of us in the "MillCreek Gang" so we can ask eachother questions, etc! :grin2:

LOL! I can't wait to get my order! I wish it would come *today*

It is nice to know there are at least 3 or 4 of us in the "MillCreek Gang" so we can ask eachother questions, etc! :grin2:

OH MY GOSH......this is worse than soaping!!!!

Now I want to try every wax out there..lol...

About a year into my soaping I justhad to try every butter/oil/fo there was :grin2:

OY...........

LOL, Jenn, I have wanted to get into soap for about 5 years but I've been too scared. I know for a fact that my bank account couldn't handle a soap and candle addiction. :D I keep getting closer and closer to it though. I think the only thing holding me back at this point is the fear of the chemicals:undecided

BTW, I got my stuff today and my scents all smell wonderful. I think I did good. I hope they smell as good in the wax! Now I can't find any canning jars. I went to Wal-Mart tonight and they were all sold out! Ugh! I was really hoping to try and make a batch tonight. Guess I'll have to wait.:angry2:

BTW, I got my stuff today and my scents all smell wonderful. I think I did good. I hope they smell as good in the wax! Now I can't find any canning jars. I went to Wal-Mart tonight and they were all sold out! Ugh! I was really hoping to try and make a batch tonight. Guess I'll have to wait.:angry2:

Try your dollar store, they might have something you can use. I get some jars from there from time to time. Some of them even have cases of canning jars. Big lots used to if you have one of those around, other wise a regular dollar store usually has something. They always have had those 16 oz mason jar mugs, the same as a regular jar, but with the handle. Grocery stores have cases of the mason jars alot of times too. Hope that helps some!

Thanks Laura :) I actually used to buy them from the dollar stores and our local grocery but I found Wal-Mart has them priced so much cheaper (I buy several cases at a time) that I hate to spend more than I need to. BUT, in this case, I just may have to go out and get one case of the mason jars at the local grocery to get my candle fix until Wal-Mart is restocked :D

Thanks Laura :) I actually used to buy them from the dollar stores and our local grocery but I found Wal-Mart has them priced so much cheaper (I buy several cases at a time) that I hate to spend more than I need to. BUT, in this case, I just may have to go out and get one case of the mason jars at the local grocery to get my candle fix until Wal-Mart is restocked :D

LOL! I know what you mean!! I go crazy when i run out because im in this little hick town LOL and they have nothing here! Even the dollar stores dont have what most others would. And even the walmart. I think we literally have the only regular walmart left in the world LOL Its not a super walmart lol. All the farmers around here take all the jars for canning LOL. Soooo...guess i will be ordering jars :undecided . Enjoy what you have...there are those less fortunate LOL hahaha. :D

LOL, Jenn, I have wanted to get into soap for about 5 years but I've been too scared. I know for a fact that my bank account couldn't handle a soap and candle addiction. :D I keep getting closer and closer to it though. I think the only thing holding me back at this point is the fear of the chemicals:undecided

hehe!

Oh you would LOVE soapmaking!! SOOOO many different oils/butters/colors......SOOOO many different fo/eo's...whew!

If you are careful,it is fine.It is very fun and very addictive.

I already have tons of fo's and I have gotten a hold of a few waxes (thanks to you gals that helped out on that one)/My tins came in,so I will start playing tomorrow.

I am going with some wickless ones right now because my sis in law is doing the jj candles.

She has done a wonderful job right off the bat too..lol....lucky!

If you ever need any help,I would be more than happy to help you out with the soapmaking.

LOL! I know what you mean!! I go crazy when i run out because im in this little hick town LOL and they have nothing here! Even the dollar stores dont have what most others would. And even the walmart. I think we literally have the only regular walmart left in the world LOL Its not a super walmart lol. All the farmers around here take all the jars for canning LOL. Soooo...guess i will be ordering jars :undecided . Enjoy what you have...there are those less fortunate LOL hahaha. :D

LOL! I bet I'm in a smaller hick town than you even! I have to go to "the big city" to get to the Wal-Mart! Our town has a tiny little grocery, 2 gas stations, 3 bars, 3 hair shops and 5 churches. DINKY! I live in the middle of a bunch of soy and corn fields ... I suppose our Wal-Mart is out of canning jars for the same reason as yours ... the farmers and gardeners are canning their food. BUMMER for us. :tongue2:

I was (and still will) going to look one by one through their scent list and let you know what I've tried and like. For now off the top of my head so the names might not be exact for a few, I love ....

Pink Sugar- AWESOME

Warm Vanilla Sugar-AWESOME

Pears'n Berries,

Mint Cany Cane,

Gingerbread,

Watermelon (didn't think I would, but its nice in candles and great for kids' B&B products),

Dutch Apple Pie,

Spanish Melon,

Apple Jack'n Peel,

Banana Nut Bread,

Chocolate Kisses (I use in winter for hot cocoa)

Spiced Cranberry (I have a hard time wicking, some don't)

same w/ Clothesline Fresh (I think that's what they call it. I've renamed some so I might get them confused )

Spiced Eggnog

Magenta Nector (love for B&B, for candles I can't remember , I bought the tester made one along w/ 15 others and can't remember if I liked it when I test burned it :embarasse )

Lavander (AWESOME w/ KY's Southern Vanilla, any vanilla I'm sure, that's just the one I use- I call it Lavender Romance)

Strawberry Jam

Sugar Cookies

Birthday Cake

Buttercreme Frosting - yum very strong

....so many more, I'll list more later. REMEMEBER this is my opinion, not everyone likes the same thing. :) The ones I wrote *Awesome* next to are my favorites :drool: .

Not sure if anyone mentioned jjars at Target or Big Lots, maybe Kmart and your Grocery stores definately (I think :D ).