Successful Burn?

Hello experts! Question: Would you consider these a successful burn? Zero soot throughout the burn, good throw, med to med-low steady flames, no mushrooming, and the jars never got excessively hot (which is something I REALLY worry about). At almost all times I could pick up these jars. I could wick up, but should I? I have a couple of other "flavors" than burned quite a bit hotter (with same size wick as those in the pictures) and there is VERY little wax on the jar (just some "droplets"), but at many points throughout the burn, I could not pick up those jars. Anyway, I just can't decide if I think there's too much wax left on these or not. It does obscure seeing the flame somewhat. Is that a big deal?

(FYI Calsoy CB3). Thanks in advance for your help.

post-1910-139458437409_thumb.jpg

post-1910-139458437412_thumb.jpg

post-1910-139458437414_thumb.jpg

Stella,

Thanks for your feedback!

I never touched the sides. I didn't fool with them at all other than trim wick and light. I varied the burns. Always at least four hours, sometimes up to ten. I wanted to vary it as a customer would. 2 LX 20's in each jar.

at many points throughout the burn, I could not pick up those jars.

Thats the problem. You are using soy - you wick hot like you describe then many times you will have too hot of a jar. Now if you use a parasoy you can get by with cooler wicking to completely clear the sides. What will be left is just an only film - not actual wax.

Your other issue is a 4" jar so you usually have to 2x wick. If you don't mind, 2.5 to 2.75" will be much easier to deal with wick-wise in soy. Also apoth jars and others - have a neck so heat is held in - jar gets hotter, etc.

It really is going to be your call on what you want to do. Me personally I can't stand hot jars.

JMO.

I really don't think it's too much hang up on the sides. True they are not "clean", but how many times have you purchased a candle...burned it...and it cleaned the sides? If you can touch these jars after 10 hour marathon burns, you're doing good! I would worry more about heat than totally clean sides. Different fo's burn differently, that's why we test every fo with each wax and wick to get the right combo, so don't be surprised when you do the same thing as before, but it burns hotter or cooler.

I really don't think it's too much hang up on the sides. True they are not "clean", but how many times have you purchased a candle...burned it...and it cleaned the sides?"

Thank you! That's just what I was thinking! I've purchased HUNDREDS of candles over my life time and very few have had a really clean burn. As a candle maker, of course I want my candles to be perfect, but I also have to be realistic. I have to be comfortable with a candle that burns safely rather than having cosmetics be my goal. I wasn't all stressed out while these candles were burning. I've had some (that I've made myself and MANY that I've purchased) that made me a nervous wreck because they burned so hot. Almost every bit of wax was consumed on these candles...that's not too bad I guess.

Yes, I read that thread as it was happening. Lots of good info/data.

I haven't tried CDN's, but I can't get CD's to work worth a crap in this wax with the FO's/dye's that I've used so far. I'm going to stick with this wax because the candle supply house is only a few miles away...no shipping! I'll check out the CDN's and see what happens.

Thanks again.

wow impressive...like you have said not all candles that are store bought burn clean, 1/2 of mine that I buy tunnel big time. I like the fact the jar is not hot that is very important to me as well. so if double wicking it works and no soot I say you have a winner....single wick have your tried Like an RRD 50 or RRD 55? If you would like to try some I would be more then happy to send you a few of each. With the wax I use it usually catches up by the 3rd burn

I'm going to stick with this wax because the candle supply house is only a few miles away...no shipping!

Thanks again.

You are a smart chandler! Cool jars, local wax...be PROUD! You can always use the "cool burning" as a marketing tool. Second guessing ourselves is our nature, but we all need to take a step back and be proud of what we're producing.

wow impressive...like you have said not all candles that are store bought burn clean, 1/2 of mine that I buy tunnel big time. I like the fact the jar is not hot that is very important to me as well. so if double wicking it works and no soot I say you have a winner....single wick have your tried Like an RRD 50 or RRD 55? If you would like to try some I would be more then happy to send you a few of each. With the wax I use it usually catches up by the 3rd burn

That's very kind of you, thanks! I do have/and have tried RRD 50's and 55's, double wicked though, not single. The RRD's I have all leave a lot of black stuff in my wax. Do you have this problem? I've read other threads that mention this as well. No mushrooming really, just black stuff. I get it even worse with HTP's. It ruins my un-dyed candles. Maybe because they're over-wicked. I dunno. It's these things that keep me awake at night!

You are a smart chandler! Cool jars, local wax...be PROUD! You can always use the "cool burning" as a marketing tool. Second guessing ourselves is our nature, but we all need to take a step back and be proud of what we're producing.

You've made my day, thank you. I have spent so much time doubting myself that's it's really hurt my business. I need to quit stressing and JUST DO IT.

lol I think we all stress over the "perfect" candle and it may be perfect in others eyes we always have that self doubt. On some jars I get the black soot but then I know that is from over wicking so one I go down they work for me.

We all have what works for "us" so I say if its working for you then go with it:yay: