C3

You'll have to get some to test. Some people love it, and when you get a good scent in it, it throws GREAT. But it can frost, bubble and crack in weird ways (well, all soy can), but I couldn't put up with it lol. Some swear by it though!

For me, it's easier to get 464 and burns better... if I loved C-3 it would cost more to ship in...

-Kristi

If I am not getting cottage cheese I am getting huge cracks and then sometimes both! I use 415 and I have done almost everything to conquer this wax..but I may be switching to avanced to see if it's me or what!?

I don't use any additives on the norm..but I have tried the crisco...didn't work..I am going to try the Coconut oil. I am going to test advance and palm wax next.

Kimmeroo

You should consider 464... I pour at 150 degrees and get smooth tops and pretty colors... occasional frosting with reds, but not terrible (usually lol). The melt point is low and it's easy to wick. Good scent throw too!

With C-3 I kept wicking higher and higher until the MP was good but I still wasn't happy. I had really bad cracking on the tops too (pouring hot) and really bad cheese pouring cooler.

-Kristi

Oh great! LOL I will be using this wax soon, when I order my supplies. I've read where some coconut oil helps a little. I think like 1 tsp or so per pound of c3. Don't go by what I'm saying because I've yet to make one candle, but in researching c3 so far, I've seen a few mentions of a tad of coconut oil helps smooth tops and help adhesion.

I know exactly what you mean about bubbling. Don't you just like the cottage cheese looking tops? NOT!!! I hate C3, and I also hate EZ Soy. I tried both because they were cheaper. Never again! I will stick with my Ecosoya CB Advanced!

Do you mean after they cure and sit for a while they get cottage cheese/cauliflower tops? I have never gotten tops like that immediately after making candles with C3, sometimes just slightly bumpy if I use too much fo. Now if you want to talk circular cracks...the C3 is infamous for those! They do heat gun out very easily though and don't come back. I don't like EZ soy or GB 415 as it is called both for container candles, but it's fine for melts or to mix with C3 (thanks to Islandgirl's suggestion!) It actually got rid of the circular cracks.

I am not sure what we are doing different either. I've tried everything to get this wax to look good. Pouring cool, pouring hot, pouring slow/fast/ coconut oil - all to no avail! I was able to get a smooth top on small containers only. I had to give up on it. It just wasn't worth the headache to me. Another thing, not only are they ugly when they are poured and cooled, they are really ugly when they burn too. One thing I will say about C3 though - it has an excellent scent throw both hot and cold!

Do you mean after they cure and sit for a while they get cottage cheese/cauliflower tops? quote]

No, I mean immediately after they cool. I have no idea what the deal is. Maybe some bad batches of wax? I hate to speculate on that though and be wrong.

I don't normally use additives either. I try to make everything with just wax, scent and dye. I'm clueless as to what went wrong with that wax.

Another thing. After I burn a C3 candle, the wick oozes black soot down into the wax. it's really weird. I've never had this happen with any other wax. The wicks were CD - the same as I always used.

I don't have any of that wax anymore. I've gone back to the Ecosoya Adv. now and I'm also trying Zinc wicks with it which I really love! I only managed to get through one 10 lbs. bag of the C3 before giving up on it. I sure did love the scent throw though! Maybe some day in the future, when I have the patience, i'll give it another try.

Another thing, not only are they ugly when they are poured and cooled, they are really ugly when they burn too.
Mine are not ugly at either time. I have never seen "cauliflowering" right after a pour. I did see it in 2 candles out of all the ones we've poured and it occurred during storage. Unless I put a top on the cooling candle too soon, I do not ever see "cottage cheese" either. What I see is a smooth top, from tea lights to an 8" 3 wicked bowl my partner made for her mama. The only surface flaws are the occasional "C3 Crack Ring" (and even THAT doesn't happen often) and air bubbles occasionally (if I am careless). My biggest gripe with C3 has been some frosting here and there, due to the dyes and a couple of FOs we choose to use in our candles.

If the air temperature is at all cool (not a typical situation here) during a long burn, the tops will sometimes look BETTER than they did when first poured - smooth and very shiny.

the wick oozes black soot down into the wax
I have burned a LOT of C3 candles and I have never seen this phenomenon! I HAVE seen flecks of burned wick in the wax from time to time, as CDN wicks are self-trimming and a few flecks do fall in... but no oozing soot!

Do you have any pictures of these unfortunate occurrances? All I have here are a few of it frosting a little, but mostly looking great... :wink2:

I only managed to get through one 10 lbs. bag of the C3 before giving up on it.

Ummmmmm, 10 pounds isn't much to form such hardened opinions. But ya know what? If you have found a wax you like better, I think you should stick with it and don't look back! ;)

I agree 10 pounds probably isn't enough to form opinions. I still have to wonder if I had a bad batch. I truly did try everything I could think of. Maybe I will give it another try in the future. I do still have some C3 candles. Next time I burn one I'll get some pics to share. Thanks Stella!

I'm with Stella...I'm not sure what you are all doing. I've never had any of this either. The only thing I have trouble with, which I'm working on right now, is the wet spots in my thick walled tumblers from Genwax. I get them with nothing else, just these. So tempering seems to work and pouring really low, like 120. I do get the ring cracks, but they are teeny, and a quick heat gun gets rid of it. I notice those only when I pour really hot. I hate to think there are "bad batches" of wax...just that they may burn differently. (What fertilizer was used on that crop, etc?) Don't give up! If you are committed to making all-soy candles, find a method that works and a wax you like and then stick with it. You'll be glad you did.:grin2:

I agree 10 pounds probably isn't enough to form opinions. I still have to wonder if I had a bad batch. I truly did try everything I could think of. Maybe I will give it another try in the future. I do still have some C3 candles. Next time I burn one I'll get some pics to share. Thanks Stella!

pm'd ya!

That's all I use is C-3. I love it!! I have had cracks, but I just heat gun it with no problems. Fixes it right away! As far as bubbles go, you just have to pour slowly. I still use my presto pot, with a spout and just pour slowly at 155. Soon I am going to purchase a deep fryer with a spout already on it. They have them at amazon.com.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Kathy