How to figure percentage of FO

The simple way is to make a certain amount of candle mixture rather than start with a certain amount of wax. To make 1 lb of candle mixture, it's simple.

9% FO = 16 x .09 = 1.44 oz

91% wax = 16 x .91 = 14.56 oz

If you must start out with a certain amount of wax, let's say 1 lb, the calculation is less obvious. Since the wax will be 91% of the mixture, you have to figure out what the total amount will come to and then subtract the amount that's wax.

16 / .91 = 17.58 total

17.58 - 16 = 1.58 oz FO

Let me just mention that you can't know how much FO your wax can hold. The number you get from the manufacturer is the maximum it can ideally hold, in their rough estimation. The compatibility of each FO varies and of course they all burn differently. It's best to figure on using less than what the manufacturer states. In the case of 4630, something like 6 to 8% is probably the range to aim for. Finding the best amount of FO is one of those many corners that people often cut when testing to design a candle.

If you were a large enough candle manufacturer to be consulting directly with the wax manufacturer, I assure you they would not be encouraging you to put 9% FO into all your 4630 candles. Not unless you were marketing a line with enhanced sooting ability to create that lived-in look.

I assure you they would not be encouraging you to put 9% FO into all your 4630 candles. Not unless you were marketing a line with enhanced sooting ability to create that lived-in look.

:laugh2: I love a sense of humor on a rainy day!

Good point though! I actually would never have thought of that. Thinking back, any wax description i've read usually includes the words 'up to' and 'recommended' and 'suggested' when it comes to FO retention. It's just a guide line. And of course, they are going to give you the high end of the most optimistic calculations they can give you.

All FO's are different. Perhaps if you buy your FO from the same place as the wax, this might be less of an issue. But I still think there are too many variables to take those numbers too seriously.

(Ok, here comes a big lie but i'm just making a point, lol....)

Yeah. My candle has 15 percent FO load. Does that in and of it's self make it a good candle? Highly unlikely!:D